Crosswind air gap clone and ram truck serpentine setup

Discussion in 'Magnum Engine Swaps' started by sport74, Aug 27, 2017.

1. JoePole1

JoePole1 Member

Local Time:
    4:53 PM

Great pic Sport. Still thinking the shorter van compressor may work with some re-engineering. Cut here....new bracket there. Perhaps even shimming the AC mounting bracket or compressor up and a longer belt. Intake still hasn't arrived (3 weeks) so I can't do any mock up. On a positive note I scored an '01 5.9 with 72K on it for $300. Haven't pulled the heads yet but the lifter galley and rockers look like new. Thanks for the info.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • sport74

sport74 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      3:53 PM
      So after thinking about the spacers, I did a little measuring to see and, sure enough the bolt hole would be right at the edge of the Tstat housing. Plus some more of the compressor behind that. The bolt holes are 5" by 5" center to center. That being said, there are some more holes on my compressor that measure 3.5" deep center to center. ( Not sure if they started making a dual fitment compressor or not) if the van compressor measures out to the 3.5 depth, maybe it will be around 4.5" deep total from the front bolt hole center. If so this could be a viable option for us to run without shelling out for another intake

IMG_20180910_193928.jpg

• Like Like x 2
      • JoePole1

JoePole1 Member

Local Time:
        4:53 PM
        Hey Sport74,
        Are you using the Van or Pick-up AC/Alt mount on your engine? Looks like there is a difference. I referenced your earlier pics and some from RockAuto and the compressors are a lot different in length but I could not get a good enough view to reference some measurements. On the van compressor, the back of the unit is just past the mounting holes. If I had to guess I would say 3/8". I have a Pick-up style compressor but does anyone have the Van style for comparison? The front of pulley to back side of rear mounting holes would be really helpful.

• 1994redram

1994redram FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
        I don't have one. But a parts store probably does and if not, they might order one in for you to measure.

• Like Like x 1
        • sport74

sport74 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
          I am using the truck bracket. I'm pretty sure the van bracket would be different to accommodate the smaller compressor. My bracket has been Van Gogh'd to accommodate the intake also.

• Like Like x 1