Dash Frame Paint?

-

dusterdemon

Reaction score
I just got my 71 Demon ralley dash frame back from the soda blasters and got it primered. The paint code that I have is an old Ditzler # ( jewel black 9324) suede finish. None of the parts stores that I checked with that mix paint can do anything with this #. Just wondering if anyone has any sugestions or advice on how to get the correct color and texture on my dash frame. Thanks Warren

Year One sells interior paint but only in spray cans. They claim they
are exact duplicates of the factory finish. I'm looking in the catalog now
and it only shows jewel black thru 1969. It only shows black for 1971.

The year one paint is more for interior trim, like kick panels, a-pillars, arm rests, etc. The dash and steering column are black suede, kinda look flat black. Most PPG paint stores should be able to mix it.

Check out OEM Paints on the web. That's where I bought the spray can for my dash frame and it exactly matched both the color and texture. Part number for black is OE90005. It's a bit pricey over the everyday spray can but it's worth it. If you can't find it let me know as I have one can left over from when I did my dash that I never used.

You can use SEM products landau black and dry spray the final coat(s) to get a consistant desired finish. Worked for me. Collars on steering column repainted with it match the dash housing perfectly.
The SEM vynil and plastic spays really are just a laquer based paint with additives to make it flexible. The only tip for the dash house is LOTS OF PAINT ! Spray can paints are mostly vehicle with very little material. Very thin coverage at best . I'd spend 6 cans on a dash to get coverage that isn't easily scared.
and by the way... factory never painted the underside but if you leave it in a light primer or paint it white it will be much easier to see when working under there. good luck

The OEM Paint that I used went on fine with 2 coats and matched the texture of the factory paint perfectly. I haven't had any issues with it scratching off easily or scarring. One can was more than enough to do the job. I just know that for my restoration I was pleased with the results and it's lasted now for going on 3 years with no issues.

Thanks for the reply's. I just got 2 cans of satin black in from Totally Auto. They said it is the correct color and I can achieve thje correct texture by dry spraying the final coat. I will let you know how it turns out. Thanks again Warren

You can buy SEM trim black in cans or in quarts. Its lacquer so its easy to mix at 1:1.

I just got my 71 Demon ralley dash frame back from the soda blasters and got it primered. The paint code that I have is an old Ditzler # ( jewel black 9324) suede finish. None of the parts stores that I checked with that mix paint can do anything with this #. Just wondering if anyone has any sugestions or advice on how to get the correct color and texture on my dash frame. Thanks Warren

Hey Warren, you might want to give David Cherry a call.

He is the owner of Creative Finishing and does powder coating.

He did the dash for my '67 Cuda and it looks great with the suede
finish. It is black also.

Here is his addy:

David Cherry
6417 S. County Rd. 220 SW
Greensburg, IN 47240
Fax 812.591.8112

He does Liquid & Powder Finishing

Thermal / Barrier Header Coating

Sandblasting

-
Back