Dart Drag Car Dash & Wiring Makeover

-

hemicbx

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Thought I'd share my latest project. I have a 70 Dart drag car which I felt needed a rewiring. The car was totally functional as it was, but ton's of wires in all directions up under the dash, lots of the same color, color changes within a run, you know, the kind of stuff that happens over years of being a race car and needing changes along the way.

I don't have many good pics of the system beforehand, but in this one you can see the original dash in the car:

That came out and we test fitted, cut, test fitted, cut one of the Jegs aluminum Dash Kits into the car.
We moved the dash a little farther forward in the car than it was before just to give some room for crawling in & out.

Once fitted we started marking/cutting/drilling the dash for gauges & switches:

Underneath where the tach and shift light will mount I put in a backer piece of thin steel just to add some strength. Probably didn't need it but I liked the idea:

Switches, buttons & lights went in the dash next. Top row is Transbrake light, LineLock light, start button. Switches are Ign, Fuel, water pump, fan, lights, extrea, extra:

From there wiring started . . . . and went on & on & on:

The car had components mounted to the inside of the firewall and the trans tunnel, but I've always liked the panel approach. I was going to wire every single thing, but the Leash Electronics Sportsmans box really really simplifies things. In the end, this is my electronics board:

Installed on the passenger floor area:

In this pic you can see where I really started getting carried away with wire. I bought a mess of modern GXL wire remnants on eBay in various colors & stripes so that I could keep it all straight:

Red is hard to avoid so there are a couple of red runs. All grounds are black, and pretty puch everything else is it's own color. There's a 4 page MS Visio wiring diagram to keep it all straight.

This is not the latest of pics, but close. This is how it all came out in the car:

I'll try to get a couple of overall shots and some corner detail shots posted later. Gauges will be back in eventually and I added a voltmeter to the car. That electronics panel is grounded all the way back to the main battery cable at the frame.

Another thing not shown here is a jive little wiring harness that allows me to plug/unplug my delay box for times that I want to be in or out of that class.

Everything tested out OK. I have to extra switches in the dash for later; one will get a fan for the driver. The car now has functioning brake lights as well as running lights.

I'm real happy with it and I think maintenance will be a lot easier in the future.

Just sharing.

-Hemicbx

Looks good, one tip I have .. paint the top of the dash flat black, those things reflect like a MF'er

ok, we need a complete picture of the dart. nice job on the wire job.

BigDad, I thought about the same thing. I am a little bit worried about it. We'll see how it goes because I'm too lazy to pull the windshield back out now

The dash looks great. I like the Jegs but I went with a S&W dash cause I can fit a 5" speedo into it, but this is for my 72 satellite which will be a race car but still see street occasionally.

Here is that picture , sorry been sitting for a while but it's has all the gauges I wanted mounted and wired up. That's wierd not sure why it got flipped when I uploaded it. Crazy things

Attachments

• image.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 500
fixed it for you.

Attachments

• dash.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 537
Oh okay. It was wierd when I loaded it, it was normal once it uploaded it flipped. Crazy

-
Back