Crosswind air gap clone and ram truck serpentine setup

-
Building a magnum will be keeping the factory serpentine belt set up, I’m using EQ heads that are drilled for the LA style intake manifold…anyone know what intakes will work with this set up?

The crosswind works, if you don't want to run air conditioning. If you want to run air conditioning you need to run the Edelbrock RPM air gap

Does the air gap intake for the magnum heads have the thermostat housing in the same place as the LA head air gap intake?

I think when I order the EQ heads I should get them in magnum intake pattern and get the magnum intake... I want to keep the serpentine belt and AC and it looks like the offset thermostat should work

The Magnum version of the Edelbrock airgap manifold has the thermostat in the correct location and correct size for factory Magnum serpentine setup and AC compressor.
The LA version of the Edelbrock airgap, and the chinese copies, have the larger LA thermostat located too far left to make the Magnum AC compressor bracket fit easily, although some got creative and made them work with modificatons.
If you know you are staying carbureted, the Edelbrock Magnum airgap is best choice.

The Magnum version of the Edelbrock airgap manifold has the thermostat in the correct location and correct size for factory Magnum serpentine setup and AC compressor.
The LA version of the Edelbrock airgap, and the chinese copies, have the larger LA thermostat located too far left to make the Magnum AC compressor bracket fit easily, although some got creative and made them work with modificatons.
If you know you are staying carbureted, the Edelbrock Magnum airgap is best choice.
Thanks for the info! I will order a magnum bolt head and intake and put the stock serpentine setup back on it.... I will dyno with a carb but run a sniper EFI in the car.

Thanks for the info! I will order a magnum bolt head and intake and put the stock serpentine setup back on it.... I will dyno with a carb but run a sniper EFI in the car.

Are you getting the EQ heads from IMMEngines? That's where I got mine and they perform great! Give Brian a call 760-347-5493 He posts here on FABO too from time to time.

Here's an article to IMM's build using EQ Heads:

Make Big Power With Your Magnum 5.9L Mopar With These Heads! - Hot Rod Network

Just going with stock EQ heads that I will order from my local machine shop... this is for a very mild build

Mine was a mild build. Any milder and it will be pretty much stock. All I have into it is good heads, compression, an XE268 camshaft. It still made 403 HP on the dyno. I bet with some porting and a better cam, and I'd make more.

Just sayin! But I know that budget always determines the build.

Mine was a mild build. Any milder and it will be pretty much stock. All I have into it is good heads, compression, an XE268 camshaft. It still made 403 HP on the dyno. I bet with some porting and a better cam, and I'd make more.

Just sayin! But I know that budget always determines the build.

This might sound a bit strange but I’m actually de-tuning the car with this magnum build so it’s not about making big power... I want around 375hp and lots of low end torque....or about 100hp less than the last engine that was in the car.

This might sound a bit strange but I’m actually de-tuning the car with this magnum build so it’s not about making big power... I want around 375hp and lots of low end torque....or about 100hp less than the last engine that was in the car.

Right on! You chose a good set of heads. These EQ heads will definitely help with torque. My engine made over 430 lbs of torque.

Here's the video:

The torque peaked at around 4,400 RPM and I had over 400 lbs at 2,500 RPMs.

I'll try to get a picture of it tomorrow. The passenger side of the compressor at the back has maybe 1/16th of an inch clearance to the Tstat housing with no hose on it. I have heard that the real Edelbrock rpm will allow for the AC compressor. The Tstat is offset on it
Were you ever able to get pics of this? I’d like to see how close it is. @myduster360 told me at the Nats Saturday that the ram van ac compressors are shorter than the truck compressors, so if the interference is at the back corner of the compressor, the van compressor might remedy this! Here’s a few pics for comparison.

Truck compressor.
3BE5A018-6D3C-4014-98DA-31770A3BFC76.gif

Van Compressor.
3FC7346B-586C-4E5F-8A07-EF8D8FF7565E.jpeg

I’m gonna go do some junkyarding one day this week and see what I can find.

Were you ever able to get pics of this? I’d like to see how close it is. @myduster360 told me at the Nats Saturday that the ram van ac compressors are shorter than the truck compressors, so if the interference is at the back corner of the compressor, the van compressor might remedy this! Here’s a few pics for comparison.

Truck compressor.
View attachment 1715210362

Van Compressor.
View attachment 1715210361

I’m gonna go do some junkyarding one day this week and see what I can find.

Hey 75slant6.....any luck with the van compressor mock up? I just purchased the crosswinds intake not knowing about the compressor issue and really want to make this work with serpentine on my EQ Magnum set-up. I don't mind cutting up the A/C mount or some grinding.

Hey 75slant6.....any luck with the van compressor mock up? I just purchased the crosswinds intake not knowing about the compressor issue and really want to make this work with serpentine on my EQ Magnum set-up. I don't mind cutting up the A/C mount or some grinding.
Unfortunately I haven’t made it to the junkyard yet to check into this. I might have some time next week to go though, I’ll definitely keep y’all posted when I do.

That's a pretty sweet combo!
Any details you wanna divulge?

I don't have too many details really other than the EQ Heads prepped by IMM Engines, 9.6:1 compression ratio, Comp Cams XE268H cam, 1.6:1 Rocker Ratio (due to Magnum style heads), Edelbrock Air Gap intake

I don't have too many details really other than the EQ Heads prepped by IMM Engines, 9.6:1 compression ratio, Comp Cams XE268H cam, 1.6:1 Rocker Ratio (due to Magnum style heads), Edelbrock Air Gap intake
Thanks for the very informative reply.
Everybody should, in their lifetime, have at least one combo like that.
That sounds an awful lot like my combo,lol; I love all that crazy low-rpm torque!

Thanks for the very informative reply.
Everybody should, in their lifetime, have at least one combo like that.
That sounds an awful lot like my combo,lol; I love all that crazy low-rpm torque!

Yes! The low end torque is insane! I guess the only way to beat it (in terms of low end torque) would be a stroker or a big block.

I'd like to add Fuel Injection but the cost is pretty steep.

Thing is, where does a guy stop. When the tires spin at the drop of a hat, how much more torque can you use, like zero right? At the other end she spins to 60mph so it don't need to make more power right? The 360 is so versatile. The only reasons to have all that power, really, are to show off, or to push air at high-speed, like drag-racing. Right?
Yeah showing off is so much fun,lol.
As to EFI, that was on my wish-list at one time too, a long time ago. No more. The 750DP does it for me. I would however, like to try something a little bigger someday, just for the halibut.

Last edited:

Truck compressor.
View attachment 1715210362

Van Compressor.
View attachment 1715210361

I’m gonna go do some junkyarding one day this week and see what I can
Interested to see if this works out. What year van?

Well, I went to the junkyard yesterday and sadly that junkyard has turned into a “improved, efficient” HOLE!!! Not a single vehicle still had an engine still in it, wiring harnesses cut and even if they had complete vehicles there, there weren’t any full size dodge vans... :( I’ll have to check another small junkyard farther away or drive to Nashville to the pick a part.

Here's a picture of the AC delete pulley, you can see where it would interfere with the thermostat neck if the compressor were there

IMG_20180902_200341.jpg

-
Back