Dads 67 "S"capade

Members Restorations

1. 4spdragtop

4spdragtop CONGRATS NORTH AMERICA! FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    5:41 AM
    Thanks Craig, hopefully done before I go...I wanna go for a rip in it:burnout:

Thanks Wally, google Wards Classic Car Radio, they are out of Alabama. They were awesome, polished the lens, changed a few chrome buttons, n/c. Might sound pricey at $299 but that included shipping and adding the aux jack. Also its am/fm...an am would be cheaper.

2. Sprecks

Sprecks Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    The old fish is looking good. Nice upgrades you guys are doing.

3. 4spdragtop

Local Time:
    Thanks Jay all the credit goes to you and Jim! It is pretty easy really to convince Dad to get done what we have been doing. Should have some more pics this weekend.

4. 4spdragtop

Local Time:
    Ooooh where to begin??? I spent the better part of 10 hours on my back under the dash. We got the tach wired up, radio hooked up and vacuum line for the a/c switch hooked up. Bezel was in, it just needed to be screwed to the dash, I went to hook up the speaker wire from the radio to the speaker, but couldnt get the wire from the radio loose...Im like wtf??? When we mounted the radio to the dash frame the frickin speaker wires from the radio got wedged between the radio and frame....we didnt notice and snugged up the mount nuts...So now the bezel has to come out partway, then the radio mount nuts off and pull the radio out partway... then wrestled with the wire for 10 minutes to get it out.
    New LED's I installed most of them wont light up. I should have bench tested the dash before installling. I have got about 1/2 of them working. But signals inside dont work, and ones around speedo dont work either. Signals outside and 4ways work, as do brake lights and headlights.
    Radio installed, but I think the antenna is pooched, we had Wards install an aux jack, so we plugged in the Ipod and it works. So why no radio?? Might be the antenna.
    Tach works!
    I am not the most patient guy, but it was beyond ridiculous trying to change the LED's from under the dash...I could reach4 or 5 but not all....any ideas??

Legendary door panel installed on pass side, but the tool to "split" the masonite is ridiculous!!

Im sooo ready for a left-handed cigarette right now!! LOL

5. 4spdragtop

Local Time:
    Here's pics of the Legendary panels, quality is top notch, only beef I have is the tool they give you to "slice" the masonite for the clips. Dad pitched it and sacrificed a screwdriver, worked much better. Dad had to punch the holes in the masonite for the alum trim piece as well. A little tedious making sure they all lined up, but well worth it.

Attached Files:

6. ColoMopar

ColoMopar Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    4:41 AM
    Okay, that's it! I want it back! There must be some kind of 1 year and a month small print exception somewhere. I'm looking! :-D

Nice job Steve, I think your dad should be very happy for years to come. Thanks for the pics, they're likely all we'll get a chance to see anymore.

7. 4spdragtop

Local Time:
    Thanks Jim, most if not all the credit goes to you and Jay. It seems like we have done a lot to Dads ride, but I think thats just because we didnt do it right the 1st or 2nd time LOL. Its finally getting to where both Dad and I want it to be.
    I spoke to Dad a couple days ago and thanks to Tony Fileds Dad replaced one of the dome lights. That was quite a chore as Dad had to take some of the steel rear interior panels off to replace it properly. Dad is taking it into a shop this week to get the valves set and then it is pretty much done.
    Dad may offer to sell it back to you but then we would have to get him another project and Im not sure he has the patience for that!! LOL We still have mine to finish up too yet!!

