Daily driver suggestions.

-

Michael Hurst

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm working on upgrading my 1970 valiant to be a more comfortable daily driver. (Slant 6 225 with only 12000 original miles)
To that end i'm looking for specific suggestions around the ignition and carburetor.

I'm thinking upgading to electronic ignition, and possibly to a throttle body. With the goal of improving gas millage and throttle response.

Does anyone have specific model numbers they could suggest?
Thanks
Mike

The best milage and pep I have had with a slant was a '68. Set it up with a pre-CAP timing curve and intial timing. Adjust the carb best you can and your good to go. It will probably still be a little lean at idle but should be OK.
If you put on enough miles each year and hate checking and adjusting the points, that would be the only real advantage of changing ignition.

For a daily driver, the fuel line model is a must
(It routes the fuel line to the carb differently then stock, avoiding the jump across the exhaust manifold)

I dont know if this would affect an efi setup, there are a few options out there now, but none I have experience with

Also, if your "refresh" means the head is coming off, have it shaved 0.100 or so, to get a bump in compression

-
Back