Damsel in distress

-

Mollysmom64

Reaction score
Hi all... I'm the proud owner of Molly... My 64 Valiant. I've recently changed her ignition switch, bulbs, fuses, all the electrical wiring (thanks to being parked on a farm for most of her life), relay switch and got her a pretty hula girl... Along with of course oil and filter...

Took her on a outing and she was running like a champ until a loud bang in her engine and then she died and wouldn't start again... Popped hood and 1 spark cover was off and oil was gone (which I had just checked before I left).

Needless to say poor Molly sits in my driveway and won't turn over. Along with I changed everything except her old spark plugs because I'm retarded.
So...
Will getting her new plugs fix her?
Head gasket?
Need engine rebuilt?
Help!!!! Please and thank you

Attachments

• IMAG0950.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 1,115
  • IMAG0991.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 1,100
HI mollysmom

Before anything else, I would try to figure out where the oil went
Is it under molly?
In her coolant?
Out the exhaust?

Once we know that...we can pin it down

What engine is in her?

And on a side note...my Ginger is a redhead too ;)

Is all of the oil gone? If so, sounds like some major engine failure. Maybe get under it and see if there is a hole in the oil pan.

Looks like a decent car, nice to have another Valiant here. Hope you get it figured out, lots of helpful folks here...welcome to FABO :glasses7:

Here is a thought, you replaced the oil and filter?
I would check to see if the drainplug and filter are still there

You wouldn't be the first to forget to tighten one of those up

Welcome aboard Molly, great picture! Love it.

The oil drain plug is the best, first and most simple place to start. Then as said, look at the oil pan, all around it as well as the engine block and take note to see if there is a hole in the oil pan or block.

By way of your description, this does not sound good at all. Crossingmy fingers for you!

By the way, what enginedo you have in the car?

Ship me the car. If I ever get it fixed I'll ship it back, LOL

^^As above, look underneath, any sign? of a bad leak?

What is the "spark cover" to which you refer?

I hope it's nothing major, but sounds like it could be if the oil is gone, unless it just hadn't had time to drain back down yet when you checked it.

You all are wonderful. Molly's girlie parts (engine) is a 170ci- 2.8 slant 6. Oil was all over the passenger lowerside wall and on ground. No where else. Drain plug good, no holes in block or pan... I think that answers all of your questions ;)

And btw a big thank you for all of the diy stuff in here. I could barley are up my tires and a guy made me mad at a auto shop because I'm a woman so I researched and learned how to do all of the repairs thus far on here. I'm pretty sure it's the head gasket based on what I've read so I'll probably just have the whole engine done if that's the case since it will all have to be taken apart for a $26 part lol. But I want to make sure since I'm a woman and obviously incapable (not) of knowing cars

Attachments

• IMAG0998.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 1,055
  • IMAG0997.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 1,072
It doesn't look like the oil sender is connected. That is the device almost directly below the rear spark plug down low on the block. I hope it didn't run out of oil and yo weren't aware.

Only thing I know to suggest is to but some of the cheapest oil you can find, and run it if it will start, look for the leak.

Any ideas on why the plug wire is off?

Since you checked the oil already. Next I would try and turn the engine over by hand.
(Socket on front of crankshaft) and see if it will turn over a full revolution.
Check oil filter seal. Sometimes the old one can stick and get over looked.
Hope the noise you heard wasn't metal to metal and just the oil filter seal
popped from being doubled up?

Don't be surprised if you don't have a Crank bolt to turn the engine over. My 75 225 didn't have one and I thought maybe someone had it apart and forgot but I was told some don't have it.

Welcome aboard! Everyone is giving you good advice so I'll keep my mouth shut.
Hope the damage is minimal and an easy fix to keep you rolling!

Seems to me this is the perfect excuse to get molly some DD implants
(And by that I mean a v8 )

Looks to me like the oil sender is leaking. It is wet all around it and it seems to be the epicenter.

does not explain the loud bang. I have a feeling it wont be good..

even if it threw a rod it should still turn, I have had a slant make a window on cylinder number 5 and I was able to remove the obstructions and drive it some more.

we need pics of under the oil pan and the other side of the engine.

the engine pics so far don't show anything other than a leaky valve cover which is totally typical on those.

Check oil filter seal. Sometimes the old one can stick and get over looked.

I nearly suggested this. I would certainly pull the filter off and examine. If you can, "get under" beforehand and see if you determine if the filter is the source of the leak, because, obviously once you loosen it, the thing WILL leak LOL

IF the cylinder head had to come off, the job is a pain in the back side but very much so do-able in your driveway. You'll need a torque wrench to reassemble everything. The head is heavy, FWIW.

The head immediately under the valve cover doesn't look as wet as the rest underneath to me. Hard to tell without being there. The oil sender looks WET though.

-
Back