crane fireball hook up

-

moparwedden

Reaction score
Decided to clean all the wires up in engine bay. I am also doing the mad wiring upgrade. The question I have is I was running a mopar electronic ignition box and distrubutor. I would like to completely eliminate the ballast from engine bay and the old mopar box, when I unhook the box do I have to leave the old part of this harness, if not where would the distributor wires get hooked up too. I have the center bulk head disconnected and lots a tough wires, so I have cut these all back to bulk head, going to run all new wires from there on. And did the mad wiring for three of the five that I have left after cutting back flush the ones that will not be used, such as oil,temp and brake. I have a brown and blue that branches off to the ballast. How do I wire all this. Thanks

There are only two power wires that originally came OUT into the bay in the bulkhead connector. One is "IGN1" or ignition run (BLUE) and the other is BROWN, "IGN2" which is the resistor bypass circuit.

Wire them together. They must feed anything under the hood needing voltage in "run", including the VR and ignition. Make certain there is no voltage drop. This can occur in the bulkhead connector, the old ammeter circuit, and the IGNTION SWITCH. One way is to use the brown and blue to trigger a relay, and use that relay to feed your underhood loads. Voltage drop in that circuit is the cause of "much" of the overcharge /overvoltage problems

You need BOTH the brown and the blue, because the blue "goes dead" during cranking, that is the brown is the only ignition source when starting.

I don't remember anything about the Crane Fireball. Make certain it does not need a resistor and make certain you have a compatible coil

Is it breakerless? Is it COMPATIBLE with Mopar? You'll have to refer to destructions for the fireball............

Is this what you have? Looks like it requires an OPTICAL trigger distributor, which the Mopar is MAGNETIC

http://www.cranecams.com/uploads/instructions/9000-0700_.pdf

Further reading: WE NEED TO KNOW what the model is of this Fireball ignition box

OK, great. This is a CD (capacitive discharge) and THAT MEANS if you are not familiar, that you DO NOT hook a tach or anything else to the coil. This includes radio capacitors. ONLY the coil wires coming from the Crane box should be hooked to the coil

NO ballast should be used with a CD. If you are unfamiliar, a CD works more like a photoflash on a camera. That is, an internal high voltage power supply charges up a "great big" capacitor, and when the unit is triggered, it discharges this cap across the coil. NO 12V is hooked to the coil. Be careful when wiring.

Looks to me like you simply need to read and follow their destructions. The (Mopar) magnetic distributor pickup hooks to the Crane violet and green Hookup polarity is IMPORTANT, as it can change rotor phasing and will not run well.

http://www.cranecams.com/uploads/instructions/9000-6000c.pdf

OK, great. This is a CD (capacitive discharge) and THAT MEANS if you are not familiar, that you DO NOT hook a tach or anything else to the coil. This includes radio capacitors. ONLY the coil wires coming from the Crane box should be hooked to the coil

NO ballast should be used with a CD. If you are unfamiliar, a CD works more like a photoflash on a camera. That is, an internal high voltage power supply charges up a "great big" capacitor, and when the unit is triggered, it discharges this cap across the coil. NO 12V is hooked to the coil. Be careful when wiring.

Looks to me like you simply need to read and follow their destructions. The (Mopar) magnetic distributor pickup hooks to the Crane violet and green Hookup polarity is IMPORTANT, as it can change rotor phasing and will not run well.

Thanks I was looking at the wrong diagram.

Ok thanks. Would you now which wire from dizzy goes to violet and to green. Nothing marked on dizzy wires. Thanks

I don't know. You will have to test it and see, or "if" you can find someone with a similar setup. Google "rotor phasing" and you can find lots of info on this..........

What happens is the magnetic pulse from the distributor is an AC wave similar to a sine wave. If you reverse the leads, one way the positive going part of the pulse happens first, and the other polarity, the negative portion happens first.

The box, however, only triggers off ONE part of the wave. This means that when the polarity is wrong, the spark is offset in real time as to when that happens.

The rotor, then can be offset from that trigger point by that change.

Here's an idea..........Look at the destructions. They refer to Mopars with orange and black pickup wires...........

Notice ORANGE goes to the BARE pin at the distributor..........

GMHEISchematic.jpg

Look at your distributor, see which color goes to BARE, and use it for the Orange.

Crane says...........(from page 12)

mopar.jpg

-
Back