Cylinder Head Choice

-

Spacegrass

Reaction score
Super newbie here, looking to upgrade cylinder heads for more overall horsepower. I recently got a Comp Cams XE262H at the suggestion of a friend, but haven’t installed it.

Any advice is helpful!

What are we working with here? How much power? Intended use? Short block specs? Budget? Willing to do a push rod length check? LA? Magnum? We need details to be able to help.

What are we working with here? How much power? Intended use? Short block specs? Budget? Willing to do a push rod length check? LA? Magnum? We need details to be able to help.

LA 318 in a 73 Swinger.
Intake is LD4B
750CFM Edelbrock 4 Barrel carb
Can’t do a push rod check
Street/Drag use!

Many aftermarket heads provide little performance improvements...just look cooler to some.

If you want HP buy Trick Flow, Edelbrock Victor or a ported version of an Edelbrock.

I get a lot of flack about my opinion of imported heads. I say stay away especially with " ready to run" heads...they all must be disassembled and checked. The cheap ones have cheap parts.

May the beatings begin.

Many aftermarket heads provide little performance improvements...just look cooler to some.

If you want HP buy Trick Flow, Edelbrock Victor or a ported version of an Edelbrock.

I get a lot of flack about my opinion of imported heads. I say stay away especially with " ready to run" heads...they all must be disassembled and checked. The cheap ones have cheap parts.

May the beatings begin.

That’s super helpful! I’m looking at Summit now. What do you think the best Trick Flow model would be for a 318 with my specs?

Whats your budget? Slap some Magnum heads and a crosswind on it. Instant 30 cfm.

You'll be hard-pressed to beat the pro Comp 170s for price and performance. If you wait till Black Friday you'll be able to get them about 30% off they're capable of 450ish horses as cast. I've had mine on my 340 for 5 or 6 years and have been extremely happy with them.

You'll be hard-pressed to beat the pro Comp 170s for price and performance. If you wait till Black Friday you'll be able to get them about 30% off they're capable of 450ish horses as cast. I've had mine on my 340 for 5 or 6 years and have been extremely happy with them.

THANK YOU! This is exactly the answer I was looking for.

LA 318 in a 73 Swinger.
Intake is LD4B
750CFM Edelbrock 4 Barrel carb
Street/Drag use!
Cam is too small to take much advantage of Aftermarket aluminum heads. I did a "test" doing the same thing but a 360, and gained 2.5 tenths. It would help, but it wouldn't be what you'd be looking for in my opinion. If that's the cam and intake you are using, I'd do up the 318 heads.

What heads would you suggest?
I'd have to know the gear ratio, the converter being used (or is it a 4 speed??). I mean, you could bolt a set of aftermarket heads on, but I think you'd be disappointed. The 318 heads could be worked, such as porting. But, if you can't do any of the work or not willing to learn, then that can add up too.

I'd have to know the gear ratio, the converter being used (or is it a 4 speed??). I mean, you could bolt a set of aftermarket heads on, but I think you'd be disappointed. The 318 heads could be worked, such as porting. But, if you can't do any of the work or not willing to learn, then that can add up too.

It’s got a 727, and unfortunately doing the porting myself wouldn’t be practical right now.

what gears, what converter??? That's HUGE when selecting parts for the engine. SERIOUSLY !!!

Edit: Stock torque converter.

I put all my info into a gear ratio calculator and this is what I got. Is this what you’re looking for?

232BF370-BC6D-472F-B5C6-8FDCCC5C6B96.jpeg

Edit: Stock torque converter.

I put all my info into a gear ratio calculator and this is what I got. Is this what you’re looking for?

View attachment 1715737158
Stock converter, ok. Now, if you look at the back or your rear end, there will be a tag (or should be) that says the gear ratio. 2.76 ? 3.23 ?? It will be on the cover bolts... if it's original

Stock converter, ok. Now, if you look at the back or your rear end, there will be a tag (or should be) that says the gear ratio. 2.76 ? 3.23 ?? It will be on the cover bolts... if it's original
Thanks for bearing with me! It’s 2.76

Thanks for bearing with me! It’s 2.76
ok, do you have any intentions of changing the gears or converter?? The 318 isn't going to get a lot of help with those gears and converter. IF you aren't changing them, then your cam and intake will be fine. I would then work with the 318 heads.

