Damn...can I just BUY a better transmission for the money than having mine built?

-

MRGTX

Reaction score
My 904 is in the back of my Cherokee right now, about to be hauled up to the transmission shop. I was just reviewing the previous thread where this forum gave some great advice on what to ask for when talking to the shop...and went off to order up some more parts. While I was pricing out torque converters, I stopped by to see what my money would get me for an off the shelf 904 and I found that Summit has a few offerings, including one from Performance Automatic that seems to contain all of the components that you guys suggested plus a deep sump pan...for a bit less than what the local shop guessed that the rebuild would cost.

Plus, the shop made the price estimate contingent on the condition of my transmission coming into the shop...and I have no idea what they might find in there.

Has anyone weighed these options before? What did you do?

Is this unit lacking for anything that the local shop would be able to do for me?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pma-pa12102/overview/make/dodge

Do you have a basic set of hand tools including Snap ring pliars, torque wrench, and feeler gauges? If so do it yourself. Lots of kits out there. Also another member has a great detailed step by step video for a 727 not sure how close that is for a 904 ive heard there very similar. The Shift kit also has very detailed instructions. Get a kit with bands. If you are not confortable with that I say go local. If there were any problems with that "off the shelf" it may be more trouble then its worth trying to get it shipped back.

what i suggest... find a mentor
ask around at your shops that you frequent (machine shop, mechanic friends, etc.)

see if any of them know a "transmission guy"

maybe someone who has retired or whatever. most of them would love teachin you how to build trannies.

Thanks, guys.
I have considered rebuilding it myself but due to restraints of time, workspace, other priorities (I am a new home owner with projects coming out of my ears! :( ) ...and of a course a lack of experience, I have decided to write the check this time. I'd like to actually drive the car sometime this decade. :)

Any thoughts on that unit that Summit sells?
-Mike

Perhaps I am a little on the lazy side, but you can get a 904 from TCI for between 950 - 1200 bucks with a waranty. They are rated for 300 -450 hp. That is the price through Mancini.

To answer your question,I'm sure the mail order tranny will be just fine. The biggest draw back would be the cost for shipping.All in all it may come out to cost more than getting yours rebuilt. Just how bad was yours acting ?Did you keep driving till it no longer moved or did you pull it before things ground to a halt? It takes alot to do major damage to a automatic. Just a thought..

Perhaps I am a little on the lazy side, but you can get a 904 from TCI for between 950 - 1200 bucks with a waranty. They are rated for 300 -450 hp. That is the price through Mancini.

If you get one that works for more than a week.

I just got my 904 from John Cope. Cope racing transmissions, good to 500hp. $1,100.00
He's in Cedar Lake Indiana but he knows the mopars!

The thing that I would like to see in the trans from summit is a hardened sprag. I would call their tech line and ask if it has one. If so go for it. If not go local.

To answer your question,I'm sure the mail order tranny will be just fine. The biggest draw back would be the cost for shipping.All in all it may come out to cost more than getting yours rebuilt. Just how bad was yours acting ?Did you keep driving till it no longer moved or did you pull it before things ground to a halt? It takes alot to do major damage to a automatic. Just a thought..

The transmission started slipping a bit when I stopped driving it...but it was still drivable. When I drained the fluid, it was still transparent and red, no burnt smell...which I assume is a good sign.

Thanks for all the input, guys.
I just called and the shop confirmed that there would be no charge to look the transmission over...so I guess my decision will hinge on that. I'll give them a shot first. Worst case scenario, I'll just buy one.

So TCI transmission should be avoided? Which companies have a good reputation?

pyrojim, 500hp 904s are listed at $1550 on the web page...was yours a special deal?
https://www.coperacingtrans.com/pro...id=38&osCsid=9f3c738324cffeef3198eba369a4390a

...No, I did the super street. John told me it was good to 500 hp. I figure I'm between 425 abd 450 so I went that way. The other nice thing about Cope, is the warranty starts when you start the car, not when you pick up the trans

That's a pretty good deal.
Does yours have the hardened sprag like harleydartguy mentioned?

