Crank bolt for 1968 170 slant 6 interchangeable

-

Mopar Momzee

Reaction score
Have a 1968 valiant slant 6 170 just noticed the crank bolt is MIA I have a 1978 440 are they interchangeable if not anyone have one to purchase or find one thank u

Have a 1968 valiant slant 6 170 just noticed the crank bolt is MIA I have a 1978 440 are they interchangeable if not anyone have one to purchase or find one thank u

None of the slant sixes came with a crank bolt. They were press fit only.

@RustyRatRod are you sure about that? I just tore down the slant in my 82 D150, it has the bolt.

20201017_151051.jpg

The new engine for the Valiant (bagged up) has one too. That engine came from a 79 D100 so maybe it's an early/late thing?

20201017_151626.jpg

The original slant in my 66 has no bolt, the slant from the 78 Volare has no bolt. Most peculiar.

To the OP, it is a 3/4 fine thread, 1-7/8" long. The washer is a beast, over 3/16" thick. A really good fastener place should have these in grade 8.

Most slant six CARS did not have a crank bolt. All cranks were drilled and tapped, so a bolt can be installed, if desired.
Many (I cannot say "most, as I don't know) Truck/Industrial engines had the crank bolt.

Most slant six CARS did not have a crank bolt. All cranks were drilled and tapped, so a bolt can be installed, if desired.
Many (I cannot say "most, as I don't know) Truck/Industrial engines had the crank bolt.

Well there you go. That kinda makes sense.

Thanks Charrlie, learn something new every day.

@Mopar Momzee, if you want the bolt and can't find it I have an exceptional hardware store with aisles and aisles of fasteners. They carry them and I can get you one and send it. Shoot me a PM if you want to go this route.

Any small or BB block bolt will work.
Are they necessary, or needed ? No
Having said that, I have one installed on my slant to use as a way to turn the crank for timing situations, or to get the motor to tdc.

-
Back