Crate 402 Mopar P5007647, 8 quart pan, oil level dipstick reading question? Accuracy

-

4mulas

Fixem'up
Reaction score
Anyone have one of the magnum crate motors with an 8 quart pan? Doing an Oil change on the 402 mopar P5007647 and the stick is reading full with only 6 quarts in. I have mopar 3870265 dipstick which shows is for 1976-1982 318/360 for a multitude of different body styles.
‘everything I read about the motor says 8 quart pan and it sure looks like it to me.

what To do?
I measured the tube length and then from where the dipstick is fully seated to the full mark. Then measured to where the dipstick full mark should be (approximately) on the out side of the pan. It’s at the weld mark and it appears that I should have room for at least another quart. I think mopar used Milodon pans for these But I’m really not sure about that.

the tube measures close to 9.75” out of the motor, the full mark measure 19.5” down from the seated position. Therefore the stick full mark is resting about 9.75” below the tube. I’ve attached a few pics which show that this would put the full mark right around the weld on the pan. Looks to me like I should have room for another quart or two?

attached a few links describing motor, dipstick.
motor
402 MP crate motor pistons?
dipstick
Oil Level Indicator# 3870265 - A - B - C - F - M - R - Body - 318-360 - 1976-82 - NOS - SHIPS FREE TO LOWER 48 - Blue Star Performance

77E935E1-BF57-4B2F-B4B3-89C8DE7B8447.jpeg

3637EEA1-44AC-4280-B18A-A92F49E44E4E.jpeg

B58FA942-3DAE-441A-89C2-CE5294C8445E.jpeg

E4C8AB21-C784-46D5-9BB1-EB7F1DA82A81.jpeg

47AA66AC-A47A-4E99-A6F2-101400D04B77.png

image.jpg

With 6 qts in it, does it ever loose oil pressure while you’re driving or braking? If so add a qt and try it again. If not leave it alone, more oil will only cause windage and aerate the oil.

With 6 qts in it, does it ever loose oil pressure while you’re driving or braking? If so add a qt and try it again. If not leave it alone, more oil will only cause windage and aerate the oil.
Haven’t driven it. New to me

Just thought about it and I think I’ll measure the pan and calculate just the volume of the sump and decide from there

Never in my life seen a sump like that on a 6 quart. Did you see the picture?
6qts is TWO more than stock. Keep that in mind. Also, it does not matter that the pan is stock depth or TEEN FEET deep. If the dipstick is accurate with a stock pan it will be accurate with any of them.

Haven’t driven it. New to me
Put 6 qts in it and drive it, Then make a decision. If the pick up stays covered and you maintain oil pressure in all driving situations then it has enough oil in.

6qts is TWO more than stock. Keep that in mind. Also, it does not matter that the pan is stock depth or TEEN FEET deep. If the dipstick is accurate with a stock pan it will be accurate with any of them.
I agree, but what I’m not sure of is if the dipstick tube belongs with my dipstick. The whole car is new to me and I’ve been spending time unraveling and correcting a few mysteries, this is one of them. It always takes a while to sort out cars when you buy them.

I will start and run with 6 and see how it goes. From what I’ve measure and how it appears I think I have room for another quart with zero chance of windage from the level being too high…

I agree, but what I’m not sure of is if the dipstick tube belongs with my dipstick. The whole car is new to me and I’ve been spending time unraveling and correcting a few mysteries, this is one of them. It always takes a while to sort out cars when you buy them.

I will start and run with 6 and see how it goes. From what I’ve measure and how it appears I think I have room for another quart with zero chance of windage from the level being too high…
I understand. Unfortunately, it's a kinda guessing game. I would think one more quart wouldn't hurt it either.....but you can do just as much damage over filling too so be careful.

So we agree the stock dipstick and tube length would be correct, right? Then all the OP needs to do is to find someone else with a small block and compare the tube and stick length, or maybe even just look it up online.

Don't make it harder than it has to be

:thumbsup:

So we agree the stock dipstick and tube length would be correct, right? Then all the OP needs to do is to find someone else with a small block and compare the tube and stick length, or maybe even just look it up online.

Don't make it harder than it has to be

:thumbsup:
I agree with that too. Finding the online is not as easy done as it said, and in fact people have posted different lengths of dipstick with the same part number. Tube length is the key. I was hoping some Withs 360 could chime in with that info but not as of yet.

I agree with that too. Finding the online is not as easy done as it said, and in fact people have posted different lengths of dipstick with the same part number. Tube length is the key. I was hoping some Withs 360 could chime in with that info but not as of yet.
I forgot last night and will try to remember later today. I've got a factory tube and stick out of a block that's at the machinist.

I measured 11" exactly outside the block for the tube, about 21-1/4" on the stick. Didn't measure to the full and add marks though.

The pan is labeled as a 8 quart capacity but that doesn’t mean to fill it with 8 quarts. The stock dip stick will read accurate for a max level. Once the oil reaches the mark on the stock dip stick, you know that it is reading right where the factory calls it good and more is just an over fill and power looser. Less oil will drop the height inside the pan and produce more HP, as well as live longer.

The pan is labeled as a 8 quart capacity but that doesn’t mean to fill it with 8 quarts. The stock dip stick will read accurate for a max level. Once the oil reaches the mark on the stock dip stick, you know that it is reading right where the factory calls it good and more is just an over fill and power looser. Less oil will drop the height inside the pan and produce more HP, as well as live longer.
I get all that in regards to less windage, more HP et al’ but I’m starting to think that they (previous owner) cut the tube down to make it look full at 6quarts in the pan when the filter is full. From measuring and looking at all this I think I have room for another quart and the oil will still be well below any potential windage issues and essentially at or below the baffles in the pan. I see and appreciate your post‘s on the other thread too. From Bob and now yours I’m thinking the tube is too short. Waiting for Bob’s other measurements when he gets a chance too.

Buy new dipstick tube drain the oil put 8 quarts in it put the new dipstick tube on put the dipstick in see how short it is cut the difference off the top of the dipstick tube after removing it from the Block and afterwards clean n deburr it.
Every dipstick tube I've ever bought was always longer than necessary so I could trim it to be accurate.

Buy new dipstick tube drain the oil put 8 quarts in it put the new dipstick tube on put the dipstick in see how short it is cut the difference off the top of the dipstick tube after removing it from the Block and afterwards clean n deburr it.
Every dipstick tube I've ever bought was always longer than necessary so I could trim it to be accurate.
As in the other thread you’re thinking about it backwards. My tube is already too short causing it to read full when there’s room for another quart for sure.

I’m not sure of is if the dipstick tube belongs with my dipstick. The whole car is new to me and I’ve been spending time unraveling and correcting a few mysteries, this is one of them.
I'm figuring this in.
That's why I said to buy a new dipstick n tube, or..if it entertains you just keep on your current path of investigating tubes n sticks.
Have fun, gotta love old cars.

-
Back