Day 1, project trans am series 1965 dart

-

dodge29

Reaction score
new here but been around the moparchat forumn's for years especially the oval track forumn, since my driver whos also my daughter decided to go to college instead of racing, priorities all wrong if you ask me, however we decided to quit chasing circles, needed something to keep me busy, keep me from going totally crazy, hence project Dart, which started with an all original car from California, I can hardly believe how little rust is on this car, it may of started life as an air force vehicle, sure looks like it, military stickers are still on it....
Dodge29

IMG_0119.jpg

IMG_0117.jpg

considering my race background, not going to be happy with a daily driver....i love old Nascar race cars and trans am series car.....so this was day one, on stands, removed hood, deck lid, both doors, started gutting interior since we will use almost none of it, I needed a solid nearly rust free car and this is exactly what I found, very simple project, a purpose built trans am look alike from the late 60's early 70's. something we decided to call the Ferrari killer....

simple project, 440cid small block, pushing hps thru a 6 speed Tremec back to a grand national full float rear end, all hung by the latest coil over suspension and 4 link system,rack & pinion steering, 14 point cage, no interior, interior painted to match exterior, aluminum trimmed interior, a pair of late model srt front seats, no respectable trans am car would ever have a back seat, simple aluminum dash, straight out of Nascar, all electronics mounted on transmission hump, and i gave in to the old lady, she demands a kick *** stereo system, therefore it will have a sound system, no air conditioning but will have very basic heat to keep windshield from fogging in fall and winter months, located at the foothills of the Appalachians, we have basically no winters, but lack of heat could make it difficult to see at times.....plus must keep better half somewhat happy....
not sure on color, really thinking Petty blue or plum crazy, however i dont know if plum crazy would look good on this type of vintage car....will have a early 70's style nose chin and a Nascar style rear spoiler, this will be a race car with license plates, since the age of the car, no state inspection is required and thats a good thing, it will have working lights, but no emergency brakes, simple and yet brutal....already have the engine, will have to detune for the street......
Dodge

440 SB ??

Ya keeping the inner fenders?

Solid looking start, welcome

dont know about the inner fenders, worried about space, plan on running a mandrel drive fuel pump, unlike the stock car, need an alternator, my plan is to basically drop one of my stock car motors into it, have a brand new 413 that has never been raced, 13.4 compression, since no methanol, going to diassemble bottom end and replace pistons and change rod length to get to 440 cid's, bit cheeky, will actually be a 438, 6.255 rod lentgh, going to have to turn the main's down, i have a brand new pair of Indy X heads, flowing above 300......planning on 225 or 235/45r17 fronts, and 265/35r17's back, Nittos nt555.....drove a used srt with the Nitto's some time back as a demo, the Nitto's rocked!!!!
since this car will be driven, not a garage queen, would prefer to keep inner fenders, will be fair weather only, but so much easyer to keep engine bay clean with them on...
this is not my first a body, race one in stock and super stock back in the late 90's before going to open wheel modifieds....

hated the torsion bars, the a bodies in a a dirt stock application have a significant issue with bump steer, also the front is much too weak to handle the stress of constant cornering left, in a class were stock components are mandated, the car does not do well, much to twicchy, was either very fast or a ill handling monster to drive, tended to be unpredictable, may be why going grey....the good thing is that very few tech inspector know anything about Dodge's racing on dirt and you can get away with just about murder....in the words of the King, they must be cheating cause we are and their beating us....
Dodge

as you can see day 2, engine has been removed, interior gutted and very happy to see very little cancer to be found
Dodge29

Great idea. You'll want streamlined front end and that doggone candy cane trim will lose alot of efficient airflow. Tell ya what......I'll take that time losing stuff off your hands if you want and even pay you for it.
Hey....worth an attempt........seriously though, would love to see the Dart burning up the track.

really want to use the power steering set up and the mandrel driven fuel pump, probably not very practical in this new application, but it looks so than cool.....i figure a way to make it work.....
Dodge29

everything that comes off is for sale, not planning on using side trim, very clean look, no moldings, may go with glass hood and definitelly want some sort of working ram air system, cowl induction scoop maybe, thought about the TA hood scoop, but not sure fits the look, looks great on later vintage Darts....
Dodge29

-
Back