Dart with b body 8.75

-

paredes

Reaction score
ive got a b body rear end, looking to swap it into my 68 dart. The car has mini tubs and leaf springs relocated. I have a set of wheels and tires they are 15 x 8 with a 4” back spacing. Would these work?
Thanks

It will depend some on the year of the B-body rear end for sure, not all years are the same.

ive got a b body rear end, looking to swap it into my 68 dart. The car has mini tubs and leaf springs relocated. I have a set of wheels and tires they are 15 x 8 with a 4” back spacing. Would these work?
Thanks

Which B-body rear end? There's like 5 different widths...

An accurate 8 3/4" rear axle width list

Regardless though, I can pretty much guarantee a 15x8 with a 4" backspace won't fit regardless of which B-body rear axle you have. That wouldn't be a good fit even if you had an A-body 8 3/4, you need more backspacing.

I had 15x7 rallys on my 68 dart with factory 8-3/4 and they were tight. I seriously doubt 8" will fit.

You must use a 66-67 B-Body rear and have wheels made or use modern wheels. I did this 20 years ago and had the wheels made at Stockton Wheel in California. I can't remember the backspacing but is was substantial. I had 275x60x15 tires though...

Running a 66 charger rear, with 18*10 wheels on my dart sport. Fills the wheel well nicely. I'm running 265/35r18 but need to go to a 45 or 50 profile for a bit more sidewall. Stock wheel wells no mini tubs. Wheels have -4mm offset which is real close to 4.5" back space on that particular wheel

IMG_20190101_094653.jpg

IMG_20190101_094622.jpg

thanks for the advice. looks like I’m going to have to narrow the rear. And get new wheels.

If you're narrowing the rear you can keep your wheels
Running a 66 charger rear, with 18*10 wheels on my dart sport. Fills the wheel well nicely. I'm running 265/35r18 but need to go to a 45 or 50 profile for a bit more sidewall. Stock wheel wells no mini tubs. Wheels have -4mm offset which is real close to 4.5" back space on that particular wheel

View attachment 1715269309

View attachment 1715269310
He has a Dart Hardtop, which doesn't have the flared out quarter panels like a Duster/Demon body style. Would probably stick out an inch or two on his car.

He has a Dart Hardtop, which doesn't have the flared out quarter panels like a Duster/Demon body style. Would probably stick out an inch or two on his car

Good point, I was thinking that with him running 8 inch wide as opposed to my 10 inch wide, the narrower quarter track of the hardtop would allow the his wheels to sit like mine. But I am not aware of how much wider the quarters are on the duster/demon than the hardtops either.

72 Dart with 65 B body rear needed 5.25" backspace on a 15x7 wheel to be centered. 15x8 would be 5.75 backspace but 5.5 would work. In my situation....

Which B-body rear end? There's like 5 different widths...

An accurate 8 3/4" rear axle width list

Regardless though, I can pretty much guarantee a 15x8 with a 4" backspace won't fit regardless of which B-body rear axle you have. That wouldn't be a good fit even if you had an A-body 8 3/4, you need more backspacing.
I have a '68 Coronet B body 8.75 axle in my 67 Dart. 15x8 wheels do fit but they had 6" of backspace. Custom wheels from Wheel Vintiques.
Blue Dart.JPG

Good point, I was thinking that with him running 8 inch wide as opposed to my 10 inch wide, the narrower quarter track of the hardtop would allow the his wheels to sit like mine. But I am not aware of how much wider the quarters are on the duster/demon than the hardtops either.

The wheel houses on a Duster/Demon/Dart Sport are a full 1" wider than the hardtop Darts. Not only that, but the wheel opening on the quarter panel is much lower. So where a lot of people get away with wide wheels on the sport body cars by having a higher rear ride height and hanging the tires even with, or even outside the quarters, that's just about impossible on a Dart. Your car appears the same, those tires look even with the outside lip on the quarters. Meaning, if you lowered the car down the tires would rub. With a Dart Sport, 18x10's and a '66 B-body rear if you went with 6" to 6.25" of backspace you could put 275/40/18's inside the quarters with no rubbing.

If you actually put the tires inside the quarters and keep the stock leaf spring location, a hardtop Dart is pretty much maxed out with a 255. And on a lot of Darts even that may require trimming the quarter lips, a 245 is really the last "safe" choice, a 255 on some cars would take a lot of work. On a Duster/Demon/Dart Sport you can fit a 275 inside the quarters with everything stock if you run the right backspacing.

I have a '68 Coronet B body 8.75 axle in my 67 Dart. 15x8 wheels do fit but they had 6" of backspace. Custom wheels from Wheel Vintiques. View attachment 1715269388

Yup. Never said the 15x8's wouldn't work, but they sure won't work with a 4" backspace. Really though, there's no big reason you need to go 15x8's on a hard top Dart unless you've done at least a spring offset. Even 255/60/15's will fit on a 15x7, even the manufacturer "measuring rim" for the tire specs is only a 7.5". And the safer bet 245/60/15's are right at home on a 15x7, that's actually the measuring rim for that size tire.

The Dart had 255-60-15 tires on those 8" rims. Yes, it was a tight fit! I was not trying to prove you wrong, I was just stating that with the 6" back space number, it fit on my car without any modifications.

Would a 245 70 14 work with a 66-67 b body 8 3/4 from a charger in a 73 dodge dart?

Would a 245 70 14 work with a 66-67 b body 8 3/4 from a charger in a 73 dodge dart?

Depends entirely on what the backspacing of the wheel is and what you did with the spring perch’s on that B body 8 3/4.

If you look at Lelo Darts post above he needed a 5.25” backspace on a 15x7” to center up the wheel using ‘65 B rear in a ‘72 Dart. Your specs would have to be similar since the rear axle is the same width and you’re dealing with the same body style, it’ll just be down to body tolerances and the spring perch location.

The Dart had 255-60-15 tires on those 8" rims. Yes, it was a tight fit! I was not trying to prove you wrong, I was just stating that with the 6" back space number, it fit on my car without any modifications.
I had a 1966 dart with a early b body rear end you couldn't even tell just had the perches moved in and with the correct back space in the rim worked great! Best 200 bucks spent.

Depends entirely on what the backspacing of the wheel is and what you did with the spring perch’s on that B body 8 3/4.

If you look at Lelo Darts post above he needed a 5.25” backspace on a 15x7” to center up the wheel using ‘65 B rear in a ‘72 Dart. Your specs would have to be similar since the rear axle is the same width and you’re dealing with the same body style, it’ll just be down to body tolerances and the spring perch location.
the rim is 14x7 cragar ss rims.i put new spring perches into a body specs

-
Back