Crank Pulley

-

limegreen70

Pokorny Enterprise's
Reaction score
So I need some clarification. Im going to try and a find Manual steering crank pulley for a 70 Small block. What all years will work for that. 70 + or 69 and back? I have read a few different answers.

'70+.
'69 and earlier used a cast iron water pump that was shorter, making the pulley offsets different. They also changed the crank pulley bolt pattern by moving 1 bolt, but that is easily changed by elongating the offending hole with a round file.
There were so many different pulley combinations, that it's just easier to measure the pulley depth you need and go by that.

I have a 3 groove crank pulley for sale and would be happy to send you any measurements you might need. It was on my 1978 360 manual steering , but I replaced all pulleys with CVF Racing aluminum (with their own spacing).

I have a 3 groove crank pulley for sale and would be happy to send you any measurements you might need. It was on my 1978 360 manual steering , but I replaced all pulleys with CVF Racing aluminum (with their own spacing).
Thanks for the offer but I was talking about just a single groove. Those other groves I imagine would be AC or other accessories.

Like Professor Fate said, the only difference from 69 to 70 is the bolt pattern is slightly different. A few minutes with a file and yer good.

Like Professor Fate said, the only difference from 69 to 70 is the bolt pattern is slightly different. A few minutes with a file and yer good.
Nope, the offset is different too. He needs a '70 and newer pulley for manual steering and no A/C to get the correct offset. For the bolt pattern, '70-1 are correct for the '70 balancer, but, the '72-up ones will work with the previously mentioned file mod needed to elongate the one hole.

I thought his question was the difference from 70 non ac to 69 non ac? I didn't realize there was, in addition to the offset hole.
Nope, the offset is different too. He needs a '70 and newer pulley for manual steering and no A/C to get the correct offset. For the bolt pattern, '70-1 are correct for the '70 balancer, but, the '72-up ones will work with the previously mentioned file mod needed to elongate the one hole.

'69 and earlier use the cast iron water pump. '70 and newer use the aluminum one. All the brackets and pulleys are different between the two systems.

-
Back