D/Dart Conversation

-

dart4forte

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Lets start a D/Dart conversation i.e. known cars that exist and their whereabouts, pictures of known cars, history, tech, race teams racing the D/Dart etc.

Sold as part of the Ellis Collection at Dana Mecum's 2009 Original Spring Classic Auction for $40,000 USD. Described as "The 1966 Dodge D/Dart was a Factory Dart package built solely for drag racing. The 273 v8 was rated at 275hp and weighing in at just over 2900 lbs. The car qualified for NHRA's D/Stock category.
Dodge's normally aspired high performance 273 was rated at 235hp. The extra 40hp the D/Dart produced was basic hotrodding. Off the speedshop shelf bolt on's included Racer Brown valve springs, a Camcraft 284-degree .500" lift cam, Doug's Headers, and a Holley 4160 bolted to the stock intake. All were equipped with the A-833 4 Speed and a Hurst shifter, Weber clutch components, and an 8 3/4 Suregrip with 4.86 gears. Unavailable for this car were air conditioning and a warranty. There were no external badging or markings to note the D/Dart package over a regular Dart GT.
The picture in the 1966 Car Craft article was of a white Dart GT with Cragar S/S mag wheels. They tested the car at 14.33 @ 92.21 mph.
This superstock D/Dart package is identified on these seldom seen cars by VIN number and data plate. The cars were Dart GTs 1966 cars and are certified by decoding the aforementioned as done by expert Galen Govier.
These cars have a VIN that begins LO23. The order includes the following sales codes: 699 - Special Order (Super Stock Dart); 409 - Special Order Axle; 364 - Super Stock; 624 - heavy-duty suspension; 32 - engine code; 554 - delete rear seat belts; 393 - four speed transmission; 21 - 6.95 X 14 BSW rayon 2-ply tires; 408 -Sure Grip; P4H - trim code (red); WW1 - paint code (white).
This particular example is documented with an decoding by expert Galen Govier which states that it was produced on April 17, 1966 as a special order assembled at the Hamtramck, MI plant as a Sold as part of the Ellis Collection at Dana Mecum's 2009 Original Spring Classic Auction for $40,000 USD. Described as "The 1966 Dodge D/Dart was a Factory Dart package built solely for drag racing. The 273 v8 was rated at 275hp and weighing in at just over 2900 lbs. The car qualified for NHRA's D/Stock category.
Dodge's normally aspired high performance 273 was rated at 235hp. The extra 40hp the D/Dart produced was basic hotrodding. Off the speedshop shelf bolt on's included Racer Brown valve springs, a Camcraft 284-degree .500" lift cam, Doug's Headers, and a Holley 4160 bolted to the stock intake. All were equipped with the A-833 4 Speed and a Hurst shifter, Weber clutch components, and an 8 3/4 Suregrip with 4.86 gears. Unavailable for this car were air conditioning and a warranty. There were no external badging or markings to note the D/Dart package over a regular Dart GT.
The picture in the 1966 Car Craft article was of a white Dart GT with Cragar S/S mag wheels. They tested the car at 14.33 @ 92.21 mph.
This superstock D/Dart package is identified on these seldom seen cars by VIN number and data plate. The cars were Dart GTs 1966 cars and are certified by decoding the aforementioned as done by expert Galen Govier.
These cars have a VIN that begins LO23. The order includes the following sales codes: 699 - Special Order (Super Stock Dart); 409 - Special Order Axle; 364 - Super Stock; 624 - heavy-duty suspension; 32 - engine code; 554 - delete rear seat belts; 393 - four speed transmission; 21 - 6.95 X 14 BSW rayon 2-ply tires; 408 -Sure Grip; P4H - trim code (red); WW1 - paint code (white).
This particular example is documented with an decoding by expert Galen Govier which states that it was produced on April 17, 1966 as a special order assembled at the Hamtramck, MI plant as a

Strange that they would make them out of the high end GT hardtop instead of a lower priced 170 2dr sedan. Is that air cleaner a special one made just for that appication or was it an off-the-shelf item from some other model?

:burnout:

Attachments

• SC0509-80169_1.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 693
  • SC0509-80169_2.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 701
  • SC0509-80169_5.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 702
  • SC0509-80169_7.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 689
I wonder what wheels and tires that one has on the back. They look about perfect!

The air cleaner in the first photo looks like it could be from a max wedge.

:glasses7:

Attachments

• d-dart2.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 709
  • 29126340003_large.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 654
  • 2012481510082607023S600x600Q85.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 694
Cool thread.
Acid dipping and an aluminum front end would be cool.
Looks like they had a deep oil pan.

The air cleaner in the first photo looks like it could be from a max wedge.

Yep has the wrong intake to. Looks like an Eddy. Should be the stock 273 4bLL with an adapter for the Holley carb. And should have Dougs headers from the fac.