Thanks
    4spdragtop

8. 4spdragtop

Local Time:
    Hi all, so after more than a year of me living in Sask and Dads passing away in Feb, I finally landed a job in Ontario and purchased Dads cuda from the Estate. I was able to get the cuda out of storage last week, and although very excited, it's a very bittersweet feeling. As much as I love the car and couldnt wait to get home(for several reasons) it's just not the same as before.
    It fired right up when I picked it up. But had a noisy lifter. Dad had put an aftermarket antenna on it as something was wrong with the orig one. I took the aftermarket antenna out and will try to solve the antenna issue. As well I adjusted the valves and #8 exhaust was WAY loose. I double checked all the valves and all seems good now.
    Factory tach is reading way high! It had me worried, I thought the torque converter or tranny was on the way out. Sucks cuz Dad spent good $$ on it and although it works. Its way off. The bitch of it is removing it. That will have to wait until fall when I get it ready for storage.

Over the last year I have learned more on fabo about timing and tuning carbs(somewhat LOL). So Im still trying to get the timing and carb tuned. The vac advance on the dizzy hits the coil when I try to advance it to approx 18-20* so I pulled the dizzy and removed the gear and rotated it clockwise 1 tooth(or so I thought). and put dizzy back in. Well the slot on the dizzy doesnt match exactly to where the rotor points, so Im still at the same spot where I was. Over the next couple of days I will have a "do-over" with that.
    I would like to get as much performance out of it as possible.

The "wish list" includes an LD4B for it, but Im not in any hurry. For now, its just to enjoy it.
    Sorry no updated pics, I will get some soon.

Thanks
    Steve

9. 4spdragtop

Local Time:
    Better part of 2 years since I added to this thread. Ive done lots of little things to it every years and driven it every summer without fail. But either $$ is short, or time is short as Im always relocated due to work, so upgrades have been few and far between. Currently only home on weekends.
    Only failure its had was a failed thermostat on the 401 last year. Thats my fault, I should have made sure the thermostat had the jiggle valve when Dad n I installed it in 2012, but it didnt.
    I planned to do quite a bit of small stuff thru the winter but didnt get a heck of a lot done. I brought it home from storage 2 weekends ago and realized how much stuff I took off it to upgrade over the winter but didnt.
    I was able to give the console a bit of a makeover. Freshened the paint and re-striped the top plates. Console body was in good shape but had a few scrub marks, so I used black liquid shoe polish (thanks to 2Darts idea) and it helped "lessen" the scars. I applied it to entire console and let it sit 5 minutes before wiping. Turned out pretty good I think. Scars are still there but not as noticeable.
    The one piece of console carpet on the drivers side seemed to come off once a year, so I decided to use the velcro idea I read here on fabo. Seems to work well and fitment is still good.

Right now polishing the tail light lenses and signal lenses.
    Its gotta get a stereo in it this year too. Wasted $$ on getting the factory am/fm working. Still only a 2 watt wonder...lol

Thanks for looking,
    Cheers
    Steve

20160514_140616 (Medium).jpg

20160514_141419 (Medium).jpg

20160514_200913 (Medium).jpg

20160514_200933 (Medium).jpg

20160514_200508 (Medium).jpg

20160514_200523 (Medium).jpg

20160514_200550 (Medium).jpg

20160514_200555 (Medium).jpg

20160514_201410 (Medium).jpg

10. ColoMopar

ColoMopar Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    4:41 AM
    Looks great Steve, glad to see you're back at it. Also good to hear from you, hoping all is well

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • 4spdragtop

Local Time:
      Hey Jim! Thanks! Good to see you post. Im trying to take as good care of her as well as you did.
      Sweetheart has been rock solid dependable and fun.
      A few other upgrades to post Ive done once I get pics organized lol.
      Hows your cuda coming along?

• 4spdragtop

Local Time:
      So I figured while I had tail lights out I would polish the lenses as well as front signals. They turned out good, I'll post pics later. Reason I posted is one of the tail lens screw/mount hole was broke. I had some JB Weld 2 part epoxy kicking around I picked up from Princess Auto. I wrapped the screw in pipe tape and threaded in to what was left of thread so the epoxy didnt stick to screw.
      Applied epoxy let sit overnight and backed out screw by hand. Worked great.

20160515_145036.jpg

20160515_145151.jpg

20160515_150205.jpg

20160515_150218.jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
      By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.