-

Kllrbee

Reaction score
New QA1 LCAs...
Does this look like a crack to you?
I dont know, didnt notice it before.
do these things crack?
20210604_162620[1].jpg

To me from the picture it looks more like it’s contacted the lca.

EED4F107-D4CB-4AD1-AB21-0E19B86623C6.jpeg

To me from the picture it looks more like it’s contacted the lca.

View attachment 1715746981

Yup. Looks like the LCA hit the adjusting lever which put a mark in the powdercoating.

Those surfaces shouldn’t come into contact, so something about the ride height or suspension adjustment/travel range is off.

Ok, yeah after pointing that out, I see it now. Whew...

I installed the adjusting bolt 40 1/4 turns on both sides just to have some preload for when it comes time to put it on the ground. It must have happened when I used the jack under LBJ to guide the knuckle into the UBJ. I must have gone a little overboard on that side cuz I lifted the car.

Thanks guys.

Now if I could just get these adjustable struts dialed in....
I had them bind free with only the LCA installed, but wanted to test them again with the UCA, bumpers, etc. I removed the adjusters all the way and was hoping I could test with shocks still installed. But nope...cant get a good read on free movement with shocks in.

Is that the number of turns from when the bolt catches a thread in the adjuster block? Or the number of turns after the bolt contacts the adjusting lever with the suspension hanging on the bump stops? I don’t count the “free” turns, only the ones after the adjusting bolt makes contact with the lever. Lots less counting and the same result.

Yeah you can’t really check for binding on the LCA’s with the shocks installed. Shocks have to be out, same with the adjusters.

After contact.
Too much?

Yup, too much. Well, probably. I don’t know what size torsion bars you have or how they’re clocked etc.

But with my 1.12” bars and my lowered ride height I only use like 4 or 5 turns after the adjusting bolt makes solid contact with the lever.

oh...haha. Ill back em way off then.
I have the Pst 1.03 bars with QA1 Lca. As far as clocking, they really only went in one way, so not sure. The Lca was close to parallel but not quite.
Is that 4 or 5 full turns then? 16-20 1/4 turns?

FWIW, my suspension before this was completely trashed by the previous owner. I counted 65 1/4 turns on pass side and 80 on drivers side. So I thought I was being modest with 40...

oh...haha. Ill back em way off then.
I have the Pst 1.03 bars with QA1 Lca. As far as clocking, they really only went in one way, so not sure. The Lca was close to parallel but not quite.
Is that 4 or 5 full turns then? 16-20 1/4 turns?

FWIW, my suspension before this was completely trashed by the previous owner. I counted 65 1/4 turns on pass side and 80 on drivers side. So I thought I was being modest with 40...

Ok, if the LCA was close to parallel to the ground then it should be clocked correctly.

And yes, 4-5 full turns. You may need a couple more with the 1.03's, and my ride height is pretty low. The 1.12" bars I run have a different hex offset than stock and the 1.03's you have, so it won't be the same. But 40 is probably about 4x more than you'll need.

Torsion bars do "sag" over time, they end up losing ride height as they get older so if you have old, small diameter bars they may have taken a lot of turns to try to keep the ride height up. And even a 1.03" bar is about double the spring rate compared to even the small factory V8 bars.

-
Back