Crank is out again...

-

FASTBACK340

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
I had a dark spot on cylinder #3's connecting rod bearing surface when I assembled my short block. It bothered me no end.... I opened it up last night to inspect it with a friend who's built more motors than me. Know what I found? The top layer of metal was ETCHED with an acid or something and a section of it LIFTED OFF when I tried to clean it! Almost as if it was bad chrome, it flaked off. I'm soooooo happy I opened it up and did a little poking & prodding now instead of after re-build #3. The crank goes back to the maching shop this weekend.

I'm beyond being fed up at this point....:mumum:

Less headaches now then later.

Learned awhile back if something seems tobe not correct check now and take care of problem if one shows up or let it go and then install and find out I should have checked when I thought about it.

just went thru that on the one demon.

good luck hope this is just 1 little stone to jump over.

Nice catch. Rememer, gently place it on the floor..No tossing it thru the window. I would think the grinder would have caught that tho..That's worth a mention.

This is what I get for being clean & sober for 8 yrs.....

At work I had opened up the holes in my windage tray to fit over the studs better. Afterwards I hot tanked it, washed it, and blew it dry w/ compressed air. I brought it home and laid the crank on the bearings and slipped the tray over the studs to test fit it. I left it there overnight without any caps on the crank, all the journals exposed. My guess is just a drop of the cleaning solution migrated out of a seam and landed on the rod journal.

<sigh....> Maybe I should get an 8-ball and a bottle of Jack for the final assembly :-k

moparPW200guy said:
just be glad ya caught it now and not goin 130MPH down the track and have a rod decide to leave the block.... that would suck...

If that happened I would just set the car on fire and walk away....[-(

John, I dont know of any cleaning solution in a hot tank that will eat iron. Rust, yes, but not freshly turned steel. We leave blocks in them for a week if they are real bad, and it doesnt hurt the exposed iron. Dont blame the sobriety..lol. The first trans I did with a friend who brought over cocktails while we worked..lol. Had a great time..trans didnt shift out of first, but we had a great time..lol. the drinks are for AFTER the car stuff now..lol.

moper said:
....the drinks are for AFTER the car stuff now..lol.

I don't know.... A bottle of green label Jack, a beer mug, and a bucket of crushed ice is starting to sound good. ;)

As for the hot tank issue, my machinist said the same thing. I mentioned it as a guess since that's the ONLY think I could think of that may have fonged my crank. ](*,)

Oh well... crank goes back to the machine shop Monday. :cry:

FASTBACK340 said:
Oh well... crank goes back to the machine shop Monday. :cry:

I pick up the crank tomorrow afternoon. Everything polished out, or so I was told. :-k

I have a bucket of crushed ice ready "just in case....":drinkers:

Admit it John your starting to like it, with your crank out \\:D/

musik01.gif

onehellofadart said:
Admit it John your starting to like it, with your crank out \\:D/

musik01.gif

Yes I DO like having my crank polished..... Who doesn't ???? ;)

GotDart said:
Man, that little guy don't last long but he can do it over and over and over.

WHERE DID YOU FIND THAT ICON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That absolutely ROCKS! :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

BTW: Crank update

Crank is in the block. 4 rods/pistons are in. 2 con rod bearings are woofed..... finding replacements now. Might have car together before my taxes are due in April.

More grief to follow I'm sure....#-o

Dont worry John. There wont be any gas to use to start it with next week.

AdamR said:
Dont worry John. There wont be any gas to use to start it with next week.

As I was filling up one of the cars tonight I was thinking how fast I'll be pissing it away in the B`cuda. And by the time I have it together I know it'll be over (way over....) $4.00 a gallon.

I can't believe what I just typed.

$4.00 a gallon.

Damn....

-
Back