Cost of Driving an EV

-
Why would you need to change out brand new batteries?

You would buy a car that had the standardized batteries as original equipment.

There's likely a market for cordless tool battery adapters that let you use currently produced batteries in tools they are no longer marketed for.

I've made my own, but if you could sell a low priced (it's "only" plastic and a little brass/copper) adapter and current production batteries could be had cheaply enough, it may be the impetus for not simply throwing away a set of otherwise nice and functional tools simply because you can't buy batteries with the proper connector.

We seem to have stabilized on 18/20V for the past several years, so that's a plus for the above plan.
Really. It's amazing that not one cordless tool mfr shares a standardized batt attachment with another 40yrs in, Snap-on can't settle on one in-house, DeWalt had a redesign but at least sell a batt/charger/adapter kit. I was using the old 9v Makita's in the mid-'80's when they were the only real game in town, but things change......
You keep talking as if these are just large RC cars or cordless tools, ridiculous......
The performance, safety, & durability requires precise temp & current management. New HEV/EV batts that at the top are water-cooled, take special antifreeze/coolant, & need the complex system bled in an automated process that takes 15-20mins...and may have to be repeated twice before the vehicles sensors give the control module the"all clear" to operate. If it is not done correctly, the vehicle will jump into a "power reduced" mode, read crawling along.......a lot of these are under or in the floor, and just as big, weigh anywhere from 1/3-1/2 a ton as an assy. Full of sensors, coolant, relays, modules, etc.
You're still in fantasy camp Dude........

What I'm saying is you buy a new Tesla with a warranty on the battery once you change it out you no longer have a warranty because you swapped it out. So now you have a new car and voided the warranty.
If the battery fails while warranted by Tesla, & is replaced by Tesla, it will not void any warranty.....ANY work...even tires will void the warr tho' if not perf by Tesla, which violates the Right to Repair act..(Magnusson-Moss)..if I'm not mistaken..

If the battery fails while warranted by Tesla, & is replaced by Tesla, it will not void any warranty.....ANY work...even tires will void the warr tho' if not perf by Tesla, which violates the Right to Repair act..(Magnusson-Moss)..if I'm not mistaken..
That's not what I'm saying, Anyone out there get what I mean?

What I'm saying is you buy a new Tesla with a warranty on the battery once you change it out you no longer have a warranty because you swapped it out. So now you have a new car and voided the warranty.
Charge times are getting shorter all the time. It's possible at some time in the future the time it takes to charge a battery will be less than the time it takes to fill a tank with fuel. And at that point people will stop driving IC cars because they won't be able to tolerate the wasted time refueling their vehicles.

Charge times are getting shorter all the time. It's possible at some time in the future the time it takes to charge a battery will be less than the time it takes to fill a tank with fuel. And at that point people will stop driving IC cars because they won't be able to tolerate the wasted time refueling their vehicles.
Well my idea would to be to install a induction charge system in sections of the road to charge them when they need it. It could be a off ramp to a section of roadway like a service drive. You never have to stop just don't drink any water. lol Now someone pay me for my idea!

That's not what I'm saying, Anyone out there get what I mean?
You mean IF batt swapping replaces recharging, that is a right to repair conundrum now isn't it? Don't worry, Tesla will probably be out of business before that happens.....

This is the most likely scenario.......

You mean IF batt swapping replaces recharging, that is a right to repair conundrum now isn't it? Don't worry, Tesla will probably be out of business before that happens.....
Yes it is a conundrum so what would be your solution?

Just waiting on the right "innovator" to seize the opportunity.

Kind of like applying an automated slicer to existing loaves of bread.

Happens quite frequently, throughout history.

The problem, wind generation alone would take (to be generous) approx 700,000-750,000 driven turbines to replace coal plant production in this country...$$$$....solar, while better than ever, still only using 2/3's of the potential...when the sun is out, while the sun is out, if the sun is out ....or not for weeks....

In a way the future is here. A Tesla supercharger will charge at a rate of 300-400 miles/hour. But depends on how many cars charging at the same time.

Sat with a guy once talking about his idea on a near-space-based solar array using a optical laser like "tunnel" to an earth-based distribution center.

His proposed numbers on generation potential were ridiculous.

The market value of Tesla is meaningless if the only way to make money with your stock is to buy low and sell high. Holding stocks that produce no dividend but have high market value is a textbook "bubble" waiting to pop...

-
Back