Dash pad repair - thoughts

-

moparhunter

Reaction score
Hi All.
I have a dash pad from a Dart that has one tiny little crack up in the corner by the windshield post that I like to seal up so it doesn’t get any worse.Any thoughts on what I could use ? it’s literally 1/4 of a inch long . I know they’re kind of notorious for cracking there So I know other people for sure have dealt with this. It’s out of the car so get into it is not an issue

My OEM 67 dash cap was/is in excellent condition except for a tiny crack at the left forward most corner. While I had entire dash out anyway I looked closer at pads construction. Found very little padding there, vinyl wrapped over edge of the metal substrate. I lifted the vinyl back a little and trimmed the metal to a larger radius or lesser corner. Bonded the vinyl back with high strength contact adhesive, small piece of wood, and C clamp. I use the little free sample pieces of formica from Lowes to keep adhesive separate from my clamping and work. They're great when plastic welding like inst' bezels too. Anyway... I might have whittled away a slither of padding. This was several years ago. I'm sure I did sand the vinyl and the metal so my adhesive would get a good tooth.
The crack in the vinyl is now hidden underneath. I suppose it could grow and show itself again someday. For now, its gone.

Last edited:
-
Back