Dads 67 "S"capade

-
Thanks Mully, trying to pack too much work into not enough time LOL! We will get there, just gotta stay focused and organized....

Craig whacha been dune?? Get at it my man!!

A little progress made on Saturday, heads and intake, timing cover and water pump are on. We used "The right stuff" by permatex to hold the front and rear cork gaskets in place. I also noticed in one of our books that it says to make sure the rocker arm shaft notches are in the right place...pass side at the rear and facing down, drivers side facing front and down. Dad got 2 different balancers with the car, so we are figuring out which is which, so we will set the valve clearances once we figure the balancer out. Took pics of the cam plate as there are different versions of them out there, as well questions as to whether the top pass side bolt should have a hole in it for oil seepage. No hole in the bolt, so we drilled a hole in one, but it broke, so we put another bolt in without the hole and we are going with dbl roller, so no worries about a weakening chain. Oh ya got the Eddy 1405 carb from "badsport" as well. Engine is almost done, then paint it once Eastwoods brush on paint comes in. We also noticed that we are shy a 4bbl kickdown and throttle bracket, so if anyone has one for a 273 4bbl/727 combo it would be appreciated.

Thanks
4spdragtop and ragtops pop

Attachments

• DSCF6658 (Medium).jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 457
  • DSCF6662 (Medium).jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 420
  • DSCF6668 (Medium).jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 461
  • DSCF6678 (Medium).jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 426
  • DSCF6679 (Medium).jpg
    121 KB · Views: 438
Good work Steve!Must be nice to be workin with your Pops,hope he,s getting pointers to help you along with the ragtop.LOL:D

Thanks guys, slow go, but thats cuz its been a while since I tore into an engine. Hey PBD, when the time comes for mine he will be coming here to work on it! As much as I love working together with dad, the travelling back and forth is a pain in the arse!

Glad you got the carb. I didn't know if you emailed me or not, I'm sitting in my truck in Texas.

Hey Bruce, yep sent you an email, Dad and I are both happy!! Frickin freezing here, must be nice there. Thanks again!!

Yup, was talking with the wife and she said she hadn't checked it.

How's 90* sound, that's what it was when I hit Texas.

A little progress made on Saturday, heads and intake, timing cover and water pump are on. We used "The right stuff" by permatex to hold the front and rear cork gaskets in place. I also noticed in one of our books that it says to make sure the rocker arm shaft notches are in the right place...pass side at the rear and facing down, drivers side facing front and down. Dad got 2 different balancers with the car, so we are figuring out which is which, so we will set the valve clearances once we figure the balancer out. Took pics of the cam plate as there are different versions of them out there, as well questions as to whether the top pass side bolt should have a hole in it for oil seepage. No hole in the bolt, so we drilled a hole in one, but it broke, so we put another bolt in without the hole and we are going with dbl roller, so no worries about a weakening chain. Oh ya got the Eddy 1405 carb from "badsport" as well. Engine is almost done, then paint it once Eastwoods brush on paint comes in. We also noticed that we are shy a 4bbl kickdown and throttle bracket, so if anyone has one for a 273 4bbl/727 combo it would be appreciated.

Thanks

I really think you need to have that drilled bolt. That chain needs a source of oil to lube it.

I have seen a few threads where some have them and some dont, we put a dbl roller in, plus you can see where there are 2 holes on either side at the top of the cam gear. Im hoping some will drip out there...

