Cracked Carter...

-

klumppm1

Reaction score
Hi all. I discovered that my new to me Carter BBD has a cracked bowl and is leaking gas. If I by a cheap core, would it be possible to swap the middle section (bowl) of the two carbs out?

20190418_072116.jpg

Yes if it's the same unit . Send me some good photos and I'll see if I have a core that I'm not using. What motor is it for?

What year is it for? I have an early 65-66 BBD that I was given as a core and I will give it to you for the cost of shipping.

JB weld...really! The standard stuff, not the quick set up. HAMB members say years of leak free seals with that stuff IN GAS. clean with alcohol and scuff a little, use it on the inside only.

Yes if it's the same unit . Send me some good photos and I'll see if I have a core that I'm not using. What motor is it for?
Hi Ed. It is for a 1965 170 slant. The carb I believe, is from a late 70's Slant 225 (it has the curved PCV nipple, and thick choke airhorn).

20190418_095347.jpg

20190418_095433.jpg

20190418_095605.jpg

That looks like a casting flaw to me, but in any case JB weld from the inside as pishta mentioned will work great.
Places like that I put a piece of plastic wrap over the JB weld and press the JB into the crack.
Then wipe off any extra and wait till it's cured. (next day for the standard JB)

The carb works really well, and there is no wiggle at the throttle shaft. I don't want to use another carb if I don't have to. I think I will try the JB Weld route first and see how that holds up! If it does not work, I will look into everyone's offers for new cores. Thank you all. Everyone is wicked helpful on this forum!!

With todays gas JB Weld will probably fail after a week or two. I tried to fix a small leak in a motorcycle gas tank with it and it failed.However there is an epoxy just for gas tank repair that will work Permatex 84334 28 Grams Fuel Tank Repair | Max Warehouse .
I used this on the bike tank and also the gas tank in my 76 Aspen and both repairs held

I have used JB Quick to repair a gas tank leak out on the trail before and it held the rest of the time we owned the bike. (like 12 years)

Epoxy is the one I don't trust with fuel, even though it is commonly recommended for fuel sealing.
It seems to crack from the fuel contact.

I recall seeing in FSM there is a small and large throated BBD

What is the carb number?

Update. I used JB Weld, and it worked great. I also bought a core BBD for $30. I was nervous about the JB Weld, and swapped the fuel bowl onto my carb from the core I just got, then did a rebuild. So, we will never know how the JB Weld would do long term...

Update. I used JB Weld, and it worked great. I also bought a core BBD for $30. I was nervous about the JB Weld, and swapped the fuel bowl onto my carb from the core I just got, then did a rebuild. So, we will never know how the JB Weld would do long term...
Smart move

-
Back