Cost of Driving an EV

-
Oil is not a "fossil fuel",.....neither is natural gas......

Oh, it’s not the finite resource they claim it to be? LoL

You know we’re going to get red x’s from the muppets, right? LoL

Just like the CO2 level is too high and causing climate change? And so your telling me more people are exhaling, and more trees are growing?

And the only reason these cartel pricks in DC and OPEC have the price jacked up is to rape and pillage the earth to take the hard earned money from the people’s pockets?

Oil running out is a shame...

They want people to have EV cars as it is easier to flip the switch off and everyone is stuck.

You think the military is RFP’ing battery powered Tanks, planes, or any other equipment?

Short answer: Hell No

All these comparisons are based on today's technology. EV is advancing much faster than conventional internal combustion technologies. And it is going to win. Hell, EV damn near won the production wars of over 100 years ago. When the next generation solid state battery technology mates with let's say hydrogen fuel cell? It's over. Even diesel will not be able to compete for highway use. (Will still be relative in heavy equipment and large rail/ship freight.)

The bottom line? Electric motors are more efficient and have a superior torque curve than fuel engines. So no sence arguing the inevitable. There will still be support for classic car enthusiasts. It's not one or the other. We can be excited about newer generation transportation technologies. As well as appreciate the "Cool" factor of the past?
It's been over 20 yrs since I watched Alan Alda cover the new hydrogen storage tank tech with what looked like large carbon hockey pucks, this enabled safer "quick filling", disappeared....& lets not ignore that it takes a bunch of electricity to generate significant amounts of hydrogen from water, the only real real safe & plentiful source. Believe Me, I'd love to see hydrogen become a feasible fuel, it just ain't yet. & that's for real..

I keep seeing this "EV" WTF Does that mean? Electric vehicle? Why the hell can't we just say Electric vehicle?

Say what you want about the politics or economics of having an EV, but they are fun as hell. One taste of the acceleration and you will be addicted. Took our 2021 Model Y on a 1700mi road trip and paid about $50 in charging fees along the way. The Tesla supercharger network is amazing and only getting better. Never had to wait and most are right off the freeways. The newest and oldest cars in my stable…

985D1717-EACB-4B0A-83B8-9BB9D6BC6BDA.jpeg

Oh, it’s not the finite resource they claim it to be? LoL

You know we’re going to get red x’s from the muppets, right? LoL

Just like the CO2 level is too high and causing climate change? And so your telling me more people are exhaling, and more trees are growing?

And the only reason these cartel pricks in DC and OPEC have the price jacked up is to rape and pillage the earth to take the hard earned money from the people’s pockets?

Oil running out is a shame...

They want people to have EV cars as it is easier to flip the switch off and everyone is stuck.

You think the military is RFP’ing battery powered Tanks, planes, or any other equipment?

Short answer: Hell No
I don't have any angle to My posts except reality, proven science, and grounded expectations. See no reason for any "x"ing. It just seems some fall all over themselves making excuses for current shortcomings of EV's.....(see what I did there.....sigh..)

It's been over 20 yrs since I watched Alan Alda cover the new hydrogen storage tank tech with what looked like large carbon hockey pucks, this enabled safer "quick filling", disappeared....& lets not ignore that it takes a bunch of electricity to generate significant amounts of hydrogen from water, the only real real safe & plentiful source. Believe Me, I'd love to see hydrogen become a feasible fuel, it just ain't yet. & that's for real..

There are loads of ways to generate hydrogen. it's the most abundant element in the universe after all...

There are loads of ways to generate hydrogen. it's the most abundant element in the universe after all...
List please, & how many kws it takes to produce an avg "tankful"..

Consider:
1. The current load on the electric grid just for homes and businesses, and it’s only going to grow. Adding vehicles will really overload the grids
2. The fact that many “green” states already have programs removing hydro, coal, gas and nuke power plants. This is creating increasing demand on the remaining sources of electricity.
3. Wind doesn’t always blow, and no one, especially the Greenies and the rich, connected people in certain upscale coastal
communities, want to see them all over formerly open land and off shore. And the windmills are known to kill birds.
4. The sun will not always be optimum and solar farms are land intensive. Solar farms collect a lot of heat, which is mostly fatal to the native plants and animals.
5. The solar panels and batteries use rare earth minerals that are usually mined in 3rd world countries under very sketchy conditions.

