Cuda Capers // 6-17-07

-

FASTBACK340

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Pulled the steering column & pedals so I could Fat-Mat the firewall and clean/replace various parts. I have a rebuild steering column and I wanted to paint the pedal assemblies. I'm also upgrading to a late model large bore aluminum master cylinder. I also pulled the emergency brake cable (wish I did it BEFORE it was painted...) in the hopes of either cleaning it up, or replacing it.

All in all, a great day. Nice & warm, getting a good tan, music pumping, and building my car. Life is good.
Barracuda305-vi.jpg

This is as much fun as it looks like... one big mosaic of bits-n-pieces.

CarStuff073-vi.jpg

If you've never installed sound mat, it's pretty easy. It will stretch and lay very close to whatever contour it's applied to. It just eats through knife blade quickly.
Barracuda302-vi.jpg

I also (finally...) got good paint on my dash frame. As soon as my rivets get here for the VIN tag I'll install the dash pads and mount it so I can get the glass in the car.
Barracuda303-vi.jpg

The trick here is to get good, even coverage for the color to be consistent, THEN go over it from a good distance and just fog on a mist layer to give it that pebble effect to the surface. I used Krylon Semi-Flat and it looks great. Especially for a backyard resto....
Barracuda304-vi.jpg

Ready to go in. I would have mounted the heater box and steering column but I forgot them in my other garage and I didn't feel like putting the car & tools away to go get them, and then push the car back out. Not that anyone would fool with it, but why chance it.

After the heater box, column, and pedals the headliner goes in then the glass. Bit by bit it's getting there...

Barracuda305-vi.jpg

Barracuda305-vi.jpg

CarStuff073-vi.jpg

CarStuff073-vi.jpg

Barracuda302-vi.jpg

Barracuda302-vi.jpg

Barracuda303-vi.jpg

Barracuda303-vi.jpg

Barracuda304-vi.jpg

Barracuda304-vi.jpg

how does the fat mat compare to dynamat? 100 sq ft for $99 seems like a steal. how much are you using?

daves66valiant said:
how does the fat mat compare to dynamat? 100 sq ft for $99 seems like a steal. how much are you using?

I have 100 sq. ft. and I've gone through less than half a roll doing the firewall. I'm figuring I'll probably need another 50' roll to finish it up. Being my car is a fastback I have a little more area to cover.

As for a comparision, this is my first time installing sound deadener. It's just thin foil, tar paper, and adhesive. The difference between brands must be the thickness...

Looking real good John!! The dash took on a good look. :thumbup:
keep it up. and keep us posted I want to see more. :blob:

Coyote Jack said:
Looks good John. I remember when mine looked like that. You are doing a great job.

Jack

Thanks for the compliments! This weekend I realized how much FUN I was having working on the car. That's the reason I bought the damn thing in the first place! After all the hassles I had it's nice to just BUILD.... ASSEMBLE.... CREATE....

Then hopefully take it out and beat the wee out of it!

FASTBACK340 said:
I have 100 sq. ft. and I've gone through less than half a roll doing the firewall.

I should clarify that the 100' of FatMat came in TWO 50' rolls. I'm halfway through just a single 50' roll. That's why I figure I'll need to tap into a third roll.

-
Back