Country Music

-

4spdragtop

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Watching a new series on PBS called "Country Music" by Ken Burns. All the way from the 20's/30's on up. Great clips/info and history. Very cool! :thumbsup::popcorn:

Suicide music, but, kinda like some of it, the music that is.

We've been watchin that too. But tonight it's the original Poseidon Adventure. lol

Story telling, culture and changes, such cool old footage. Messages and stories the songs are about is cool. Kris Kristofferson is a genius.

You know what happens when you play Country Music backwards?
Your wife comes back, your dog comes back, and your pickup starts.
LOL

You know what happens when you play Country Music backwards?
Your wife comes back, your dog comes back, and your pickup starts.
LOL

I always liked the hits , but most of the crying in your beer music , I cant stand .
''Most of the today" , crumpled hat ding dongs , I cant stand to even look at !!
I doubt very many of them ever had to run a couple hundred head out of the blackjacks to spray them every month, or load 3 tons of hay to feed them every evening after school when it was the hell below freezing either !

I'm by no means a county guy but I appreciate the roots, and the early stuff to about the 70's.

I saw the last episode that started with Johnny Cash and Roger Miller, and ended with Dolly Parton.

I'd like to see the earlier ones.

Conway Twitty's tour bus pulled into the parking lot of the grocery store I worked at in high school. He was a hoot! I dared him to kick the swinging doors to the produce dept open, and say "Hello Darlin!" to my buddy that was working in there. He did it....lol. My buddy liked to have died, as he was one of Conway's biggest fans. Good times! :D

Lmao! Once in a lifetime! Thanks for.sharing.
Conway Twitty's tour bus pulled into the parking lot of the grocery store I worked at in high school. He was a hoot! I dared him to kick the swinging doors to the produce dept open, and say "Hello Darlin!" to my buddy that was working in there. He did it....lol. My buddy liked to have died, as he was one of Conway's biggest fans. Good times! :D

I didn't know half of all that about Hank Jr.

Graham Parsons is kind of an up until last year unsung local celebrity around here.
Nice to see them give him a fair amount of time.

Guess I will tell my George Jones story again.....

Back around 1991, I had just gotten an "improper start" ticket.
(that's a burnout)
I elected to go to traffic school and the day of the school was the day after a big concert.
(might have been Lolapalooza I in Orlando)

The school was held at a small hotel, right off I-4 at Lakeland FL.
I was working in the hospitality field at the time and I had a plan.
I knew two of the desk clerks and arranged to get a room.

I got there about 1:30 am pretty well stinking drunk.
When I pulled into the parking lot, the only other vehicle was a tour bus.

I went in and squared away the room, asking for a wake up call 45 min before the class started.
I also asked what the deal was with the bus.
The clerk said- "Oh, that's George Jones (who owned some property in the area including a trailer park named "Tammy-ville", and had also recently received a ticket for DUI on his lawn mower). He's in there driving the bartender crazy. If you go in, he'll probably buy you a drink.

So I went in and for the next hour or so listened to George slur on and consumed another must have been five or so beers.

Not sure what time exactly they quit serving us, but I remember him turning on what was left of his charm to get "just one more" several times.

Next thing I remember is the phone ringing and looking at the clock, which said I had 5 min to get to the meeting room. Apparently they had been calling for 40 min!

I staggered in, probably reeking of stale PBR, barely able to stay awake and possibly hiccuping, but passed the class. I can't remember if I even said anything about what I was doing a few short hours ago.

That is a cool story, thanks for sharing. I like the fact they are sharing the good and bad about them.
Back around 1991, I had just gotten an "improper start" ticket.
(that's a burnout)
I elected to go to traffic school and the day of the school was the day after a big concert.
(might have been Lolapalooza I in Orlando)

The school was held at a small hotel, right off I-4 at Lakeland FL.
I was working in the hospitality field at the time and I had a plan.
I knew two of the desk clerks and arranged to get a room.

I got there about 1:30 am pretty well stinking drunk.
When I pulled into the parking lot, the only other vehicle was a tour bus.

