Custom Cometic head gasket pics

-
Duane,
Well thought out and executed plan. Very clean and well done. I wish I were as capable. Happy Thanksgiving to you all!

Thanks for the compliment. But I will feel better when it all actually runs lol.

I dyno tested something similar with W-5 heads and didn't find anything. I eventually undid it all and just ran the lines from in between the exhaust ports back to the water crossover in the intake.
W5's are Al-U-Minimum, the heat transfer rate on Duane's Iron units will show more appreciation..........................

Duane

Did you ever get this motor running? And if so how did the new head gaskets work out?

Duane

Did you ever get this motor running? And if so how did the new head gaskets work out?
Motor is pretty much ready to go into the car.
The car is in the local chassis shop right now getting a full cage put in and some other upgrades.
Will be a while yet till motor is running.
Short block is totally ready to run,pan is on,gear drive etc.just heads and intake left. Hopefully by this summer.

Duane
Are you making any of those center freeze plug cooling adapters for sale?
The last 406 sbc I built, I drilled and tapped coolant holes in the block between the center cylinders, coming off drilled and tapped holes in the water pump, and tapped the intake for lines from the back of the intake to the drilled and tapped thermostat housing. it worked out very well. I started to do it on my 440/505, but decided not to, because of space problem w/ my set up.

The last 406 sbc I built, I drilled and tapped coolant holes in the block between the center cylinders, coming off drilled and tapped holes in the water pump, and tapped the intake for lines from the back of the intake to the drilled and tapped thermostat housing. it worked out very well. I started to do it on my 440/505, but decided not to, because of space problem w/ my set up.

At the back of the manifold where you drilled and tapped it did you weld bungs there to screw fittings into to run the hoses up to the thermostat housing?

At the back of the manifold where you drilled and tapped it did you weld bungs there to screw fittings into to run the hoses up to the thermostat housing?
I have this mod as well. My intake manifold is threaded 1/2 pipe inline with the coolant port on the heads. I thread the fitting right into the threaded manifold.
I cannot supply those centre freeze plugs. They were custom made by a friend. Sorry.

No, in fact I had to grind the ribs off that were in that area before tapping. Some intakes have it there and some don`t. If I remember , it was a victor jr. I used 1/8" x 3/8" brass fitting that was drilled out as far as possible, it doesn`t take much to improve the flow and let the air out of them in that area.

I have this mod as well. My intake manifold is threaded 1/2 pipe inline with the coolant port on the heads. I thread the fitting right into the threaded manifold.
I cannot supply those centre freeze plugs. They were custom made by a friend. Sorry.
Duane can you tell me what headers you are running. I'm doing this same mod but no way the headers cley on the passenger side that I can see. Can you show pics of your headers or mock up? Thanks

Duane can you tell me what headers you are running. I'm doing this same mod but no way the headers cley on the passenger side that I can see. Can you show pics of your headers or mock up? Thanks
Lol I cannot show you because I am currently test fitting everything myself. I have not checked my header clearance as I am sorting out oil pan clearance issues and oil hose fitting issues.
I will probable test fit headers next week and I can let you know.
In my experience any time you start doing custom mods you will always have figment issues to resolve.
I have spent all week this week modifying custom fittings to get my external oil filter plumbing to work.
I too may have header issues, but I do not know for sure yet.
My headers are old heddman w2 1 7/8 tubes.
I will keep you posted.

I am using a motor plate and am hoping the coolant hoses will be able to pass through where the stock motor mounts were.
Not certain yet though.
Sent me a pic of you engine bay and maybe I can help you.

-
Back