dash lights

-
We are gonna need some more in--for--ma-tion............

How Mopar Dash Lights Work:

Dimmer controlled dash lamps are powered through the headlight switch OFF THE TAIL/PARK circuit. So that fuse must be good and those lamps must work

Then with the light switch in either park or headlights, twist the dimmer control to the left. Wiggle it around it might have a "bad spot or be dirty."

That power from the dimmer control now LEAVES the light switch on a tan wire and goes down to the INST fuse in the fuse panel. That fuse is usually at one end of the fuse panel. From there, all dimmer controlled lighting goes out from that fuse on ORANGE wire

Does ANY dash lamp work? Shift quadrant? Radio lamp?

We are gonna need some more in--for--ma-tion............

Dimmer controlled dash lamps are powered through the headlight switch OFF THE TAIL/PARK circuit. So that fuse must be good and those lamps must work

Then with the light switch in either park or headlights, twist the dimmer control to the left. Wiggle it around it might have a "bad spot or be dirty."

That power from the dimmer control now LEAVES the light switch on a tan wire and goes down to the INST fuse in the fuse panel. That fuse is usually at one end of the fuse panel. From there, all dimmer controlled lighting goes out from that fuse on ORANGE wire

Does ANY dash lamp work? Shift quadrant? Radio lamp?
none of the dash lights work but all the other functions of the switch work. when i rotate the switch counter clockwise it turns the dome light on.

Hey young Mopar enthusiast!!

Start simple. Is the connector plugged into the instrument panel circuit board? On my 66 Barracuda, the connector is round and provides 12 volts to pins on the back of the dash.

By the way, not sure what car you're working on but always disconnect the battery when pulling a dash. There's power there all time that could ground out and cause more problems.

none of the dash lights work but all the other functions of the switch work. when i rotate the switch counter clockwise it turns the dome light on.
How about what kind of vehicle are you working on?

You have a service manual/ wiring diagram? You can get those free from MyMopar

^^Great^^ Now go to MyMopar and download yourself a free shop manual. That one, by the way, and several others were provided over there by a few of the guys right here
Pull the battery ground for safety. You might want to disconnect the steering column electrical connector, near the bottom of the dash.

Basically, you want to drift out the pin in the steering coupler, work the coupler loose as you go, pull the bolts out of the floor flange holding that end of the column, and then drop the nuts on the clamp up by the dash. Lay the column down on the seat.

Reach up under the dash and release the clip on the speedo cable. Then remove the screws around the dash bezel, and fold/ hing it gently towards the floor. Release harness connections, and unbolt the ammeter connections.

Why are you pulling the cluster? Have you checked the INST fuse for power as I mentioned earlier?

I prefer to remove knobs and bezel nuts from wiper switch and headlight switch leaving those 2 switches connected and laying in the dash. One screw removed from fuse box and headlight switch dropped makes a lot easier reach to speedometer cable too. I can do a lot of it while on my knees in the drivers door opening, reaching in. The rest I can do sitting in the seat. No laying in the floor. I've had a lot of practice though.
nuts on studs behind the column filler hold the column up but... most models have a 3rd piece of mounting hardware, a bit lower on the right side. It is a bolt going into a caged/captured nut. My air ratchet crossed threaded that damn thing once and ruined my day. I wont carry a air ratchet under there again.

i checked the inst fuse it was not getting any power. Does anyone have a circuet diagram of the switch so i can test it.

I've told you how this works and where to get diagrams ----- A repeat of post 2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, make certain your park/ tail lights work........this tells you that the switch is getting power to that section of the switch.

If you are getting no power on the TAN wire which feeds TO the fuse panel.........with the dimmer twisted left and the switch in park or head, then the dimmer rheostat has bad places or otherwise broken, or the siwtch is broken internally

If so examine the dimmer rheostat. If there is nothing going on there, there is only one solution.........a new light switch. You should be able to buy one at most parts stores.

I cant download the manual there is not one for the 1972.
upload_2021-3-5_10-35-28.png

What 67dart273 has written out is illustrated in the post linked below:
No power lights etc but ignition turns over?

There's a '72 Plymouth Service manual. That will be very close to the Dodge version.

Its often useful to draw your own diagrams focused on just the circuits you're interested in.

Also on that same site if you go to the "wiring" section there are 3rd party wiring diagrams, 2 pages each. These are not always finely detailed, but are sometimes easier to follow for some problems.

The crux of the matter is simple......

If the tail lights work, and the tan wire gets no power then the light switch is hosed. You may or may not be able to hag together the dimmer problem

By the way do you know how to remove the switch? The knob does NOT come off the shaft. Reach way up "in" and feel for the release button on the switch. With battery disconnected, pull switch out to "headlights" and release button, pull knob. Knob and shaft will come out

headlight-switch1.jpg

It does not matter, Ford/ GM/ Chrysler, they all used "the button" back in the day

There is one fuse that doesn't have power on either end of it until head light switch is pulled to park lamp position. With park lamps on, good fuse should have power at both ends. Your test lamp should brighten and dim like the dash lamps as you turn the switch rheostat.

-
Back