All of these concerns are very real and may eventually be overcome, but we aren’t there yet.

Say what you want about the politics or economics of having an EV, but they are fun as hell. One taste of the acceleration and you will be addicted. Took our 2021 Model Y on a 1700mi road trip and paid about $50 in charging fees along the way. The Tesla supercharger network is amazing and only getting better. Never had to wait and most are right off the freeways. The newest and oldest cars in my stable…

View attachment 1715808976
You have a lot of experience of driving your Tesla long distances.
It would be cool if you want to share some insight!

WTF is WTF? Why can't we just say What The ****? LOL! Oh, apologies, Laugh Out Loud!
Well what the **** isn't exactly appropriate. Haha but you got me! I wasn't picking on the op I just keep seeing that crap everywhere Ev this Ev that I didn't know what the heck that ment. Lol I saw a commercial last night it was the all new EV Mercedes I was like what does that mean? I didn't know what ev was till I read the ops link lol

You have a lot of experience of driving your Tesla long distances.
It would be cool if you want to share some insight!

I’ve got an app that connects to the car and gets data from the power company. It figures out how much I’m saving in gas. I’ve only had the car since August and I’m already at $500 saved.

912EA245-AF6A-4B2E-B713-4495642728DE.jpeg

Today's EV demands about as much as installing a second water heater.

New housing starts effect the grid WAY more.
OK, so every new home has 2 hot water heaters, but 2 adults & 2 driving age offspring with their own rides makes 5 hot water heaters. And I'm happy with My 18yr old tankless hot water heater.....natural gas fired, thanks very much.....300 amp entrances can't be far off......

OK, so every new home has 2 hot water heaters, but 2 adults & 2 driving age offspring with their own rides makes 5 hot water heaters. And I'm happy with My 18yr old tankless hot water heater.....natural gas fired, thanks very much.....300 amp entrances can't be far off......

Is a hot water heater different than a cold water heater? :poke:

BTW, the cordless mower runs about 1hr15min if the grass ain't too thick/high/damp, any of the above keeps it ramped up & lasts about 45-50min.....BUT....takes almost 8hrs to charge both 10ah batteries with the chargers provided, that's simultaneously.....

BTW, the cordless mower runs about 1hr15min if the grass ain't too thick/high/damp, any of the above keeps it ramped up & lasts about 45-50min.....BUT....takes almost 8hrs to charge both 10ah batteries with the chargers provided, that's simultaneously.....
That is about how long it takes me to cut my grass with a 42 inch riding mower

Just about 1 acre of grass

That is about how long it takes me to cut my grass with a 42 inch riding mower

Just about 1 acre of grass
Right. If the grass is relatively short & dry, and You walk at a good pace, You can cover about 1/2 acre. But the faster You walk, the less the quality of cut, because the motor speed tends to stay on low in those conditions(light load). I considered buying 2 back-up batts, would cost almost as much as buying a 2nd mower....which I might....

Right. If the grass is relatively short & dry, and You walk at a good pace, You can cover about 1/2 acre. But the faster You walk, the less the quality of cut, because the motor speed tends to stay on low in those conditions(light load). I considered buying 2 back-up batts, would cost almost as much as buying a 2nd mower....which I might....
if the mowers are anything like any other battery powered tool, it would be cheaper to buy a whole new set up and get your extra battery and charger that way, then it would to buy a separate extra battery

if the mowers are anything like any other battery powered tool, it would be cheaper to buy a whole new set up and get your extra battery and charger that way, then it would to buy a separate extra battery
Hence "which I might", lol..
If anybody's interested, Tractor Supply has a 2pack of 60v Max flex-volt 6ah for $200, that's 1/2 off/BOGO. They aren't compatible w/the mower, but got them to back-up the 9ah batt that came with the chainsaw.....had to get a raincheck...wonder why? Lol!

