Dashboard voltage regulator for 1964 Dart 170

-

64Dart-Rookie

Reaction score
New to the forum...but have spent hours hear reading strings on this. STILL can't figure out if my model has the regulator built in to the gas gauge of separate regulator. Not the greatest mechanic...but this is driving me crazy. Already have the part that the auto parts say I should have but...where the heck is it in the car? Any help will definitely get you on my Christmas card list! Thanks, Bruce
IMG_20191110_121740171.jpg
IMG_20191110_121740171.jpg

IMG_20191027_135413506.jpg

IMG_20191027_140818579.jpg

See the gauge that has 3 studs on the circuit board ( the one above the connector ) that has the IVR built into it. There are lots of write up on this site on how to repair this.

Brian

This thread should help...
dash gauge question
You can use that part house limiter as shown above but... ground it to the car chassis. The instrument panel isn't grounded before it is attached to the dash with those few screws. Even then its not a good ground. This is also stated in the linked thread.
The limiter/regulator doesn't have to be behind the inst' panel or dangling from the wiring.
If your part store would exchange for a limiter for the E-body/challenger/barracuda it will have a bolt ear on it so you can mount it anywhere under the dash, just like those cars. You'll simply need longer wires to hook it up ( just like those cars).

Last edited:
This thread should help...
dash gauge question
You can use that part house limiter as shown above but... ground it to the car chassis. The instrument panel isn't grounded before it is attached to the dash with those few screws. Even then its not a good ground. This is also stated in the linked thread.
The limiter/regulator doesn't have to be behind the inst' panel or dangling from the wiring.
If your part store would exchange for a limiter for the E-body/challenger/barracuda it will have a bolt ear on it so you can mount it anywhere under the dash, just like those cars. You'll simply need longer wires to hook it up ( just like those cars).
Great...that will hopefully get it done. Thanks for the follow-up.

I just use a standard (and cheap) 7805 regulator mounted on a small perf board with a heat sink. It's been working great for years and cost me about 2 bucks.

-
Back