Cutting up a car...

-

'64 Cuda

Reaction score
Wasn't sure whether to put this here or in the Early A Body secction, but I'll start here.

My 64 Barracuda has some rust in the lower rear quarters & above the wheel wells. It has been hit in the left rear & repaired a long time ago & the tail light doesn't fit quite right against the body. There is filler in the panel below the trunk lid that the latch attaches to. The rear valance also has some damage & has broken away some on the right from where a leaf spring broke & slid back & hit it. It also has a shallow fist sized depression with a fairly sharp edge to it in the roof just above the rear view mirror.

I have a parts car. There's no engine or trans in it. Another member here wants the rear frame rails. The quarters are pretty good & the rear valence & trunk latch panel are probably better than the ones on my car. The floors are bad with a lot of rust holes.

When we go to cut this car up, where should we make the major cuts? I was thinking maybe keep the rear together from the door jambs back & cut the roof somewhere, possibly at the bottoms of the sail panels. Cut the A pillars & save the front clip with the frame rails for now. Cut across the floor just behind the torsion bar mounts. I need to get this to where it's not taking up so much room in my shop. Any suggestions?

We'll probably have access to a torch, a couple of recip saws, & I have a compressor & an air chisel. The chisel just has the basic 5 piece set of tools that came with it. Do I need to get some type of panel cutter tip (is there such a thing)?

I just got done cutting up a car. I useed a sawzall. Cut through that car like it was butter with the right blade.

You'll have to determine where the cuts will have to be made but here is the set of air hammer bits I use:
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item...9&group_ID=844&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

I would say that I use the two outside bits for 99% of the chiseling. The one on the lft. for slicing thin sheetmetal and the one on the rt. for breaking loose spot welds that I have already drilled out. Use a Blair spot weld cutter or just get a few 5/16" drill bits to get through the spot welds.

-
Back