Dart Lite Rear Axle Ratio?

-

thedartsport

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just bought a 1976 Dart Lite with the 4 speed OD. I went to a couple fender decoding sites (which all seem to stop at '74), and tried to see what this car came with. According to a couple sites, this thing has a 3.91? In a 7.25? I don't believe it, but I also couldn't find another site that went to that new of a car. It also says the car was built in 1966, so yeah I'm skeptical. Other than that, everything is correct from what I can tell. Any thoughts?

Code

Description

E24

225 1 Barrel 6 Cyllinder

D24

4 Speed Manual Transmission w/o Drive

LL29

L = Dodge Dart / Demon

L = Low

29 = 2 Door Sports Hardtop

C6G

C = Special Order 6 CYL

6 = 1966

G = St. Louis, MO, USA

Sequence Number '167968'

KB1

Paint Code: Powder Blue

A1X9

Trim Grade/Style/Color

A = A Class

1 = Cloth and Vinyl Bench

X9 = Black

Upper Door Frame: Full Door Panel

Date Built: 2 / 04 / 1966

Order Number: 113305

KB1

Roof Type OR Color: Powder Blue

U

Built to Specifications for USA Order

A31

3.91:High Preformence Axle Package

B43

Manual Brakes

G51

Unknown At This Time

N37

Unknown At This Time

A1

Unknown At This Time

END

End of Codes

upload_2018-11-12_18-17-34.jpeg

Any online decoder that is not accurate & specific to one model year & type of car is useless.

If you find a broadcast sheet in it, you can check for additional information not listed on the fender tag.

You can also check to see if the original axle ratio tag is still present on the rear cover.

Car is over 40 years old. Anything and every thing could have been changed . Pull it apart and check. . With 3.91 the drive shaft should turn almost 4 times to 1 rev of the axle.

No, its not a 3:91. Not from the factory anyway. Try to read some history on it. Allpar may have some info. Probably 2.76

Or a 2.45. Remember the Dart Light was for fuel economy only. No way it would have come with a 3.91. Might as well toss out all the aluminium components on the car as that 3.91 would burn thru the gas quicker than the weight savings elsewhere in the car!

Any online decoder that is not accurate & specific to one model year & type of car is useless.

If you find a broadcast sheet in it, you can check for additional information not listed on the fender tag.

You can also check to see if the original axle ratio tag is still present on the rear cover.
It was a Mopar specific site. It just ended in 1974.

Car is over 40 years old. Anything and every thing could have been changed . Pull it apart and check. . With 3.91 the drive shaft should turn almost 4 times to 1 rev of the axle.
It's a one owner car, and he said he never messed with anything but replacing the slant after it busted a hole in the block. I'll still do that to make sure, but my bet is 2.76 or something taller.

-
Back