In my opinion forget getting aftermarket heads. Just a cam swap can have risks of getting the preload right. Enter aftermarket heads, your going to have to check rocker geometry and push rod length to get the preload right. Was the cam degreed when installed?

ok, do you have any intentions of changing the gears or converter?? The 318 isn't going to get a lot of help with those gears and converter. IF you aren't changing them, then your cam and intake will be fine. I would then work with the 318 heads.
I would like to at least upgrade the converter but I don’t know where to start. What would you suggest I get to replace the stock one?

If I can’t work with the stock 318 heads I’ve got, what would be a good alternative to porting?

Thank you so much for working with me. Im fairly young, I live in a city where I don’t know anyone who understands cars and I’m new to working on cars myself - but I’m trying to learn as best as I can.

In my opinion forget getting aftermarket heads. Just a cam swap can have risks of getting the preload right. Enter aftermarket heads, your going to have to check rocker geometry and push rod length to get the preload right. Was the cam degreed when installed?

The cam hasn’t been installed yet.

I would like to at least upgrade the converter but I don’t know where to start. What would you suggest I get to replace the stock one?

If I can’t work with the stock 318 heads I’ve got, what would be a good alternative to porting?

Thank you so much for working with me. Im fairly young, I live in a city where I don’t know anyone who understands cars and I’m new to working on cars myself - but I’m trying to learn as best as I can.
I'd have to know what kind of budget you are looking at for the projects. A decent converter may cost you 600+... I wouldn't get a 200 dollar converter, I'd keep the stock one in that case. I'm guessing you have a 7.25 rear end, which is ok with a mild 318 but not a big HP engine. FABO is a great source to learn. Honestly, I have a lot of ground zero stuff for newbies on my youtube channel, heads included. If you haven't looked yet, here's a link. 318willrun - YouTube

I'd have to know what kind of budget you are looking at for the projects. A decent converter may cost you 600+... I wouldn't get a 200 dollar converter, I'd keep the stock one in that case. I'm guessing you have a 7.25 rear end, which is ok with a mild 318 but not a big HP engine. FABO is a great source to learn. Honestly, I have a lot of ground zero stuff for newbies on my youtube channel, heads included. If you haven't looked yet, here's a link. 318willrun - YouTube

I actually watch your channel a lot, but didn’t want to say anything! It’s been a definite help in understanding a lot of basics.

I would imagine a rear end swap is in my future, but I would need to find a new one first. I don’t mind spending $600+ on a new converter if that’s going to mean a significant performance upgrade.

I actually watch your channel a lot, but didn’t want to say anything! It’s been a definite help in understanding a lot of basics.

I would imagine a rear end swap is in my future, but I would need to find a new one first. I don’t mind spending $600+ on a new converter if that’s going to mean a significant performance upgrade.
Thank you for watching. The biggest thing is selecting components that compliment each other. If you are going to do more "drag racing" as in 1/4 mile and that's your biggest concern, but still drive it on the streets but not really on highways, then you may want at least a 3.55, but maybe 4.11. The higher the number, the more RPM's it will turn on the road, but the quicker it will launch. The converter gets the engine in it's RPM range of power quickly - if not immediately. Larger cams, big flowing heads, and high rise single plane intakes moves the RPM band up - and more power. So you can see, large cam, heads, and such on the small 318 will not play well with the 2.76 gears and stock converter. It can be lazy out of the hole shot, and not very fun. So you have to compliment that engine build with better gears and converter.

All that said, IF you build the rest for a good set of heads, I've heard the quality of Trick Flow's are awesome, but they cost $$$$.
The edelbrocks have been around a long time and are proven to work
The Speedmaster heads are a chinese knock off of the edelbrocks, that is what i have.
Promaxx have some nice pieces as well.

-
Back