Crank

-

cuda620

Reaction score
Question, I think I know, but basically I need .25 inch cut or ground off a 440 crank plus of course the mains cut to do a 451. Just checking. I'm gonna do this without the expense of a Chinese crank...

Dont be suprised if the cost of cutting throws and resizing the main journals of a 40 year old cast crank exceeds the cost of a chinese stroker crank unless your using a forged core. If you do get a forged core cut, consider knife edging the leading edges of the crank.

Call Ohio Crankshaft they will do it cheaper than any one around and great quality work.

Dont be suprised if the cost of cutting throws and resizing the main journals of a 40 year old cast crank exceeds the cost of a chinese stroker crank unless your using a forged core. If you do get a forged core cut, consider knife edging the leading edges of the crank.
Mine is forged. Considering doing it by hand,then having mains done.

You got an engine lathe? you can do it with that if the length and swing is big enough. If you do have that, Let us know and youll get some piece work for sure as its a tedious job by hand.

I have an old Craftsman lathe made by Atlas
it has a 12 x 36 bed and I polish cranks all the time. It's a little worn but I can make any thing I need it just takes a little longer to do.

I have an old Craftsman lathe made by Atlas
it has a 12 x 36 bed and I polish cranks all the time. It's a little worn but I can make any thing I need it just takes a little longer to do.
May send it to you....

Call Ohio crank tomorrow and see what they want to do it, It still has to go there to get ground.
Let me know what they say.

I have a 12x36 atlas lathe too. It is great but I don't think I would try to turn down the counterweights on a RB crank with it. Im not saying it cant be done, but a sturdier machine is needed imho.

-
Back