Cost of Driving an EV

-
IMO what is needed is a standardized battery system and a short range emergency battery you can carry in the trunk with say- 30-40 mile range like what you have left in the tank when the "low fuel" light comes on.

IMO what is needed is a standardized battery system and a short range emergency battery you can carry in the trunk with say- 30-40 mile range like what you have left in the tank when the "low fuel" light comes on.
I have been seeing a few cars backed up to a charging station near a large grocery store here. Plug in for 30 min so you can make it home. :rofl::rofl::steering::steering::steering:

You could also carry that emergency battery like a gas can, to a charging station and back to your car if necessary.

Hello, patent office.......

“Deadhead miles” are the miles of driving done to find a charging station. This cost of gas and electricity were stated but the cost/price if time were not. I would say that for the price / cost of time, would be the persons yearly salary divided by waking hours. And would be in the 30 an hour range for the people driving the cheaper EV’s and would be in the 60 an hour range for the expensive EV’s.

The one thing all these studies miss is: what power source is used for the generation of power. For Portland OR it is Coal and Hydro. Other parts is natural Gas and Solar, or Nucular and Solar, or any other combo of these sources. How green it is driving my EV car in the carpool lane, said the snowflake...
You seem to be quite the authority on Portland Oregon for someone who lives in Southwest Washington..
Seem to be kind of a love hate relationship for you...

Does that actually happen? The people I know with EV's simply use them around town, to commute to work, etc., charge them at home, and have another family vehicle for longer trips. They don't even use a commercial charging station. It seems like a made up cost to exaggerate the author's conclusion.

Their time cost argument is a joke too. If you charge your EV at night (which most people probably do), it should actually save you refueling time. Instead, they show a 7-fold increase in time costs. That alone should have anyone questioning their 'findings.'

View attachment 1715808932
This is in line with exactly how the for a bodies only news and politics klan works.. it's textbook... Find the deep dark corner of the internet that jives with your narrative and post it here...

You seem to be quite the authority on Portland Oregon for someone who lives in Southwest Washington..

I did my time, lived 5 minutes from downtown on west Burnside. Got out of there before it turned into a **** hole like most of the east-side. Go stand you *** on hwy 14 in Vancouver and you’ll see the coal cars rolling from the north side Columbia River tracks, across the train bridge west of Interstate bridge right into the power plant. So ya, keep drinking your soy milk and buy a EV. Bet there’s a few people that will give ya a dollar for the Mopar...

You could also carry that emergency battery like a gas can, to a charging station and back to your car if necessary.
Lol! You do realize modern tech has blown past that years ago, right? These ain't RC cars Dude. These have air & water-cooling w/complex-multiple pumps or blowers, power control relays, operate on 270 or 360 v, have multiple module controls just to manage charging rates & configurations....the battery assy on a Kona weighs over 960#.....how much do You think a "plug & play" back-up worth even just 30 mi of operation weigh? Oh, & the car won't accept a charge or input if it's in "ready" or "drive" mode& won't move once it's plugged in. That kind of back-up **** has to be engineered in & part of the system, & it is, the vehicles are givin' Ya all She's got Cap'n! They already have warning & crawling along modes, .........

Charging at home is the same cost as using your microwave. 7.5¢/kw hr. The telsa charging stations are 17.5¢/kw hr. You can get an 80% charge in twenty minutes. And a range of close to 300 miles. $7.50 to charge at home, $20 at a charging station. I pay more for that to go 300 miles with my gasoline powered car. Ingot the numbers from a guy I know who just bought a Tesla, the smaller one. He said he will use it in the winter, knowing he only needs to go 20 miles round trip. He said he bought it for the self driving technology, but he loves the car already. He does have other vehicles he uses, but the Tesla is the new Number 1 for him.

