crossram

-

PlumCrazyDuster

Reaction score
hey guys i was just curious about somethin. i just gotta 413 and im wantin to cram her down in my duster. im not sure on how radical im gonna go on buildin it, but i want a crossram on it. ive seen a billion of the ones that have the dual fours on top of the motor, but i am in love with this oddball *** lookin intake....i think its a crossram but im not sure. anyway i was wonderin if any of you knew what it was called.

check out this picture, this is what i want

http://www.cpwclub.com/sf02pics/ronc/Crossram.JPG

I think that is called the long arm ram or something! They are cool looking but very old style.I am not sure how well they function but If it is cool looks you are going for then that will fit the bill.

I dont think long rams will fit on an Abody..at least if it clears the fenderwells, I dont think any air cleaners will fit.

I agree with Moper, I've seen some in a 65 Belvader and they had to notch the right fender to fit.

Lee

They won't fit an a-body without surgery.

They're called long rams and there were two versions. They are physically the same size, but are called long and short due to the length of the runner divider. The longs are made for peak torque at a lower rpm than the shorts.

The shorts made their first appearance on a special run of seven 1960 300-Fs with 400hp 413s and a French-built Pont-A-Mousson four speed manual transmission. The seven cars were built for the 1960 Daytona Speed Weeks. Andy Granatelli supercharged his. One more 300-F was built with this setup, a convertible.

They are expensive, have low speed puddling issues, but when right are awesome.

The shorts were the optional manifold in 62 (standard in-line dual fours), standard in 63, and optional again in 64 (standard single four barrel) on the 300 Letter cars.

I remember back in the 70's there was a set of these sitting on the "used parts for sale" shelf at the local speed shop. They were there for a long time. I didn't have a big block so I wasn't interested in them, other than I thought they werre kinda' cool. Wish I'd bought them. Probably worth quite a bit now.

:burnout:

sweet thanks guys i really appriciate it.

anybody know where i can get my hands on one?

The long ram intakes were designed for torque production. I don't know what the RPM/cam limit is with one of these things, but I wouldn't mind a set of my 400 Magnum thats for sure.

Did they come on RB engines?

They came on "B" motors in Dodges and Plymouths (well, at least Plymouths). They came on 413s in Chrysler 300 letter cars only. Since it is a split intake the same manifold is used with both "B" and "RB" motors with a different length balance tube between them.

Ebay# 160071634170 and Ebay # 220069416082 Both of these are completed listings meaning they are not current,but neither item sold so I would think they may be still for sale.Contact the seller to see!you can contact the seller to see if they are going to relist them or what they want for them $$. To contact the seller click on the number of items they have in there feedback or ther seller name and it will take you to a page and there it should say contact seller!Hope this helps.That would look awsome to pop the hood of an A body and there was one of those Cross Ram intakes spread out all under the hood!

Bobby

I remember reading about these in a book called "Scientific design of exhaust and intake systems". There was allso a small graph showing how this manifold significantly increased torque around the midrange over a conventional intake.
The graph didn't really show any specific values, but the intake was used as an example of real life application of the "tuned length" intake principle. According to the book, it was never to successfull in mass manufactured applications due to the practical problems related to its size and warm up/ fuel distribution issues.

But from a performance point of view, there is nothing going against this design as far as I can see.

In a way, the Magnum "beer keg" intake is a variation on the same theme, but here the runners are curled up, something you can do with a "dry" EFI intake where fuel distribution and drop-out is not an issue.

In short, from a performance and engineering point of view, this intake is cool.
From a manufacturing, maintenance, and mass market point of view, it is un-cool, which is why it's not more common.

These are very rare and spendy! A complete set up can easily go for well over $1,000 bucks! If you can locate just the manifolds, it would be a lot cheaper. You can fabricate the rest, like the linkages, heat cross over blocks, and such. The center tube can be made at any exhaust shop. It would be cool to see one on an a-body but I would imagine it would be a lot of work to get them in there! :thumbup:

hey guys thanks for all your help, ill update n send in some pics of it when i get started on it!

Superelbert good point on the intakes. Hughes makes good use of these intakes. They even shorten the runners.
The cross ram intakes I remember reading were tuned for 3500 I think it was. I have heard fellas saying it wasn't the best to use in a high rpm HP engine. I don't know my self, but I think the would do well for a street rod.

Maybe one day I'll pick up a set.

-
Back