Have you gotten to take it for a ride yet? How does it drive?

also agree on a Cope built trans. that guy does them each like it's for his own car. he's been doing them forever, knows everything there is to know about mopar auto trannies

That's a pretty good deal.
Does yours have the hardened sprag like harleydartguy mentioned?

Have you gotten to take it for a ride yet? How does it drive?

Not yet but I'm getting anxious. I'm hoping to start it tomorrow.
I live about thirty minutes from Cope and have spent some time chatting with him. I'm no expert but I think he's the right guy. He and the Motor guy (Jim Hamilton) spoke on the phone several times matching things up to what I wanted. As far as the hardened sprag? Hell, I don't even know what a sprag is. All I told Cope was it's a 10:1 pump gas for the street around 450 HP. I want to do burnouts and look good! That was the extent of my criteria.

I'm proud to say "I'm smart enough to know I'm not smart enough"!!!

Attachments

• 2013-01-30_09-26-43_408.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 229
I just got my 904 from John Cope. Cope racing transmissions, good to 500hp. $1,100.00
He's in Cedar Lake Indiana but he knows the mopars!

Hey Pyrojim, you ought to look into an alum 90* oil filter adapter to get the filter away from the headers.

I LOL at Cope. I called wanting my 904 built to take the 500+ HP stroker. I wanted to retain the automatic shifting with the kickdown, and also be able to manual shift it up and down with full control in 1 and 2. He basically hung up on me. This was strange cause the tranny was doing all that but was slipping when I would shift (manual or auto) from 2-3.

The boys at PTC have my 904 ready and I will find out Friday how much a rebuild with goodies costs. Also have a converter made to match the combo. Ole Kenny at PTC is a hard core Mopar man and he races 6.0 at our track in his 69 BB Valiant. He got a kick out of Cope hanging up on me.

Hey Pyrojim, you ought to look into an alum 90* oil filter adapter to get the filter away from the headers.

I LOL at Cope. I called wanting my 904 built to take the 500+ HP stroker. I wanted to retain the automatic shifting with the kickdown, and also be able to manual shift it up and down with full control in 1 and 2. He basically hung up on me. This was strange cause the tranny was doing all that but was slipping when I would shift (manual or auto) from 2-3.

The boys at PTC have my 904 ready and I will find out Friday how much a rebuild with goodies costs. Also have a converter made to match the combo. Ole Kenny at PTC is a hard core Mopar man and he races 6.0 at our track in his 69 BB Valiant. He got a kick out of Cope hanging up on me.

Yeah, Like I said, I'm smart enough to know I'm not smart enough.

"Hey Pyrojim, you ought to look into an alum 90* oil filter adapter to get the filter away from the headers".

I know. I should have mocked it up before I pulled the motor, but I didn't. Wanted to get the motor in so I knew what clearance I had, but that is on the agenda!!! I kinda got thrown into this, (bought a lemon) and it's kicking my ***.

Attachments

• 2012-07-21_13-20-41_951.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 219
Hardened sprag? A 904 doesn't need a bolt in sprag as it's riveted to the case. 904's also don't explode like the 727 do. 727's can benefit from a bolt in sprag.

I'd rather have the filter on as in the stand pic than to deal with a 90* adapter and the leaks they start to sprout. I never use a 90* adapter unless it's absolutely necessary, which with most headers today is not. The heat reasoning is overstated AND those 90* adapters are restrictive.

A stock rebuild 904 with good bands/clutches can handle a lot of abuse.

If you must buy a trans rebuilt, find someone that you are comfortable with. I'd stay away from tci. As mentioned, ask local about who is good with trans rebuilds and especially ask mopar racers. Shipping on these units gets expensive!

Thanks, guys.
I have considered rebuilding it myself but due to restraints of time, workspace, other priorities (I am a new home owner with projects coming out of my ears! :(

I've built a transmission in my kitchen. It can be done.

Shipping on these units gets expensive!

That is my thought. You might save some from a far away supplier "the first time around," but what happens in the case of a warrantee? If you have to ship "it" a second time round trip, the savings might be gone.

-
Back