Cracked cowl!!!!!!!

-

cmtcuda

Reaction score
I have a 69 cuda. I just noticed two cracks coming from under the bottom of my windshield. They are about 1.5 inches apart and 1.5 inches long and about 4 inches inboard of my passenger side A-pillar.
my questions are:
1) is this a common problem with A-bodies.
2) Is this a major ( meaning costly ) fix to repair.
Any help on this subject would be appreciated.

TIA

How much power are you putting out?

1) is this a common problem with A-bodies.

On high HP cars it can be.

2) Is this a major ( meaning costly ) fix to repair.

Anytime things start to crack apart it's not good and can be costly.

May be time to invest in sub frame connectors.

The cowl on my original '66 Dart drag car has cracks coming out from both front pillars. This happened when the car came down from hard launches, driving the roofs weight into the cowl via the pillars. it is fairly common on cars that took alot of abuse. It is an easy fix, just weld them up, and forget about them. However, you may want to do some investigating, as not only the cowl was cracked on my car, but the K-frame was cracked in multiple spots, the steering box was split, and the floor behind the drivers seat had cracks about 6 inches long coming out of the holes underneath the bracket the seat bolts through.

thanks for the quick replies. I dont think it is a power issue. The engine is the original 318. Not making much power.
I just got the car and when I gave it a freshwater rinse I had lots of water coming out of my footwell vents what causes this?

dirt and leafs build up in the cowl and hold water, which leads to rust. usually the cowls get pinholes. when the water get in there it dribbles down on the floor. at least thats my experience with my a bodies. oh yeah and the pivots can leak too, but if your getting it around the fresh air vents i bet its rust in the cowl.

-
Back