Dana 60 SVL vrs Dana Spicer gear set

-

VF Coupe

EFI DART
Reaction score
Who's racing their Dana 60 driven by SVL ( economy gearset )
vrs Dana 60 Spicer premium style gear sets......!

Any noise, breakages or issues between them ?

I am looking at an SVL gear set for a 68' Dart 440 transbraked car 99% street driven.

The Spicer is twice the price or (spicier priced) lol

Are they worth the extra cost

And i can also buy a OEM set for triple the price, probably best out of the three ....

I prefer not to go Richmond as they are probably to hard and will become noisy after break in.

Not sure if the SVL is made by Motive but my Motive Dana gears were noisy. Its a common complaint.

I'd call up Dr Diff and do what he recommends. He'll tell you straight up whether the SVL gears are worth a ****.

I'd call up Dr Diff and do what he recommends. He'll tell you straight up whether the SVL gears are worth a ****.
He sold me the Motive gears so I dunno about that. If I buy another set I will go with a well known brand and not the low cost offshore stuff (although I suspect its all made offshore now and you get what you pay for)

I carry almost every supplier of Dana 60 gears including Richmond, SVL, Motive, Hoosier and OEM Spicer. Because the strength difference is negligible, any brand will work for a race car or pickup. I recommend OEM Spicer (USA/Mexico) for a quiet passenger car application. See below:
Dana 60 Ring and Pinion

I can tell you that a factory OEM Dana 60 gearset is far better than anything you can buy new. I have absolutely no issues using a used OEM Dana gear set and have used gear sets in all of my Dana 60 equipped street and race cars. I have a friend who use a 4.56 out of late 50's early 60's truck (10-spline) in his 8.50/ 155 mph 1/4 mile race car for almost 30 year before the gear finally broke a few teeth. Best part is you can buy a used set from $50-$100 most everywhere.

Tom

As Dr.Diff said nothing beats a spicer gear. Svl's were made in India, maybe that changed ( I have been out of the business for almost 3 years now). I did install a set of svl 4.56 in a friend's car that runs high 11's but is only track driven and hasn't had a problem in 2 years.

Thankyou all yes you cannot beat genuine ground gear-sets ...........also Cass@Doc diff has run out of D60 / 3.23 gear sets till 2023 lucky i grabbed a set in 2020

IMG_5958.JPG

IMG_5959.JPG

IMG_6010.JPG

DSCN6862.JPG

DSCN6876.JPG

IMG_7151.JPG

don't want to be a bearer of bad news but your Dana gear pattern on the coast side shown in the photo looks to be way off , hope you corrected it before running that gear ,drive and coast pattern should be more like these shown on these 8-3/4 diffs i've done recently.

100_3949.JPG

100_3875.JPG

-
Back