Damn the bad luck

-

SGBARRACUDA

ROY
Legendary Member
Reaction score
I finally got arround to setting the engine/trans back in my 69 Dart and I was test fitting some nice headers I picked up about 1 yr ago ,they are new CPPA headers I picked up but the guy wasn't sure what they fit. Well I left the 4 exhaust studs in the heads on the outer ends. I dicovered they were in the way of getting the headers in so I removed 2 of them and then when I went to remove the drivers rear, it broke off flush with the head! After looking at the end I could tell it was rusty half way across. So now out comes the motor so I can drill, tap, cuss, drill, cuss, etc. I'm going to try and drill it and hopefully use a tap to push whats left of the stud in. Or I may have to Heli coil it. My question to my FABO wizzards, Is there a new or better way to remove the broken off stud?

try a reverse drill bit first. sometimes as theyre drilling they get a bite and the stud comes out. others have centered a nut one size smaller inside than the stud and welded in the center of the nut to the stud and unscrewed them while its still warm.

would an easyout work? might be a dumb question. i know how those bolts/studs get rusted in there. im just gonna pay the guy at the machine shop to take the one out that i broke off while i have everything there anyway..

they are a real beach if the ez out breaks off.welding a nut on from the inside the nut is safest cause if it twists off again no foul

Don't use an easy out! But then you knew that, didn't you? I agree with daredevil regarding the reverse drill bits. I've had success on other projects with them. The best way I've found to use them is to drill a small (1/8) pilot hole centered with a regular bit, then go up 2 or 3 sizes with the reverse bit. It will usually back the broken off bolt quite easily.
Good luck with it,
C

I like the welded nut trick, I may try that. The left hand bit, I don't know, the other studs I took out were pretty set in there. But I may buy one anyway. I'll have to pull the motor/trans out on Friday and go to work on it. If I get lucky and drill in the center with a 1/4" or 9/ 32" bit I may be able to use a 5/16-18 tap and push the old part of the stud inside. Then I can knock out the freeze plug out in the end of the head and remove the pieces.Thanks for all the help

Hopefully it will screw right out for ya!!
Man that is bad to have to deal with.disgust
But it can be taken out.:thumleft:

Sorry to here this for you SGBARRACUDA.

The left handed bits do work real well. I used to be a forklift mechanic and nothing gets frozen in like bolts on forklifts, especially ones that run outside. I've had my left handed bits back several bolts out on them. By far the best $30 I ever spent. I've found the way clhyer said to do it works the best.

BTW: Don't helicoil it. It'll leak like a sieve. One of my heads had the threads stripped when I got my car and I tried a helicoil and nothing would seal it up. I finally took a 3/8" stud to a buddies and used his lathe to turn down one end then tapped 5/16" threads on it. Worked like a champ.

speakin of which i gotta tap a both hole on my spare 360 heads. darn maniofold bolt started to strip the dang thing.

Wahoo!! It's done. I used some cobalt bits up to the last size of 17/64. Then I ran a tap thru it and cleaned the remaining parts of the stud with that. The key to being succesful with this procedure is take the time to center punch the broken part of the bolt IN THE DEAD CENTER OF IT. Worked like a champ.

Great Job. I'm glad you got it out. I had one like that but wasn't so lucky. I ended up tapping it out to 3/8. Just used a 3/8 header bolt in that corner.

Well dun!! Glad you punched it and it is behind you know.
round 1 tko.:boxing: :cheers:

Well dun!! Glad you punched it and it is behind you know.
round 1 tko.:boxing: :cheers:

Your right, now on to round two. I bought some NOS cppa headers, nice with 3/8 flanges. But I needed to make sure they would fit with my P/S. They are tight but fit. Now I'm going to have them jet coated. Thanks for all the moral support. FABO members are the best.

-
Back