Coyote Country

-
problem is, coyotes are group hunters
if you see one, its a scout (i get them in my backyard in the winter quite a bit)

its the pack hunters id worry about, even with a dog sized dog (you guys know what i mean)

as for me, i got kids, if i get a clean shot at one of them, i will take it (at the coyotes, i mean, not the kids)
i understand "we" encroached on their habitat, BUT according to Genesis 1:28 i have dominion over them so there.

My wife has a 17-pound spaniel mix that would be no match for coyote. Every time the dog goes out in the yard my wife goes with her for 'security'.
We also just adopted an almost 2-year old Rhodesian Ridgeback that's a solid 106 pounds. I don't have any concern that he could handle a coyote one-on-one.
When we took him in to our vet for his initial check-up after adopting him, my wife mentioned coyotes and her concern for her spaniel mix. Our vet told us the coyotes usual hunting pattern is in groups of 3 if there is a larger dog around.
We've had multiple sightings of a 3-coyote group during early morning hours in the park across the street from our cul-de-sac.

I usually see them in singles or packs of three...

Yes, as a responsible small pet owner, it's good to go out and supervise them while they are outside...

My Dal once chased three coyotes to the yard across the street, and they took a 3 point circle around him so I called him back before they could gang up on him...

problem is, coyotes are group hunters
if you see one, its a scout (i get them in my backyard in the winter quite a bit)

its the pack hunters id worry about, even with a dog sized dog (you guys know what i mean)

as for me, i got kids, if i get a clean shot at one of them, i will take it (at the coyotes, i mean, not the kids)
i understand "we" encroached on their habitat, BUT according to Genesis 1:28 i have dominion over them so there.

The local high school cross country team trains in the forest preserve near my house... The coach tells them if they see a coyote to run right at it and they will run away... Fight or flight, and since they are bigger, the coyotes take to flight...

The local high school cross country team trains in the forest preserve near my house... The coach tells them if they see a coyote to run right at it and they will run away... Fight or flight, and since they are bigger, the coyotes take to flight...

good point, my oldest in in CC and they run less then two miles from my house
of course, they are in the more developed side of town, so chances are slimmer, but still, they might run into them there aswel

Mesa, AZ. urban coyotes all over. They are brazen. They can leap a 6-7 food wall in one shot. My pups don’t go outside at night unless I’m out with them. We have rabbits all over the place so I’m sure that’s what attracts them. A good bean bag shot in the rear haunches will put a hurt on one.

Here in Iowa, farm country out where we live, they're pretty much shot on sight with no quams about it. They're predators plain and simple. Let one come around your livestock and live, hel be back tomorrow with more, and again and again, every night

Here in Iowa, farm country out where we live, they're pretty much shot on sight with no quams about it. They're predators plain and simple. Let one come around your livestock and live, hel be back tomorrow with more, and again and again, every night
Back yrs ago, the towns people were dumping so many dogs, they formed a pack. Dogs cant feed them selves in the wild like most wild canines. The pack caught one of our black angus cows down having a calf, they ate the calf, and about half way thru the cow from the back end (was gross as hell ), but dad hauled her home , put her in the barn in a sling, w/ her hooves just touching the ground,doctored her back to life, but she was pretty much paralyzed in her rear legs. He ended up butchering her. I couldn`t force myself to eat any of that hamburger meat !
Over the course of the summer, I killed 16 dogs, any that I caught on our land,
dead meat.
I think I probly killed a few innocent ones, but they shouldn`t have been on our landed.

Last edited:
About 5-6 yrs ago , A NEIGHBOR THAT WAS SHAKING UP W/ THE GIRL BEHIND US ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE CREEK TOLD ME TO WATCH OUT FOR MY EX BIG ROTTWEILER, THE COYOTES HAD KILLED TWO OF HIS GERMAIN SHEPARDS. Their bellies were clawed out, I told him that aint the way a coyote kills, sounded like a big cat to me !
My big Rottweiler could very well handle one on one, maybe even two, but 3 or more , no way.

Last edited:
We have them here in my area outside of Philly. Saw 2 run through the back yard a week ago at night and there is a known pack of them down in the creek valley less then half a mile away.

We know they are there, and they know to steer clear of humans. So far, no incidents have happened in the past 12 years of being in close proximity. But the folks around here also know enough not to do things that might entice them to change that balance.

We have them here in my area outside of Philly. Saw 2 run through the back yard a week ago at night and there is a known pack of them down in the creek valley less then half a mile away.

We know they are there, and they know to steer clear of humans. So far, no incidents have happened in the past 12 years of being in close proximity. But the folks around here also know enough not to do things that might entice them to change that balance.
A bed ridden guy I know, watched a bobcat walk thru his yard a couple of weeks ago.

about 25 years ago the coyotes came across the ice from Nova Scotia and New Brunswick to Prince Edward Island we had a feral cat problem at the time it did not take long before the cats were gone then they started on house cats damn near every one in my community was missing . I shot one with my 22-250 at 250 yards broke every bone in his body and liquefied his insides found 3 flea collars in his gut man those 22-250 mushrooms are the weapon for those ****'s . one small entry no exit .

-
Back