Cost of Driving an EV

-
Standardized batteries (or a modular standardized system) solves a lot of the problems mentioned above.
Yes but are going to willing to exchange your brand new batteries out? Not me.

Yes but are going to willing to exchange your brand new batteries out? Not me.
We do it with propane tanks today. (Maybe not exactly the same but similar concept.)

Not sure about other brands but Tesla warranties their battery for 8yrs/120k miles so I’m not too worried.

Not sure about other brands but Tesla warranties their battery for 8yrs/120k miles so I’m not too worried.
Wish I had that much warranty on my diesel pickup motor when it self distructed. Cost as much as a battery pack to replace it.

On another note, who wants to sit for 30 minutes at a charging station waiting for their car charge on a roadtrip?
Is this going to be the return of roadside attractions?[/QUOTE]
Somebody stopping for lunch?

Wow. I’m at about 11cents and my hot water is on a separate meter so I pay 5.5 cents for that.
The rate wasn't actually on the bill, so I went by a rate published in an old newsletter. I just calculated it from the last bill I had there, and it was $0.079. It's such a rinky dink little power department with only a few employees that work at different village jobs when needed.

Form a watchdog webpage:

• Residential Electricity in Holley
    • The average residential electricity rate in Holley is 8.85¢/kWh.[1]
    • This average (residential) electricity rate in Holley is 49.77% less than the New York average rate of 17.62¢/kWh.[2]
    • The average (residential) electricity rate in Holley is 25.51% less than the national average rate of 11.88¢/kWh. Residential rates in the U.S. range from 8.37¢/kWh to 37.34¢/kWh.[2]

So about half the going rate. A nice little perk, but the water is expensive.

As a cost to charge example, I’ll share my situation. The Model Y has a 75kwh battery. I try to keep the battery between 20-80% charge to prolong battery life. This means, on an average day, I charge it to 80% full at night and assume all my driving during the days takes me down to 25%. Charging from 20% to 80% requires 45kwh. During “super off peak” hours, I pay about 1.5c/kWh. That means it costs me $0.67 a night to charge. That 45kwh provides 180mi of range. Now consider how much does it cost to go 180mi in your car.

As a cost to charge example, I’ll share my situation. The Model Y has a 75kwh battery. I try to keep the battery between 20-80% charge to prolong battery life. This means, on an average day, I charge it to 80% full at night and assume all my driving during the days takes me down to 25%. Charging from 20% to 80% requires 45kwh. During “super off peak” hours, I pay about 1.5c/kWh. That means it costs me $0.67 a night to charge. That 45kwh provides 180mi of range. Now consider how much does it cost to go 180mi in your car.
Ya lets figure in the real price. How much did you pay for it? Is it a Volt or a Suburban? And where do you pay 1.5 cents? Do you live in southern Calif. or North Dakota? is it leased? So you drive about 108 miles per day? I would really like to figure it out. Is it 100% electric?

o ps I don't know what a model y is but I do know what a model T is.

So why would Tesla warranty a generic battery?
They wouldn’t. We’re talking a whole different infrastructure and business model with this concept. I’m just commenting that I’ve seen several folks fear a battery replacement. Tesla has pretty much eliminated that concern, for me anyway.

Last edited:
Ya lets figure in the real price. How much did you pay for it? Is it a Volt or a Suburban? And where do you pay 1.5 cents? Do you live in southern Calif. or North Dakota? is it leased? So you drive about 108 miles per day? I would really like to figure it out. Is it 100% electric?

I live in Georgia. And that 1.5c/kWh is only between 11pm to 7am. That’s why I charge during those hours only. No, I don’t necessarily drive 180mi a day, that’s just an example. Usually my driving is much less so that just makes my charging costs even lower. I own the car and do not lease it. You can find the prices on their website if you really want them. I don’t think the cost of this particular car is too relevant. It wasn’t an economic/business decision for me. There are plenty of cheaper options out there.

If the roads were salted it would be assault and battery.

As long as they don't pull a salt rifle...

Salt rifle.jpg

I live in Georgia. And that 1.5c/kWh is only between 11pm to 7am. That’s why I charge during those hours only. No, I don’t necessarily drive 180mi a day, that’s just an example. Usually my driving is much less so that just makes my charging costs even lower. I own the car and do not lease it. You can find the prices on their website if you really want them. I don’t think the cost of this particular car is too relevant. It wasn’t an economic/business decision for me. There are plenty of cheaper options out there.

