Crisis averted.. no audio from the entertainment center.

-

RSie

Idiot In Training
Reaction score
Wife flipped on the Blu-Ray player.. picture, but no audio.
I flipped it back to cable.. no audio.. PC, no audio.. damnit.

This is not the time for no sound from the tube.. stuck at home as we are right now.

Unhooked the optical cable to the receiver, turned the tv speakers on.. got sound from the TV menu! Great! Maybe just the sound output from the TV.. bad optical cable?
Turn on TV, no sound. Blu-Ray, no sound.. crap. Figure the audio on the less than a year old TV is crapped out.
Back of my mind, I'm figuring a home made haz-mat suit to get a new TV from the Wally world. Garbage bags with eye-holes? I'll need a cattle prod too.
Tried the last resort.. shut down the TV, unplugged the power cable. Let it sit for 10 mins while I pondered options. The 24 inch tv from upstairs? Direct wire the audio from the components to the receiver? Go old school and break out the monopoly game?
Got done with my beer, plugged in the TV, powered it up.. and audio works! Hooked up the optical cable to the receiver, all good!

First world problems are such a pain! :)

I flipped it back to cable.. no audio.. PC, no audio.. damni

This is not the time for no sound from the tube.. stuck at home as we are right now.

Unhooked the optical cable to the receiver, turned the tv speakers on.. got sound from the TV menu! Great! Maybe just the sound output from the TV.. bad optical cable?
Turn on TV, no sound. Blu-Ray, no sound.. crap. Figure the audio on the less than a year old TV is crapped out.
Back of my mind, I'm figuring a home made haz-mat suit to get a new TV from the Wally world. Garbage bags with eye-holes? I'll need a cattle prod too.
Tried the last resort.. shut down the TV, unplugged the power cable. Let it sit for 10 mins while I pondered options. The 24 inch tv from upstairs? Direct wire the audio from the components to the receiver? Go old school and break out the monopoly game?
Got done with my beer, plugged in the TV, powered it up.. and audio works! Hooked up the optical cable to the receiver, all good!

Yea, sometimes somehow the communication between the components just gets out of sync.
A restart is always a good resort.

I flipped it back to cable.. no audio.. PC, no audio.. damnit.

I had a feeling TV's were going to start having problems when the started mixing computers into them and other devices.
I was right.
Sometimes TV's and even sound devices need to be rebooted now.:mob:

I have Sony stuff all over in 5 locations. All is over HDMI control with surround systems. DTV is my TV source mostly and Sony Blue ray. It has been very reliable but sometimes a hick-up. The wife bought the Star Wars ix movie from amazon prime and thought she ordered the BR disc, she messed up and got the digital version from prime. Had to do the shuffle this weekend and fired up the PS3. The blue Ray player from same year in living room would not load the Amazon app even connected to the network. The PS3 which is also connected in the office with some updates did. We enjoyed the movie in the office in the recliners from the PS3.

Last edited:
Even after the codes were accepted from Sony and Amazon. The BR player just did not want to cooperate!

First rule of tech troubleshooting-

Turn it off, turn it back on.

Working IT, you know without effecting a repair, if it happened once it will happen again. Usually at the worst possible time.

-
Back