D4b or not to D4b

-

Cudabnu

(3) 64 Val Verts. /6 4spd, 273/904, 318/727
Reaction score
What are the gains on a 64/65 273 if I swap out to an edelbrock D4B?
Engine is rebuilt with correct 64/65 stock 4bbl intake. Paperwork said it has an "rv" cam.
Car is just going to be a cruiser on weekends and to shows.
20200822_115048.jpg

D4B is a nice gain in a Commando/Charger 273 engine, not sure what an RV cam would be like. You should be fine with the original intake. If everything is up to snuff, they are a quick little motor. What carb are you running?

Engine is rebuilt with correct 64/65 stock 4bbl intake. Paperwork said it has an "rv" cam.
View attachment 1715582467

It will come off the line stronger and get better MPG... The D4B will give more low end and mid range than the stock intake and will also have good high RPM pull...

That will run great on your engine...

Do it... :thumbsup:

I recommend using this carb gasket with the D4B intake...

It keeps the split plenum all the way to the carb for strong low end signal.... Plus it's 5/16" thick and will help insulate the carb from boiling the fuel/vapor lock... Comes with the studs and nuts also...

Edelbrock Heat Insulator Gasket

What intake gasket set should I look for?
What should I sell the cast iron intake for, I should have the stock carb for it too

Did you ever do the Intake manifold swap? Offer to buy was removed by staff
Thanks,
Scott

65 dart.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I put the D4B on and sold the stock intake.

Are you gonna tell us how it runs or you gonna make us guess? 'Member my cats knocked my crystal ball on the floor and broke it all to pieces. There just wasn't no savin it. lol

It runs, I have nothing to compare it to since I never ran the motor with the stock intake.
20200923_172843.jpg

Won't the heat riser passage just burn through?
If I use them on a manifold with a crossover I roll up some aluminum flashing into a log to fit into the crossover from one side to the other and put daub of epoxy over each end of it. Just to where it catches the end of the crossover before where it opens up at, and then cap it with a square of flashing. Then I fill it to the manifold flange with a mixture of epoxy and coarse steel wool, usually it's about 1/2 to 3/4 deep. After it fully cures, file it down and block sand it smooth. The right way would probably be to weld up the crossover at the flange but this method is more easily reversed if you decide you need exhaust heat in the manifold.

Last edited:
Black engine compartment ;-)
Every time somebody feeds me crap about it I wish I wish I had got a spray can of original paint color. Oh I am sure everybody would then say "What the Hell did you paint it that color for" LMAO

Every time somebody feeds me crap about it I wish I wish I had got a spray can of original paint color. Oh I am sure everybody would then say "What the Hell did you paint it that color for" LMAO

I like black engine bays. I don't care what anybody says.

-
Back