Cross member exchange

-

ASPEN79RT

Reaction score
I have a 73 Dart Sport engine cross member. I am considering to install it in my A-body 67 Barracuda (273/4 speed). I am tired of replacing engine mounts every year (has chains and chassis restrainers). The 73 Dart cross member used the "spool" type mounts and also are more secure/safe if the mount breaks. Took some measurements and the connection points are very close. Wonder if I can replace it without any problem. They share the same torsion bars, spindles, etc. By the way the disk brakes kit is the one I installed in the Barracuda.
BARRACUDA-67-ALX-2018-07-08A.jpg

I have a 73 Dart Sport engine cross member. I am considering to install it in my A-body 67 Barracuda (273/4 speed). I am tired of replacing engine mounts every year (has chains and chassis restrainers). The 73 Dart cross member used the "spool" type mounts and also are more secure/safe if the mount breaks. Took some measurements and the connection points are very close. Wonder if I can replace it without any problem. They share the same torsion bars, spindles, etc. By the way the disk brakes kit is the one I installed in the Barracuda.View attachment 1715446624
you should be able to swap it over without any issue. Just re-use everything from the 73 K frame when you do.

It is a lot less trouble to just swap in a solid mount on the drivers side of the engine.

Something is wrong; my mounts were well used when I installed them in 1999. I have personally accumulated over 125,000 mile on them and the car I took them out of had more than that. So over 250,000 miles on them. Those mounts have always been with a stick car.
I use a Schumacher strut restrainer, set on normal.
My combo is a 367/4-speed/3.55s and has enough juice to go 93 in the Eighth.
But yes I run a 73 spool mount crossmember. it was a bolt in. The 73 bolts mightabin a tad bigger, I forget.

As said will work just swap the K member & idler arm. We used the K from my 74 when converting a buddy’s 68 from /6 to V8

-
Back