Sold as part of the Ellis Collection at Dana Mecum's 2009 Original Spring Classic Auction for $40,000 USD. Described as "The 1966 Dodge D/Dart was a Factory Dart package built solely for drag racing. The 273 v8 was rated at 275hp and weighing in at just over 2900 lbs. The car qualified for NHRA's D/Stock category.
This particular example is documented with an decoding by expert Galen Govier which states that it was produced on April 17, 1966 as a special order assembled at the Hamtramck, MI plant as a Sold as part of the Ellis Collection at Dana Mecum's 2009 Original Spring Classic Auction for $40,000 USD. Described as "The 1966 Dodge D/Dart was a Factory Dart package built solely for drag racing. The 273 v8 was rated at 275hp and weighing in at just over 2900 lbs. The car qualified for NHRA's D/Stock category.
This particular example is documented with an decoding by expert Galen Govier which states that it was produced on April 17, 1966 as a special order assembled at the Hamtramck, MI plant as a

That car has been running the auction circuit for several years. It is a LO23 car. Some things that are not correct.

Aircleaner. The aircleaner was a specially one-off made part. It's not the same as the regular 4 barrel aircleaner. The aircleaner on the car appears to be off a max wedge car.

Master Cylinder. These cars came with 10" drum brakes. The car depicted has been modified and has disk brakes

Intake: Appears to have an aftermarker intake. These cars came with the stock cast iron 4 barrel intake with a specially made spacer. I belive the intake and spacer holes were 1 11/16"

Headers. The headers depicted in the picture are the aftermarket Dougs headers made now by Petronix. The original headers were basiclly assembled from many pieces. if you go to that D/Dart site there's a picture of the factory headers and the Y pipe single exhaust that came on the car.

These cars came off the show room floor with radio, heater and back seat.

No matter that car would be a cool car to have.

Yes, great thread! That Dart is really sweet.

I believe there is a picture of a black D/Dart in my Mopar Performance Engines book.

this white car use to belong to my buddy, he sold it but still has another original one with the original headers and parts, i will get him to chime in on this subject. I do not believe he is a member so I will e mail him the link so he can join and comment on the subject.

this white car use to belong to my buddy, he sold it but still has another original one with the original headers and parts, i will get him to chime in on this subject. I do not believe he is a member so I will e mail him the link so he can join and comment on the subject.

Thanks John for starting the thread and thanks Darrell for sending me the link. The white one that was in the Ellis Collection was mine. There's lots of incorrect stuff on that car. I'll leave it at that.

Old race cars---
The P0LITICIAN (Spehar Performance - Birmingham, Mich.)
Big Bad Dart Jr. (Frederick Dodge - Canfield, Ohio)
Sam Brown Dodge (Salem, Ohio ????)
Bounty Hunter (Maryland)
Newcomer
Coronet Dodge (Missouri ????)
Suburban Dodge Boys (Chicago, Ill ????)
Baby Goat
Little Ramcharger (Georgia ???)
Mount Vernon Dodge
Porach Dodge (Cleveland, Ohio ???)
Yakima Dodge (Washington)
John Bedell's car --- pictures on D/Dart site
I'll have to look in my records and see if I have any more names.

There's a thread in the Archives on the D/Darts.

Thanks John for starting the thread and thanks Darrell for sending me the link. The white one that was in the Ellis Collection was mine. There's lots of incorrect stuff on that car. I'll leave it at that.

Old race cars---
The P0LITICIAN (Spehar Performance - Birmingham, Mich.)
Big Bad Dart Jr. (Frederick Dodge - Canfield, Ohio)
Sam Brown Dodge (Salem, Ohio ????)
Bounty Hunter (Maryland)
Newcomer
Coronet Dodge (Missouri ????)
Suburban Dodge Boys (Chicago, Ill ????)
Baby Goat
Little Ramcharger (Georgia ???)
Mount Vernon Dodge
Porach Dodge (Cleveland, Ohio ???)
Yakima Dodge (Washington)
John Bedell's car --- pictures on D/Dart site
I'll have to look in my records and see if I have any more names.

There's a thread in the Archives on the D/Darts.

Fella here in Yakima, his family use to own Yakima Dodge. He remembers having one at the dealereship. Another local here is suppose to own one. Come to find out through some investigation it's a 66 post car. They took over the counter parts to build a D/Dart motor for that car. Car ran for years at the local NW tracks

there was a topic on here a few years back on the D DART i believe,,still very kool cars,,,never seen one in real my self,,,50 built

Lots of good info! I bought some heads from some one around Wilmington, OH that is restoring one.

Not really related,
But kinda. LOL any one know were to find a a list of the dodge dealers that existed back in the 60's? My Chrysler research says that my dart was made in CA, and sold in Tujunga, CA at Steve Newton Inc. So one would assume the name of the dealership was Steve Newton Dodge. But not sure. I want to paint the dealer name on the car when it gets it's vintage race paint.

Lots of good info! I bought some heads from some one around Wilmington, OH that is restoring one.

Not really related,
But kinda. LOL any one know were to find a a list of the dodge dealers that existed back in the 60's? My Chrysler research says that my dart was made in CA, and sold in Tujunga, CA at Steve Newton Inc. So one would assume the name of the dealership was Steve Newton Dodge. But not sure. I want to paint the dealer name on the car when it gets it's vintage race paint.

Try this database --

http://maxwedge.com/dealerships/

-
Back