Cover Art - for valves

-

Serj22

Reaction score
Not sure if it was better suited for /6 or general discusion, but I decided to take a break from my rodded radios projects and made a move on the valve cover I took off the dart. Surprising enough, the red paint seemed to just fall off of it with one hit of paint remover. I barely had to try. I cleaned off the surface rust (pretty good shape) and decided to leave the dents and quirks and work them into the design.

Hit it with some gray primer, and let it dry for 2 days. Then I took some oil that I found on various parts of the engine block and thinned it out with paint thinner, and then smeared it on the cover in a couple locations. Then I got to marking... and it took a couple hours...

CAM00605_zpsf5389e96.jpg

CAM00606_zps9f827660.jpg

This is all going to be background when the real deal is on here... but it must be done... This cover is going to be 100% hand done, except for the final coats of clear at the end. I'll spray those.

Added a coat of cross-hatched aluminum, thined, and ran over lines again.

CAM00607_zps666c17e9.jpg

CAM00608_zps99b8f118.jpg

And that's it for the first 3 days of this project. Once it's all done I'll pop the old seal where the hose sits on the back of the cover and install a shiny new black one, so paint over on that is not an issue... The smeared oil effect might be lost to the aluminum coat... but in the end, we'll see.

Thanks guys. Now I need help figuring out a name. I have a few ideas. Basically, what would you name an aircraft powered by a slant 6, that has a certain sexiness to the name? An inuendo so to speak. If you got any ideas blurt Em out. Think wwii nose art. "slant sex" keeps popping up in my head, but it's so simple...

I have a little rust art work going on on my VCs

Haha 6 inches vertical. That's getting closer to what I want. It's got the innuendo. Dunno yet need more input.

Ok so, started with Reds, because it was the first color that came to mind for warnings.

CAM00616_zps70a6a956.jpg

Random serial number... NO STEP and some kills.

CAM00611_zps6f69f874.jpg

Red skirt...

CAM00614_zpsfede8042.jpg

Then onto the gloss ultra-white. Basic coloration of top, then white fields added to the top emblem that will be there in the future. Then hit the gloss black. Tomorrow, or possibly later tonight will be more colors... but for now, got to let it dry or they will mix unintentionally.

CAM00622_zps9517aad0.jpg

CAM00620_zps3802466b.jpg

I then had this idea for the front, which I thought was perfect, and will have more outline to it - this is just the gloss black field of the letters.

CAM00623_zps77dbefa8.jpg

AND MORE KILLS!

CAM00621_zpseca819c4.jpg

I have a little rust art work going on on my VCs

You might be on to something...

Well, couldn't wait, and the name was in my head. It's stuck. Outlined the red field and drew down the red. In case anyone's wondering this is all 1-SHOT paint. It's for signs mostly, but pin-stripers use it as well. It's expensive, but there's a reason for that.

More red added as well.

CAM00624_zpsce40431e.jpg

CAM00625_zpsbcac91ff.jpg

"Hard Bangin' Six"

It was a toss up between that, and "Six Bangin' Sl**"

I went with the slightly more family friendly one...:wack::D

Super cool work!!! I really like stuff like this. Maybe I missed the memo.. but what is this going in? a Slant 6 Dart? Or something else?

Meet-Joe-"Dart";1969925885 said:
Super cool work!!! I really like stuff like this. Maybe I missed the memo.. but what is this going in? a Slant 6 Dart? Or something else?

No memo, because I never mentioned it, but...
It's the valve cover I pulled from my '68 Dart. I put a chrome one on there in its place that was given to me. This one had bad red paint, surface rust, peels, the whole shebang, so I left it in the shed for a while, then finally had an idea for it

. I don't know if my engine bay is necessarily pretty enough to adorn this cover, but I might want it back on there - we'll see. but maybe I'll sell it, or maybe just turn into wall art. I dunno. And yeah, it's a slant.

Horizontal Bop

That's actually pretty good. Now i have to make more than one VC... ugh... hahaha

It's always so hard to imagine the full image in the early stages, it just looks like blobs of paint everywhere. Airbrush artists call it "underpaint" or the "brush coat." That's mostly all that's on it so far.

More colors.

CAM00627_zps2870dd5d.jpg

lettering needs to be adjusted because one n looks like an r. Still only a couple layers in on coloring.

"Slant Sex" with her laying on her back at a 30 degree angle....ooh!

Jessie James did a copper gas tank for his chopper like this (but real copper plate and rivets) looked cool.

and make an "beware jet intake" with arrow pointing to carb...haha!

I just seen this thread, that is some cool stuff you have going on 8)
creativity at it's best :glasses7:
Some of my thoughts would be Slant six Ace WWII, I remember a song called sky pilet, How High Can You Fly 8) We need some Japanese flgs on it showing a hash mark threw them as kills :D

"Slant Sex" with her laying on her back at a 30 degree angle....ooh!

Jessie James did a copper gas tank for his chopper like this (but real copper plate and rivets) looked cool.

and make an "beware jet intake" with arrow pointing to carb...haha!

Slant Sex was one of my first ideas. I felt it too simple... but sometimes simple is good. I already thought i was clever putting the "Danger Propeller" on the front because that's where the fan is... but jet intake... hmmmmmm.... I still have lots of room for creativity on the cover.
...We need some Japanese flgs on it showing a hash mark threw them as kills :iconbigg:

Agreed. I am going to put some and also some swastikas crossed out. Also, an update -this flying VC has been shot at, and it's faling apart at the seams but still good. I won't even begin to descibe what I did here... but you get the idea. Still lots more detailing, but it's looking more and more better.

CAM00638_zps1684b863.jpg

CAM00639_zps192e9a71.jpg

CAM00640_zps1b989e94.jpg

CAM00641_zps6bd10eb5.jpg

CAM00642_zpsc863517f.jpg

More metal work, and more color detail. Can't wait to get into the greens and yellows to really finish it off.

Haha. Thanks.

Man I would love to do this paint scheme to an entire car, but... that would take a long damn time. Still working on the cover. I hope to have it cleared by the middle of the week maybe. Then it will be complete. Then I have to figure out what to do with it... If I sell it, I can paint another one, and that will probably be just as fun as the first. If I use it, I'll never get to see it. If I put it on the wall, I'll like it, but the wife will be like "what the hell, why do you keep putting **** all over the house, we have too many radios, and too many things, now you get no sex" and then I will get no sex. I feel as though that's how that conversation will go. Maybe not.

-
Back