I went in and squared away the room, asking for a wake up call 45 min before the class started.
I also asked what the deal was with the bus.
The clerk said- "Oh, that's George Jones (who owned some property in the area including a trailer park named "Tammy-ville", and had also recently received a ticket for DUI on his lawn mower). He's in there driving the bartender crazy. If you go in, he'll probably buy you a drink.

So I went in and for the next hour or so listened to George slur on and consumed another must have been five or so beers.

Not sure what time exactly they quit serving us, but I remember him turning on what was left of his charm to get "just one more" several times.

Next thing I remember is the phone ringing and looking at the clock, which said I had 5 min to get to the meeting room. Apparently they had been calling for 40 min!

I staggered in, probably reeking of stale PBR, barely able to stay awake and possibly hiccuping, but passed the class. I can't remember if I even said anything about what I was doing a few short hours ago.

Watching a new series on PBS called "Country Music" by Ken Burns. All the way from the 20's/30's on up. Great clips/info and history. Very cool! :thumbsup::popcorn:
Seriously, I am not the biggest CW music fan, but a series about the roots of it does sound really good. I will definitely give the shows a try. I saw something the other day about a black soul music artist from the late 50s early sixties who also did CW, and he was on Grand old Opre several times. That surprised me. Looking forward to watching the show.

The roots/beginning and upbringing of cw and the artists is what interests me. I like some cw, but to see their struggle and obstacles they overcame is amazing.
Brenda Lee was the "bread winner" of her household at 7 years old? WOW
Seriously, I am not the biggest CW music fan, but a series about the roots of it does sound really good. I will definitely give the shows a try. I saw something the other day about a black soul music artist from the late 50s early sixties who also did CW, and he was on Grand old Opre several times. That surprised me. Looking forward to watching the show.

My sixth grade reading teacher lived three doors down from us growing up. Razzy Bailey (google him) was at that time a real big time local country star. He actually made it pretty big. Anyway, he was friends with my teacher and her husband. They always let us know when he was comin by so we could go see him and visit. He was big enough he made it on Hee Haw. He was super cool. He's still kickin in Alabama somewhere.

I found it fitting that they pretty much ended the story with the death of Johnny Cash.

I did notice a couple conspicuous absences.

I saw no mention whatsoever of "Hee Haw", which in the 70's and early 80's was pretty much the face of country music.

...and speaking of Hee Haw, they spent a fair amount of time on Buck Owens in episode 6 and then a bit more in episode 8, but I only remember one still pic of Roy Clark.

BTW- I LOVED that they said Buck took car speakers into the recording studio and adjusted his mix to sound good on them versus the likely state of the art studio monitors with flat frequency response and big woofers.

I actually did that myself during my brief live sound and 4 track studio recording phase.

It works!

Last edited:
I found it fitting that the pretty much ended the story with the death of Johnny Cash.

I did notice a couple conspicuous absences.

I saw no mention whatsoever of "Hee Haw", which i the 70's and early 80's was pretty much the face of country music.

...and speaking of Hee Haw, they spent a fair amount of time on Buck Owens in episode 6 and then a bit more in episode 8, but I only remember one still pic of Roy Clark.

BTW- I LOVED that they said Buck took car speakers into the recording studio and adjusted his mix to sound good on them versus the likely state of the art studio monitors with flat frequency response and big woofers.

I actually did that myself during my brief live sound and 4 track studio recording phase.

It works!

I remember Buck saying in an interview that he and Don Rich were the first two to experiment by turning all the bass out of their amps and the treble all the way up. They had a signature sound for sure. Do you perhaps remember a show on TV not too long ago called "Can You Duet"? My son and I went to Nashville and auditioned. We stood out in front of The Wild Horse Saloon with probably 2500 people. Every now and then someone would break out in practice......my son would look at me and say "Daddy they SUCK". LOL We tuned up and broke out with "It's Crying Time" Buck Owens style and you couldda heard a pin drop when we got done. Got a standing ovation from 2500 people. We made it to round four......RIGHT before you got on TV. One of the producers told us before we left not to give up because he thought we were the best there. He said we just didn't have "the package". The GQ looks, or long legs and big boobs. That was his direct quote. Those shows aren't lookin for true talent. They don't care about talent anymore really. That's why they invented autotune.

Last edited:
I don't know whether to give you a like, a thanks or an agree.....

-
Back