For me cost has to include everything in the life of the vehicle from purchase to disposition.
Purchase, maintenance, fueling, resale value...

Alan

This guy gets it. Current EV's have a very limited lifetime. A new battery is a major expense that totals the vehicle, and you can't park your EV for 20 years and then start driving again, you still have to replace that battery, just like conventional vehicles. Ask the older Pruis owners.... oh wait, they got the bill for a new battery and dumped the cars. Nobody considered the environmental costs of a vehicle that needs to be replaced every decade or two, whereas every car in my driveway except the wife's caliber is 20+ and still running. Well, at the moment...., But, those are all cars where environmental impact of manufacture is already done. I have to factor that CO2 cost of manufacture in with the total bill and that's a LOT of driven miles to justify making a whole new car.

All these comparisons are based on today's technology. EV is advancing much faster than conventional internal combustion technologies. And it is going to win. Hell, EV damn near won the production wars of over 100 years ago. When the next generation solid state battery technology mates with let's say hydrogen fuel cell? It's over. Even diesel will not be able to compete for highway use. (Will still be relative in heavy equipment and large rail/ship freight.)

The bottom line? Electric motors are more efficient and have a superior torque curve than fuel engines. So no sence arguing the inevitable. There will still be support for classic car enthusiasts. It's not one or the other. We can be excited about newer generation transportation technologies. As well as appreciate the "Cool" factor of the past?

Electric motors aren't the issue, and have had as many years of technical refinement as gas engines. Let's talk batteries, the true roadblock here. Many of the road blocks for batteries from 100 years ago still apply.

Today's EV demands about as much as installing a second water heater.

New housing starts effect the grid WAY more.

And if everybody in your subdivision adds two new water heaters, your infrastructure just required an upgrade. The cost of which is borne by the first generation EV drivers, right?

This is true and many people don't consider what people who don't own garages or private parking will do for charging.

Nor does the discussion address what happens when you run out of fuel in the middle of a field. Someone gonna bring you a 5 gallon bucket of AA's?

Or folks in colder environs. Sun doesn't shine for 6 months at a time on a significant portion the planet, and Ice build up on windmills is real.

The short answer is this. Pushing EV's to replace gas engines is a fool's game. Allowing them to take their natural course of evolution is the safest course because they're NOT right for everybody. Trying to FORCE this is foolish and short sighted, and often pushed by the same people who don't know how to function when the lights go out for a week. None of them understands that electricity (and fuel supplies) are built in a house of cards.

I guarantee you that knocking down our grid is something that China is researching right this minute, and it's very possible that they're manipulating social media to push an EV agenda, too. Why not, if you're in the EV game and we buy everything needed from you?

I use gas weed eaters for a ditch on my property, and it's a pain. But it's less of a pain than buying a half dozen batteries, or dragging an extensible cord, or setting up electric service when huge swaths of the earth don't have that. How long do I have to work to buy those batteries when the gas weed eater is paid for? Should i toss my gas model even though it works? Reduce and reuse are the other sides of the recycle triangle, and nobody ever thinks about those. How much CO2 does Amazon's delivery service cost over the postal service and waiting 3 days? I guarantee that many people pushing EV tech are also ordering on Amazon every damn day, never mind that the existing and parallel delivery network is already there. Isn't that a waste of resources and source of CO2? Oh, but the same gummint that's going to bring EV's to life can't deliver the mail on time, if at all. And that infrastructure is already in place.

And as I've said for years, one massive volcanic eruption or meteor strike will leave these people BEGGING for some global warming. What would a volcanic winter do for your solar panels?

Last edited:
Hydrogen fuel cells are still way too dangerous, as are supercapacitors. The SC's are also plagued with rapid degradation and density problems.

I'd LOVE to see a safe hydrogen fuel cell, that's ideal. And I agree, it's only a matter of time before someone figures something out. In the mean time, they are making huge strides on the rest of the tech which is great. By the time the power source is figured out, maybe they'll be flying. haha
I agree, Hydrogen Fuel Cells are ideal but make a EV battery fire look like a walk in the park.

-
Back