I just wanted to know where you can get electric so cheap. In Georgia you can get away with more than we can in Michigan. Now me I drive a Suburban 4x4. About 450 mile per tank. Big tank. lol Me and my wife don't like driving small cars. She's got a new Caravan. She likes being up high to see the traffic ahead. I checked the price on the Tesla's but way to small. But who's to say with people paying 10-15 grand for a 318 Dart or Scamp. The smaller cars I think that are good is a Subaru Outback or a VW. These are quality cars and reasonably priced. I personably think for the average person that the price difference even at 1.5 cents per KW you would have to drive over 150K. 30 grand buys a lot of fuel.

We do it with propane tanks today. (Maybe not exactly the same but similar concept.)
I agree, to bring electric cars to the masses you would have to increase the options of charging to battery swaps.
On another note, who wants to sit for 30 minutes at a charging station waiting for their car charge on a roadtrip?
Is this going to be the return of roadside attractions?
Somebody stopping for lunch?[/QUOTE]
I think you are kind of right. Just did our first 1800 mile roadtrip with a electric car. It was pretty fun. We did plan our lunch around charging. Looked for the best place we could eat. Feels like there will be new road side attractions to make driving a electric car even more fun.

[/QUOTE]
I think you are kind of right. Just did our first 1800 mile roadtrip with a electric car. It was pretty fun. We did plan our lunch around charging. Looked for the best place we could eat. Feels like there will be new road side attractions to make driving a electric car even more fun.[/QUOTE]

Agree. On road trips we usually grab some lunch and take it to the charger. Then eat and watch some Netflix while it charges.

I think you are kind of right. Just did our first 1800 mile roadtrip with a electric car. It was pretty fun. We did plan our lunch around charging. Looked for the best place we could eat. Feels like there will be new road side attractions to make driving a electric car even more fun.[/QUOTE]

Agree. On road trips we usually grab some lunch and take it to the charger. Then eat and watch some Netflix while it charges.[/QUOTE]
Netflix! I'm a cheap bastard, we sing songs to each other while we are charging!

:poke::eek:
I think you are kind of right. Just did our first 1800 mile roadtrip with a electric car. It was pretty fun. We did plan our lunch around charging. Looked for the best place we could eat. Feels like there will be new road side attractions to make driving a electric car even more fun.

Agree. On road trips we usually grab some lunch and take it to the charger. Then eat and watch some Netflix while it charges.[/QUOTE]
Netflix! I'm a cheap bastard, we sing songs to each other while we are charging![/QUOTE]
GASP! Singing increases all of Your CO2 outputs by like 500%.!!!

I personably think for the average person that the price difference even at 1.5 cents per KW you would have to drive over 150K. 30 grand buys a lot of fuel.

i looked at the tesla model 3 (all wheel drive and optional larger battery) before i bought my subaru impreza. it was a cool car and i'd have definitely been interested in it at a cheaper price. the tesla was about 50,000 dollars..got my subaru for almost 30,000 dollars cheaper. at roughly 30 mpg out of the subaru it would take years to make up that 30,000 dollar price difference in gas costs.

good thing is more and more manufactures are coming out with full electric cars so the price will come down and quality will come up as the years go by...

Last edited:
Why would you need to change out brand new batteries?

You would buy a car that had the standardized batteries as original equipment.

There's likely a market for cordless tool battery adapters that let you use currently produced batteries in tools they are no longer marketed for.

I've made my own, but if you could sell a low priced (it's "only" plastic and a little brass/copper) adapter and current production batteries could be had cheaply enough, it may be the impetus for not simply throwing away a set of otherwise nice and functional tools simply because you can't buy batteries with the proper connector.

We seem to have stabilized on 18/20V for the past several years, so that's a plus for the above plan.

Why would you need to change out brand new batteries?

You would buy a car that had the standardized batteries as original equipment.

There's likely a market for cordless tool battery adapters that let you use currently produced batteries in tools they are no longer marketed for.

I've made my own, but if you could sell a low priced (it's "only" plastic and a little brass/copper) adapter and current production batteries could be had cheaply enough, it may be the impetus for not simply throwing away a set of otherwise nice and functional tools simply because you can't buy batteries with the proper connector.

We seem to have stabilized on 18/20V for the past several years, so that's a plus for the above plan.

What I'm saying is you buy a new Tesla with a warranty on the battery once you change it out you no longer have a warranty because you swapped it out. So now you have a new car and voided the warranty.

-
Back