$$ Cost on a disc brake change $$

-

BigRichieO

Colorado Mopar
Reaction score
I currently have drum brakes all the way around on my Dart, my buddies keep telling me I need to switch over to disc at least on the front. To keep the cost down I was hoping to change over to SBP discs so I can keep the same wheels and tires. My question is, what is my total cost going to be on this type of conversion. Is there a kit that I can buy or do I just need to start collecting parts? Thanks in advance for advice and comments.

Hi Rich, I converted the front brakes on my 68 Barracuda to discs and kept the sbp. I purchased a kit from Jegs made by SSBC part# W153 (this should be the same kit for your application), cost for this kit is not cheap, was eight hundred. Its bolts straight up to your existing spindles, the minor problems I did encounter was my rims were rubbing against the calipers so a 1/4" spacer was required behind them and the lines on top of the calipers had to be repostioned because they too were rubbing against my rims. I'm running 14x6 steelies on the front of my car.

I did the Wilwood kit, it was only 685, but i stuck with that because i had the 9" spindles. but if you go the Wilwood route, you will need new flex lines, and remember to swap out the proportioning valve probably the master cylinder, at least I did. i got to keep the small bolt pattern and its not rubbing against my Craiger SS wheels

buy a kit done im doing a swap now with kelsey hayes im spending alot just spend 700$ call it done

Why not stick with the drums and order a Stage III drum kit from musclecarbrakes.com. They say thay are as good as disc brakes. $850. Have a set waiting for me at customs.

All the best Gary

Want lower $ set up

FMJ spindles
Get 73-76 uppers or mod your current ones with a larger ball joint sleeve.
Grab a disc prop valve or put an adjustable in the rear line.

Might spend $400

Here's my breakdown
FMJ spindles/calipers/rotors $65
Cut rotors $25
New Calipers/pads $60
New Hoses $20
Bearings/Seals $20
Uppers $55
UCA Bushing $24
Moog Ball Joints Upper/lower $115
Paint $12

Total $396

Modding the old upper arms would cost you about $12

The results...
brakeconversion.jpg

Be patient and you can find stuff. E-bay sometimes has some great deals

I currently have drum brakes all the way around on my Dart, my buddies keep telling me I need to switch over to disc at least on the front. To keep the cost down I was hoping to change over to SBP discs so I can keep the same wheels and tires. My question is, what is my total cost going to be on this type of conversion. Is there a kit that I can buy or do I just need to start collecting parts? Thanks in advance for advice and comments.

Rich, any updates?

-
Back