Coupling seal retainer

-

Roadart

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
With the shaft hooked to the p s box in the car (72 dart) how do you get the retainer tabs fastened to the coupling ? I put a 3" clamp on one side other side comes off. Not enough room to put 2 clamps on.

Great idea. was hoping I did not have to take it apart AGAIN. Thanks for that.

That looks like a boot from Bergman auto. You still need the metal retainer to hold the assembly together

I got the tabs bent in slightly on one side. Used zip ties to pull the other end down, then staked in the tabs with a flat screwdriver and a hammer

I was not able to secure my coupler cover with the column inside the car. Had to pull it out and lay it on a bench. I wasted two nights trying to do it to “save time”, should have pulled it out much sooner. Dumb *** I am...

The directions for the part from bergman say,it replaces the seal and metal retainer.

One of the best tips I ever got from a seasoned Chrysler service tech probably wont help at this point.
Of course pull the steering wheel and leave it in the car. Take the steering column to workbench.
Since this cover has a bottle cap like crimp, approach it like a bottle opener. Distort only 2 or 3 tangs, just enough to get under it and pop it off. Correct the distortion. It will pop back on like a bottle cap. Your collection of new covers go to the guy who wants to struggle with them.
One could take this concept a step further. Use a small file to add a slight radius to leading edge of coupling tangs so its more like the bottle neck.
The formed wire retainer is available separately at ebay and it can be installed under the hood.
It may be about the same price as the 3 piece offering from DMT. Good luck with it.

-
Back