The bolt on the right side should have a hole drilled through. Oil in the valley will never fill and flow out those holes above the cam sproket. In fact you can often find a spoon full of engine wear just below the drilled bolt on the inner side. Later model builds have a drip leg like piece hanging there also.
Some engine builders will install the temsion idler from a late model V6 too. Anything that will provide more oil to that chain is a good thing.
The very most important part is prelube. I cut the side from a antifreeze jug, put the chain in with 90W gear oil and snake it all about with my finger, let it soak, whatever it takes to fill its voids with oil. Yes its going to drip and be a little messy for the rest of the build. Deal with it :)

Been a while since I posted here, but we have made some progress!! Red, we did install the proper bolt with the hole in the middle.The valve train geometry issues have been solved...my stupidity, I guess I still got lots to learn. Got the rockers from great member "sprecks", and put them on. Once the engine was bolted back together we degreased it and brush painted it with Eastwoods High temp Ceramic paint. We mixed the 4:1 Eastwoods activator with it. If I was to do it again, I would have gotten their thinner as well. The paint sets up quick.
We were shy the bolts for the flex-plate to crank bolts, but I had some at home and Nick ran them out to us. We used an engine leveler to help drop in, but it was still a bugger to get in their, but its in! Next time I would remove the hood to gain a little more room. Still lots of bolts to button it up, but its in the hole! You will see some pics of the elec dizzy and the stock dual point, I started a new thread with questions, chime in if you can and thanks fer lookin'!!

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=186288

Attachments

• DSCF6821 (Medium).jpg
    122 KB · Views: 391
  • DSCF6818 (Medium).jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 385
  • DSCF6831 (Medium).jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 384
  • DSCF6829 (Medium).jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 376
  • DSCF6815 (Medium).jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 390
  • DSCF6813 (Medium).jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 402
Man is that ever gonna look good when you get it buttoned up.

Be sure and make yourself a checklist when you get ready to fire it. Go over it twice start once, LOL.

Well we are getting there...engine is painted and in. Eddy 1405 we bought from "badsport" is on with Eddy adpater 1481, dizzy is set, plug wires on, fan, rad, alt, exhaust manifolds sand blasted and POR treatment...engine bay is almost done. Dad went and got a new ws washer reservoir and pump, so we will get that installed soon. Picked up vacuum hoses, heater hoses and fuel line. I think the heater hoses might be an issue as this is an a/c car and we didnt want to hook the a/c up yet(dying to hear it run) but we may need to. While under the dash hooking up the speedo I noticed the wiper linkage isnt hooked to the wiper motor. I think pieces are missing...gotta work on that. It goes in Wednesday for exhaust. I work midnights next week, but am hoping to see the car on the hoist to take pics so y'all can see how clean this car is underneath. Thats my oldest boy Garrett in the drivers seat.....Dreaming!! LOL

Attachments

• DSCF6896 (Medium).jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 352
  • DSCF6919 (Medium).jpg
    89 KB · Views: 370
  • DSCF6901 (Medium).jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 346
  • DSCF6899 (Medium).jpg
    62 KB · Views: 362
  • DSCF6903 (Medium).jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 374
  • DSCF6921 (Medium).jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 373
I think that wiper assy takes a big clip to attach it.
No biggie, they are around.

There should be a spring under the white eccentric on the back of the motor (as pictured). The clip that attaches the wiper transmission to the arm is the same clip as the other attaching points.

Man is that ever gonna look good when you get it buttoned up.

Be sure and make yourself a checklist when you get ready to fire it. Go over it twice start once, LOL.

Thanks Bruce, I have been getting Dad to make lists....lotsa them LOL

That spring is in there John for the wiper motor, I seen it in there....wavy washer and clip is MIA though, not sure if bushing is broken yet or not...goofy lookin thing LOL

Looking good Steve. Hey my 4 year old sits in my 71 Swinger after school when he gets home. I hope the interest continues.

Thanks Wally, im sure with the nice lookin wheelz you got that the interest will always be there!!
PS
Dont forget the manis tomorrow

Dropped by dads today and got the car to the shop for the exhuast install. Im working midnites, so I didnt get a chance to hang around and see it completed. It was dads first time actually seeing the complete underside of his car...Kuh Kuh Kleen to say the least!!

Attachments

• DSCF6959 (Medium).jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 331
  • DSCF6954 (Medium).jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 315
  • DSCF6953 (Medium).jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 322
  • DSCF6948 (Medium).jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 305
  • DSCF6947 (Medium).jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 323
  • DSCF6945 (Medium).jpg