Dash Pad Experience

-

tcgilly

Reaction score
I'm fixing up my 1968 Barracuda. I need a new dash pad. I'm seeing several repop companies. I'm not sure which is the best? FABO members from your experience what "stay away froms" or recommendations do you have? thanks

Ok I'm not going to be much help with a dash pad but welcome and if that is your Cuda, Very Nice.
:)

Yeah, Im in the market as well. Hoping to not spend $700. Might just have to stick vinyl on the old one.

I'm fixing up my 1968 Barracuda. I need a new dash pad. I'm seeing several repop companies. I'm not sure which is the best? FABO members from your experience what "stay away froms" or recommendations do you have? thanks

My recommendation??

Recover the originals!

Here's a pic of mine, done by Just Dashes.

All three pieces recovered for approx. 1000.00 Canadian. Just redoing the top dash pad would be a lot cheaper. Definitely worth a phone call.

dscn4581-jpg.jpg

My recommendation??

Recover the originals!

All three pieces recovered for approx. 1000.00 Canadian. Just redoing the top dash pad would be a lot cheaper. Definitely worth a phone call.

View attachment 1715844385
Thanks for the recommendation. Your dash looks beautiful! How long was the turnaround time for yours?
Thanks

Just dashes just quoted me 650 ish for one. Let me know if you get a different answer.

Thanks for the recommendation. Your dash looks beautiful! How long was the turnaround time for yours?
Thanks

Thanks!

It took about 3 months but they told me it would be that long when I spoke with them. Work is impeccable, proper density foam was used, grain of the covering is exact, no seams or wrinkles visible anywhere.

Thanks!

It took about 3 months but they told me it would be that long when I spoke with them. Work is impeccable, proper density foam was used, grain of the covering is exact, no seams or wrinkles visible anywhere.
I definitely value the quality first. I just went on their website and they are off until Jan 3rd. I'm going to get a quote from them. Thanks again.

ABC Moparts is the best, but like many you will find out that the material everyone uses comes from China and most places do not have that material in stock right now! Once you narrow your list down to three, contact them and ask what the turn around time is RIGHT NOW, do not listen to others who had their pads done in 2019, the times have changed. Call Bob at ABC Moparts...

ABC Moparts is the best, but like many you will find out that the material everyone uses comes from China and most places do not have that material in stock right now! Once you narrow your list down to three, contact them and ask what the turn around time is RIGHT NOW, do not listen to others who had their pads done in 2019, the times have changed. Call Bob at ABC Moparts...
Thanks. I just went on their website. I'll give Bob a call. Appreciate the advice...

My recommendation??

Recover the originals!

View attachment 1715844385
ABSOLUTELY YES!!! Just dashes did mine about 25 years ago. I think it was about $250 back then, and that was a lot to me. The dash looked amazing 25 years ago when I got it back, and it still looks amazing. Plus, you know it is going to fit perfect because you are getting your dash back.

Aren't there 2 repops offered?
1 is cheap Chinese, lightweight crap.
The other is heavier, better quality, made in the USA and around $700.

Why not try your local upholstery shop? They would be local, saving shipping and you would be supporting a community business. Since you have to remove it anyway....

Just buy the 68 repro from PG classics or BEA parts.
Vans should be the same made by PG classics.

A '68 cuda has a 3-piece, upper and lower pad. Price is closer to $1K. Just Dashes did mine- very nice.

Aren't there 2 repops offered?
1 is cheap Chinese, lightweight crap.
The other is heavier, better quality, made in the USA and around $700.

When I researched them, I found out that the repops were using a plastic inner structure instead of metal that was subjuct to warping.
Also, cheap low density foam that shrinks over time and very low quality outer covering. These were Chinese made . I never saw the American version as it was not available in 2018 when I was looking.

Why not try your local upholstery shop? They would be local, saving shipping and you would be supporting a community business. Since you have to remove it anyway....

I attempted to do that Rusty RatRod but the results I saw were not as good as using the proper method. Just Dashes uses a shrink wrap process that provides a factory look. a little more expensive but I figure I'm looking at the dash probably more than any other part of the car so I wanted it right.

https://abcmoparts.com/home/ols/products/1968-a-body-dart-barracuda-steel-dash-pad
Another vote for ABC Moparts.
I'll never use Just Dashes again. Very expensive and they don't replace the foam. They just patch the bad spots.

I just checked the site you posted and ABC Moparts offer refurbished dash pads , not new and you have to provide a core. Also, none in stock so probably awaiting materials like everyone else. I did not know about this company when I did mine.
Also, when I spoke to Just Dashes about doing my dash pads, they explicidly asked me if I wanted new foam. Also, they asked me if I wanted the metal frame protected against rust. I have no complaints at all with their workmanship but that was a a few years ago. Hopefully, nothing has changed since then as Im starting a new project and wouldn't hesitate to use them again.

It has been a while since I've used JD so maybe they have changed. We spent 3000.00 have them do a complete 70 Cuda vert interior. Looked good be wouldn't go that route again.
Yes ABC uses an original core and they fit real good. Here is one of his E pads. Grain is real close to correct.

20200914_133328.jpg

-
Back