Dad's Charger

-

ChargedDart75

Reaction score
Well, I haven't been super active here in a bit (life's been busy, we're expecting our first kid, you name it!), but I finally got Dad's Charger running again. After he passed, I just lost all interest in messing with the cars. It just didn't feel the same, and any time I'd think about it I would get pretty down. I was sort of forced to get it running due to my mother selling her Camaro, and now I feel motivated to get it road worthy again. I want to continue making memories with all of them. Little by little, I'll get it right. I know it's not an A body, but this is the best Mopar community, so I wanted to share here. And yes, it is a big block!

20220917_134726.jpg

Well, I haven't been super active here in a bit (life's been busy, we're expecting our first kid, you name it!), but I finally got Dad's Charger running again. After he passed, I just lost all interest in messing with the cars. It just didn't feel the same, and any time I'd think about it I would get pretty down. I was sort of forced to get it running due to my mother selling her Camaro, and now I feel motivated to get it road worthy again. I want to continue making memories with all of them. Little by little, I'll get it right. I know it's not an A body, but this is the best Mopar community, so I wanted to share here. And yes, it is a big block!

View attachment 1715993894
You have no idea how close your story hits home right now. Just you sharing what you just did encourages me more than you know. The folks on FABO and FBBO have been great at keeping my mind in a good place the last few weeks. And most of them don't even know it. Way to press on with the right attitude man!

You have no idea how close your story hits home right now. Just you sharing what you just did encourages me more than you know. The folks on FABO and FBBO have been great at keeping my mind in a good place the last few weeks. And most of them don't even know it. Way to press on with the right attitude man!
That is awesome to hear, and thank you! It took a couple of years but I feel motivated again and I want to finish it up. I still miss him a lot though, that part probably won't ever change.

View attachment 1715993894
When my father passed in the middle of 2020 I too lost all my motivation for the cars, he was my motivation, he would call me multiple times a day and tell me what he was doing on the Belvedere I got for him to race or he would keep me going on my Barracuda as he liked to compare race weekend stories as we lived across the country from each other. I finally had to kick my self in the rear towards the end of 2020 and got the Barracuda back out to the track only to tear a tendon in my arm rolling the window up while being strapped in, lol, weird deal. I think the hardest part for me was he kept me focused and motivated with the cars and once they pass you soon come to the realization that your phone will never ring again with Dad's cell showing up on it. Take care and I know what your going through and your Dad is looking down smiling seeing you work on his old car.

When my father passed in the middle of 2020 I too lost all my motivation for the cars, he was my motivation, he would call me multiple times a day and tell me what he was doing on the Belvedere I got for him to race or he would keep me going on my Barracuda as he liked to compare race weekend stories as we lived across the country from each other. I finally had to kick my self in the rear towards the end of 2020 and got the Barracuda back out to the track only to tear a tendon in my arm rolling the window up while being strapped in, lol, weird deal. I think the hardest part for me was he kept me focused and motivated with the cars and once they pass you soon come to the realization that your phone will never ring again with Dad's cell showing up on it. Take care and I know what your going through and your Dad is looking down smiling seeing you work on his old car.
Thank you, I really appreciate it. I want to have this one on the road again soon, and I want to fulfill his wishes for the Dart too. It will take time, but I will complete it as well as my truck we were building.

Thank you, I really appreciate it. I want to have this one on the road again soon, and I want to fulfill his wishes for the Dart too. It will take time, but I will complete it as well as my truck we were building.
Sounds awesome, what year Dart? Just take your time and do what you can considering you have other obligations in life too and eventually it will all come togethor.....I think when you start driving the Charger again that will be good for you as other people that see it will express their appreciation for it too and you can share stories with them about your Dad. I like the Blue color on it too.

Sounds awesome, what year Dart? Just take your time and do what you can considering you have other obligations in life too and eventually it will all come togethor.....I think when you start driving the Charger again that will be good for you as other people that see it will express their appreciation for it too and you can share stories with them about your Dad. I like the Blue color on it too.
It is a 1970. My avatar is it while we were painting it.

I love the 71-74 cars. They don't get enough respect, IMO.

Just a small update: I got it in the shop and of course got a flat. Walked around the front and heard the right front hissing, my kinda luck. I fixed the starter relay that crapped out and found some issues with the wiring, possibly from mice. I smelled antifreeze leaking from somewhere, so I need to find that and fix it, I have a known trans fluid leak to fix, I have a new fan to put on it and I have some cleaning to do on the interior. I plan on washing it when the leaks are fixed, so that's why it looks like crap. It was nice to actually drive it again, but I'm pretty sure I have fouled plugs or the carb is gummed up some (leaning towards this). I may move further updates to a new thread, but we will see.

charger.jpg

One step at a time. When you think of ALL the things needing attention seems overwhelming (I know) .. Take one at a time and don't be afraid to stop and walk away sometime. It's a Mopar, A or B we all enjoy updates, wish I had updated mine as it progressed.

One step at a time. When you think of ALL the things needing attention seems overwhelming (I know) .. Take one at a time and don't be afraid to stop and walk away sometime. It's a Mopar, A or B we all enjoy updates, wish I had updated mine as it progressed.
Absolutely. I feel motivated, but not pushed to fix it all immediately. The weather is fixing to turn off cold and stay that way, so I won't really be in a hurry to drive it. I would like to have it ready for spring to enjoy though.

Memories is what its all about. That car is as much a part of you as your dad. And now you have a little one coming it can be the same w them. Its okay to lose motivation especially when something like that happens. But i can tell you your dad will always b with you and you can be dam sure hes proud of you

Memories is what its all about. That car is as much a part of you as your dad. And now you have a little one coming it can be the same w them. Its okay to lose motivation especially when something like that happens. But i can tell you your dad will always b with you and you can be dam sure hes proud of you
Thank you. Sometimes I hear him in my head say "what are you doing?" Lol

-
Back