Custom center console!!

-

player1up

Reaction score
Well I finally got fed up with spilling my drink in my lap this past week and decided that it was time to get to building the center console...( it was actually when I dropped the 2 piece seatbelt into my cup o' dew... :( ) and besides I needed a place to hide the small amp.

I figured what the heck it can't cost too much right?

So here it is, my first real attempt at "building" a console. The cup holders are from some thing at wal-mart that smashes between the seats on your car, anyway, I cut it up and soon freed the cup holders from the rest of the plastic.. The biggest pain of the whole thing is the curve in the floor which means meticulous template making..

The wood is what was left over from various past projects, and I had most of the stuff just laying around..

I still need to make the brackets that hold it to the floor but I was too caught up in seeing what it was going to look like. anyway what does everyone think?

IMG00420 (Small).jpg

IMG00423 (Small).jpg

IMG00424 (Small).jpg

IMG00425 (Small).jpg

IMG00426 (Small).jpg

IMG00427 (Small).jpg

IMG00431 (Small).jpg

IMG00430 (Small).jpg

IMG00434 (Small).jpg

Damn! Looks like someone has some upholstery skills! Looks very nice man.

Mike

Silly me. I thought the first pic was the finished thing, and I thought "Uhhh...wow". The I scrolled down and saw the ACTUAL finished product, and said WOW! Great looking work!

I've spent some time hanging out at a friends upholstery shop and I picked up a few tricks.

Jimmy...holy crap. LMAO and next week I'm makin' some o' thar 2x4 brush gards... :lol:

damn! that's nice! have you installed it or just test fit it? how's it fit under the dash portion?

Awesome,very nice work,gives me some ideas,Thank's for posting the pic's.

SWEET LOOKS DAM GOOD HOW ABOUT A FULL INTERIOR PIC DID YOU GO JUST UP TO THE DASH OR UNDER ECT..:cheers:

Thanks for the kind words...

this is what it looks like up at the dash side, it should be a little closer when the brackets go in..
I think I may have to do something like gauges or lights or lcd screen or beer tap or something cool towards the front.....

IMG00432 (Small).jpg

AND woodworking skills to boot!.......

Not so much, it kinda lined up.... a sanding disk on a 4 1/2 inch angle grinder can smooth out things that don't match quite well :lol: MDF is very forgiving..and the angle grinder shapes it like butter..most of the cuts were made with a jig saw and a chop saw helped square up the small pieces.

You are distributing detailed prints to everyone in FABO of this console, correct?

Looks good! Rog

Thanks, as for the measurements, I'll do a little schematic thing with all of the angles and lengths, but I'm not sure what they ended up at because of the constant reshaping of the bottom edges.

OH dang near forgot.... I had to modify the seat belts to sit right. Take a look at the last pic in the first post.. you'll see how the driver seat belt is modified, I used a heat gun to re-twist the plastic housing for the latch...the latch still works in the old config but it's a little easier to use after the fix.

Well now, if you make the storage area as deep as possible, line with plastic and rig up a drain hose out of the bottom...you'll have a neat little ice chest to hold your beverage of choice! Great work on the console!!!

Very, very nice. I am considering doing something similar with my '67 New Yorker (for road trips). I hope to find some multi-adjustable buckets in a junk yard to replace the front bench. I am familiar with working with MDF - it is a great product. There are some very talented people on this site.

Well now, if you make the storage area as deep as possible, line with plastic and rig up a drain hose out of the bottom...you'll have a neat little ice chest to hold your beverage of choice! Great work on the console!!!

that is funny, I had thought about putting one of those piezoelectric coolers in where the armrest is but I didn't feel like cutting up $80 worth of hardware just to "try" it.
The storage part is only half the total distance deep, I just needed it to hold the mp3 player. I'll be doing the 90 or 120 amp alternator thing this weekend (don't ask) so I might have some more gadgets to put in on the next go around.

Definitely post another shot so we can see it installed. I really like the look from what I can see.

Grant

that is funny, I had thought about putting one of those piezoelectric coolers in where the armrest is but I didn't feel like cutting up $80 worth of hardware just to "try" it.
The storage part is only half the total distance deep, I just needed it to hold the mp3 player. I'll be doing the 90 or 120 amp alternator thing this weekend (don't ask) so I might have some more gadgets to put in on the next go around.
ALRIGHT!!! Now you can change the cooler to a freezer and keep your popsicles frozen!

very nice job. how long and wide is the cup holder part you cut up? i made one for my dart and i dont like my cup holders, if i could get somethin like that itd look MUCH better

-
Back