Dash painted or factory?

-

bricud

Cuda's Cuda
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 69 Barracuda and have begun to take apart the interior for restoration. I noticed that the paint is peeling in spots off of the dash. It looks like someone painted a red dash black. Was this factory or was this done after the fact? Can you recommend a place to look relating to restoring the dash? Here are some pics.

Thanks

dash paint left.jpg

Dash paint right.jpg

dash paint top.jpg

Fender tag might say what color it came with originally. I would almost say it had red interior and someone painted it black.

Not factory, it has been rattle canned.

with it falling off, take the dash out and use a hot pressure washer and see if all that black will come off. Needs to come off anyway.

what color do you want it to be?

Last edited:
Or the dash had to be replaced for many reasons, at some stage of its life.
Easily re painted with interior Mopar colored paints from a can.

That looks after that fact.

Fender tag and any survivng build sheets will help you confirm what the car was built with.

Digitized 1969 Paint and trim selection books are available here
The 1970 Hamtramck Registry Library Page (1965 - 1969)
If you look under Barracuda you'll see the interior combinations that were available.
The color combinations and placement are also usually listed in the shop manual. Sometimes (67 Plymouth FSM for example) they are not.
Even whern different metal parts on the interior gotthe same color, some is matte, some is glossy, and some is suede.
Dash and Dashpad - What to do?

In '67 Steering column, glove box fasce and rest of instrument panel got the suede ( so as not to reflect light or cause glare)
Inside doors etc got gloss
interior paint

Another reference to locations here, although with PPG's color codes.
1969 Plymouth

Last edited:
Not factory, it has been rattle canned.

with it falling off, take the dash out and use a hot pressure washer and see if all that black will come off. Needs to come off anyway.

what color do you want it to be?
It has all black interior now so I wanted it to be black.

That looks after that fact.

Fender tag and any survivng build sheets will help you confirm what the car was built with.

Digitized 1969 Paint and trim selection books are available here
The 1970 Hamtramck Registry Library Page (1965 - 1969)
If you look under Barracuda you'll see the interior combinations that were available.
The color combinations and placement are also usually listed in the shop manual. Sometimes (67 Plymouth FSM for example) they are not.
Even whern different metal parts on the interior gotthe same color, some is matte, some is glossy, and some is suede.
Dash and Dashpad - What to do?

In '67 Steering column, glove box fasce and rest of instrument panel got the suede ( so as not to reflect light or cause glare)
Inside doors etc got gloss
interior paint

Another reference to locations here, although with PPG's color codes.
1969 Plymouth
Good stuff. thanks.

For the instrument panel itself, if you send it out for plastic chroming and repainting, see the posts linked below

Either get in writing they get the details right, or if they can't do that, then finish it yourself.
The service I used was good but touching up and correcting the little details was more difficult with the panels already assembled.

Backside is an off-white and flat black for proper illumination and should not be chromed.
Barracuda script is black on the sides
Argent or sueded aluminum around the radio knobs (1969 may be different)
Discussion and photos here
Rally dash redo p 6
Rally dash redo p. 7
Rally dash redo p.7

Last edited:
-
Back