Cylinder Head/Flange/Headers Question

-

wwwfora

Reaction score
I bought a 1973 Dodge Dart Sport, and for the life of me I can't find out what cylinder head is on this engine. I heard it was a 360 build, but there is some type of sub flange between the headers and the cylinder head! I've never seen this and is it necessary. Can I take it off. Only this header will fit that bolt patter of the flange, I have no idea what the bolt pattern for the exhaust looks like under the flange. I'm also having trouble finding a header that will fit those flanges. Don't know the make of the headers either. Yea, I know i'm lost here, but if you guys have any information that could help me I would appreciate it. I've included a picture hope it shows up!

Picture 001.jpg

LOL, No doubt, no doubt. W-2 headers sometimes require a sub flange to blot up to the head.

So, my question is the sub flange is stipped on the middle top thread. How could I ever possibly find a replacement. And why didn't this person match up headers to the heads and not use sub flanges? And how can I ever find the correct gasket to match the header bolt pattern? This thing has more exhaust leaks then boss hog. Thanks for your help!

So, my question is the sub flange is stipped on the middle top thread.
What is "Stipped?

How could I ever possibly find a replacement.
Subflange? Make it, local machinest shop should be able to handle this easy.

And why didn't this person match up headers to the heads and not use sub flanges?
Often standard header are easy and cheaply available while W-2 headers are often expensive race parts not to mention they often required 1 or more tubes over the frame or cut fenderwells.

And how can I ever find the correct gasket to match the header bolt pattern?
You mean a W-2 gasket? MoPar has them, I have a set as well, they come in the MoPar gasket kit along with a verity of other gaskets you won't use.

This thing has more exhaust leaks then boss hog.
You mean that fat ol Boss from the Dukes of Hazzard or a Chevy engine on a bike? LOL :snakeman:

What is "Stipped?
In the picture the that's the sub flange between the head and the header, cylinder 4,6. You see the header bolts into the flange, not the cylinder head anymore, like what is common correct? Why use a subflange? I don't know why this person didn't just get pipes to connect up to the head? I figure if you strip a bolt, you can replace the flange and not the head like in my case.

Subflange? Make it, local machinest shop should be able to handle this easy.

I could have a shop make them, but why can't I find these anywhere online. I've spent countess hours, Hedman, Husler, Drag, Pro Street, Hooker sites....grrrr, doesn't anything come with a demarkation anymore? :)

Often standard header are easy and cheaply available while W-2 headers are often expensive race parts not to mention they often required 1 or more tubes over the frame or cut fenderwells.

Well these headers had to be hammered to fit inside the wells, but if the sub flange was removed than they would have the necessary clearance.

Quote:
And how can I ever find the correct gasket to match the header bolt pattern?
You mean a W-2 gasket? MoPar has them, I have a set as well, they come in the MoPar gasket kit along with a verity of other gaskets you won't use.

My problem is the bolt patter on the W-2 is different than the subflange, so when you bolt on the flange the pattern changed. I can't just order a w-2 gasket anymore. This header bolts on with a 7 bolt pattern, where a w-2 has a standard of 6 correct?

Quote:
This thing has more exhaust leaks then boss hog.
You mean that fat ol Boss from the Dukes of Hazzard or a Chevy engine on a bike? LOL :snakeman:

I meant the Hazzard county lot--->Sorry for all the stupid questions, but this is a hobby I'm trying to get into. If you want to feel stupid I can't talk about computers components, then you'll know how I feel about asking these questions in forums.... have pity. Thank you. AutoShop in Highschool was a long way off.

"Stipped"
In the picture the that's the sub flange between the head and the header, cylinder 4,6. You see the header bolts into the flange, not the cylinder head anymore, like what is common correct?

Why use a subflange?
It's used because the header is for another head.

I don't know why this person didn't just get pipes to connect up to the head?
W-2 headers are hard to find nevermind fitting right.

I figure if you strip a bolt, you can replace the flange and not the head like in my case.
You need to replace the head?
The flange was for adapating.

I could have a shop make them, but why can't I find these anywhere online. I've spent countess hours, Hedman, Husler, Drag, Pro Street, Hooker sites....grrrr, doesn't anything come with a demarkation anymore? :)
Agreed. Wacko parts to find.

Well these headers had to be hammered to fit inside the wells, but if the sub flange was removed than they would have the necessary clearance.
I hate to say this, but your singing to the choir on header fitment, nothing new. Sad to say.

My problem is the bolt patter on the W-2 is different than the subflange, so when you bolt on the flange the pattern changed. I can't just order a w-2 gasket anymore. This header bolts on with a 7 bolt pattern, where a w-2 has a standard of 6 correct?

Hummmmmm, yes. The bolt pattern of the headers are more modern W-7,8,9

I meant the Hazzard county lot--->Sorry for all the stupid questions, but this is a hobby I'm trying to get into. If you want to feel stupid I can't talk about computers components, then you'll know how I feel about asking these questions in forums.... have pity. Thank you. AutoShop in Highschool was a long way off.

LOL, that's OK, no sweat, I'm not poking fun at you. Pity? No, just a natural helpping kind of guy. Pity you don't need and won't get from me, but a helping hand is allways there. I'll be most happy to help you and everyone here get into and understand cars as much as I can. Everyone was a beginner at one time.

Hooker/Headman/tti have W-2 headers, I'd look to the TTI's myself.

Sell what you have to off set the cost of new headers.

W2 Heads :scratch: why does that ring a bell ?

Don't headers have any kind of casting number? I looked yesterday and I can't find anything anywhere. I guess a look at the ports would give me an idea. Well right now I just want to find a gasket that fits without making one. I'm going to yank these drag headers off for some TTI's or Hookers? Does anybody know about fitment? TTI sounds like they spent a lot of time to route around steering, starter and other equipment, where Hooker doesn't really mention. Man this stuff is way more confusing than I thought. I thought building a master bath was hard this is a total pain, but definately more rewarding :)

-
Back