Dart heater box interchange

-

Mineallmine

Reaction score
Looking to find out what year heater boxes will fit in the early A's. If I have figured right 63-66 dart are the same, but what about the later Darts? I saw a 1970 (I think...somewhere from 67-70 IIRC) for sale and it looked pretty much the same. The only obvious difference I could see is that 63-66 have heater ducts pointing down and 67 up have them pointing towards seat. Is there some other fitment issue? Does the duct facing forward matter? Mine has the usual broken door and this one looks good, so was considering the swap if it will work.

Thanks

Looking to find out what year heater boxes will fit in the early A's. If I have figured right 63-66 dart are the same, but what about the later Darts? I saw a 1970 (I think...somewhere from 67-70 IIRC) for sale and it looked pretty much the same. The only obvious difference I could see is that 63-66 have heater ducts pointing down and 67 up have them pointing towards seat. Is there some other fitment issue? Does the duct facing forward matter? Mine has the usual broken door and this one looks good, so was considering the swap if it will work.

Thanks
I believe 63-66 non A/C are the same. I recently sold a 66 A/C box which is the first I have come across. I'm not an expert on 67-76. 75-76 non A/C and
A/C boxes may be different than 67-74. The firewalls and front floor hump are a little different on 75-76 cars because of catalytic converters.

That shows the later, I am looking to see if the later will fit into the earlier darts. Thanks for the link though. The box I'm looking at is non-A/C. Mine is also non A/C. Looking at it, it looks basically the same. I do see about different size heater tubes but that's a non-issue for me. I can easily deal with either changing heater hoses or the heater core itself.

So after looking a little closer I am thinking there are more differences than I originally thought. Though the case appears close to the same, the cable locations are a little different which could possibly pose an issue (one in later boxes is between the heater tubes while earlier has the 2 closest to the vent door) and the plug for the resistor has 2 prongs vs 3 on earlier boxes. Could be made to work I'm sure if mounting is the same but I'll probably just keep an eye out for a clean box or just repair the door on mine. Thanks A-body for the help

-
Back