I did my time, lived 5 minutes from downtown on west Burnside. Got out of there before it turned into a **** hole like most of the east-side. Go stand you *** on hwy 14 in Vancouver and you’ll see the coal cars rolling from the north side Columbia River tracks, across the train bridge west of Interstate bridge right into the power plant. So ya, keep drinking your soy milk and buy a EV. Bet there’s a few people that will give ya a dollar for the Mopar...
Maybe a dollar...
IMG_20200728_163012.jpg

:rolleyes:...

The Tesla has a 30-40mi range at “zero” percent.

I have been seeing a few cars backed up to a charging station near a large grocery store here. Plug in for 30 min so you can make it home. :rofl::rofl::steering::steering::steering:
A lot of those “destination” chargers are free to use. Can’t beat free.

Just get yourself a Tesla solar panel roof. A couple battery packs included, looks to connect to household current. These folks live the next road over. The installation was just winding up when I took these. The porta-john was was for the crew.

IMG_20210712_140335114~2.jpg
IMG_20210712_140330765.jpg

Just get yourself a Tesla solar panel roof. A couple battery packs included, looks to connect to household current. These folks live the next road over. The installation was just winding up when I took these. The porta-john was was for the crew.

View attachment 1715809536 View attachment 1715809538
Those are very cool. Expensive though. The powerwalls (the giant battery packs on the side of the house) are nice. Looked into getting those on my house. It was very hard to justify the cost.

Those are very cool. Expensive though. The powerwalls (the giant battery packs on the side of the house) are nice. Looked into getting those on my house. It was very hard to justify the cost.

I understand installation technique is critical.
These folks are all in. At least two Tesla cars, and now the roof. I wonder how common a similar setup will be in 20 years.

You can't trust the average idiot with hydrogen.
Yea, a group of us tested hydrogen fuel cells several years ago. Punctured and introduced a spark. All remote of course, this testing put the brakes on hydrogen in cars. However, Germany has introduced a hydrogen train that is impressive.

You can't trust the average idiot with hydrogen.
I would do a little research how hydrogen fuel cells work? There is very little relative hydrogen by volume involved. Gasoline is far more dangerous. The drawbacks are still electric storage. But that technology is closing the gap fast. Some of the future technologies (If can be brought to market profitable?) Is crazy efficient. Thousands of miles on charges that takes minutes?

Popular mechanics has been hinting that internal combustion technologies are obsolete for decades. That time (I believe) has come. Today's electric cars can put our hot rods on the trailer. Tomorrow's? Won't be a fair contest.

I would do a little research how hydrogen fuel cells work? There is very little relative hydrogen by volume involved. Gasoline is far more dangerous. The drawbacks are still electric storage. But that technology is closing the gap fast. Some of the future technologies (If can be brought to market profitable?) Is crazy efficient. Thousands of miles on charges that takes minutes?

Popular mechanics has been hinting that internal combustion technologies are obsolete for decades. That time (I believe) has come. Today's electric cars can put our hot rods on the trailer. Tomorrow's? Won't be a fair contest.
In case you have not seen this. Tesla motor in Classic Mopar. This guy is crazy good.

I don't need to be an authority to know Portland is a shithole. I can smell it from Kansas City when the wind blows from the northwest, and it appears as a large blue stain on every map i look at. Still not really sure how that fits into this thread but I ain't real sharp.

For now.

If you're going to cite Popular Mechanics, that's not going to help any point you're trying to make. Hydrogen might better than Nutella on hot toast but the average idiot can only be counted on to do something stupid with it, and the average militant will do amazingly tragic stuff with it.

In case you have not seen this. Tesla motor in Classic Mopar. This guy is crazy good.

But does it have a soul? Get out of here with that day-walker morphodite ****

NOTHING is free. SOMEBODY(IES) is/are picking up the tab...just not You. Hope Ya don't get a flat out there, You're at the mercy of when a dealership opens unless You want to void the warranty.....they're lookin' for techs desperately in this area....had 3-day waiters just for tires...just a heads up....

I was thinking one day they would just have an electric engine swap. Where it just bolts to your motor mounts and bolts to your transmission and you take your gas tank out and mount the battery instead...

-
Back